• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

Captain Hull just keeps on yelling
IMG_20221204_141301347-01.jpeg

Starting to think about the sails. And how I want them to look. In general pulling off sails on a model ship well is a pretty tricky affair. In my opinion they can easily ruin an otherwise beautifully built model. On my 1/96 scale build all fabric/cloth type material is out of the question. As a matter of fact I don't think there's any material that's going to be ideal. There's going to be compromise. In my case after some experimenting Kleenex seems to be the choice for what I'm doing. Kleenex wouldn't work at all for displaying set sails. But I'm displaying the ship at anchor with sails furled, with the lower yard sails loosely furled (drying out).
The pic shows my first crude experiment as it looks with a 50/50 white glue/water mix applied using an eye dropper. I'm pleased so far. The experimenting will continue...
IMG_20221209_140255207-01.jpeg

Really nice but how you going to get it inside all that rigging?
Looking at how the professionals do it the yards are fully rigged (blocks, footropes etc with the sails attached before adding the yards to the model. That's how I plan to do it too. This was just a test. I wanted to see if the Kleenex would even work.

Had to modify the workbench to do the upper ratlines. Luckily the center drawer of the bench was just wide enough for the hull to sit in. It dropped the model down enough for the top mast's to be at eye level. The piece of plywood gives my elbows to rest on while tying the knots.
IMG_20221210_132157409-01.jpeg
IMG_20221210_132516859-01.jpeg

WOOooooooo!! :notworthyDrinks::good:
That I know of, you are the first Modeler's Alliance member to ever do such a job on any ship! :drool:
From wence comes your passion for such things, I wunda?

There is so much more that could be done with this kit than I'm doing. However, since I'm such a slow builder it's best I don't get lost in the weeds with it.

Back