• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

Still stringing the upper ratlines. To get a break from all of that I built the top, topgallant and royal yards. They're just sitting in place for now. There's a lot to do still before they're permanently added.
IMG_20230108_165443793-01-01.jpeg
IMG_20230108_165242298-01.jpeg

If I'm not mistaken you still have the rigging on the yardarms to do as well, it's looking fantastic!

I'd be crossed eye way before all this. Excellent work throughout thus far! :vgood:
Thanks errains. The running rigging (all the lines that work the yards and sails) still have to be added. It's going to get stupid from here...lol.

The ship could carry another set of yard
IMG_20230108_165535806-01.jpeg
arms above the Royals called the Sky yards. Most of the time it had 13 rigged though. However I did read a period log entry that mentions an order given to haul in the Sky sails, so they were fitted at times. The kit supplies only the 13.

DSC_0001_38-02.jpeg

Still in dry dock to add the top gallant mast's ratlines. This setup is so I can reach the upper masts while resting my elbows for steadiness.
I had to abandon the build to remodel our home's guest bathroom. I figure one more weekend and that nightmare will be wrapped up.
Back to the ship. I've ordered some lite weight Silkspan. It's used as a covering for flying models. Pro model shipwrights find it a good material for making scale sails. I want to try it out myself.

Shes Gorgeous. WOW WOW WOW!!! I love seeing these old ships built but I would never in a million years have the patience to do what you're doing. Just amazing.
James

Tim, you might also want to look at a material called Polyspan, although there are many lightweight cloth like covering materials available, used by small scale and indoor model flyers.

Thanks. I'll check it out 👍.
Btw, I have several vintage RC plane kits, including a 1/4 scale version of "Buster". I hope I don't get sidetracked with all this plane covering business...lol.

Back