• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

OK, I'll ask. How did Andy Jackson end up on the USS Constitution?
I didn't know either, untill I read the story. Evidently it wasn't a very popular decision at the time. Pretty funny story of how it was removed the first time too.

Last edited:
I didn't know either, untill I read the story. Evidently it wasn't a very popular decision at the time. Pretty funny story of how it was removed the first time though.
Typical South Carolinian politician. You either hate'm or love'em. :rotf

What was the degree of rake on the masts? I haven't found the answer yet. It may have changed over time too. The masts in the kit, or the one I'm building anyway, don't fit snug. My Foremast actually had a rake toward the bow. All of the plan drawings of the real ship shows
IMG_20210626_192915389.jpg
1817-sail-drawing-of-the-uss-constitution (1).png
the Foremast with no rake. The Mainmast with a slight rake to the stern, and the Mizzen with a degree or two more than the Main. I had to do some filing to get mine adjusted.

I'm glad I thought to test the top deck & masts fit before getting the gun deck done. It's proven to be a lot of work to get that deck, and masts right, I'm pretty sure I would of had many broke cannon. To get the mast's rake right I had to enlarge the holes in the gun deck, then I made new pieces and drilled the mast holes so the masts will set at the proper rake when installed. These pieces fit in the molded deck coamings. The masts fit tighter in these new fittings also👌
I'll shoot some black on them, and glue them in 👍
IMG_20210627_134553716_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20210627_135029179.jpg

Today's work. I glued the new mast "steps" (more like just holes on this kit) fixed the areas of the deck that had gaps where it glues to the bullwarks. I'm much happier with the snug fit now of the masts. Just for drill I wanted to see how the catheads fit....not to good! So, I filed, and sanded on them, much better. Am I going to have to do this with every part? The magic 8 ball say's yes...
IMG_20210627_175605499-01.jpeg
IMG_20210627_175541113-01.jpeg

The spar deck was a poor fit. Especially where the deck meets the transom at the stern. I added a piece of styrene to fill the gap.
IMG_20210627_114452607.jpg
IMG_20210627_175900383.jpg

The Catheads fit was terrible. Some filing helped a lot. At least now the taff rail won't hit them when it's installed.
IMG_20210627_175731738-01.jpeg

I know this must be a boring build to follow so far. I can say figuring out solutions to the kit's short comings has been a bit of a challenge on my end. I believe I have the major issues whipped though. Now...on to the very exciting process of getting 30 identical cannon ready! 👍

Nice work so far.......never seen one of these kits built.:good:
Thanks for looking Ian. It's my third experience with this iconic kit over about fifty years. So, when I bought the ticket I knew what I was in for...lol.
Btw Ian, I was searching for a build/Diorama you did several years ago of a larger scale U boat. I've looked though your Masters threads, but don't see it. Do you remember where it was posted here?

Back