• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

Not all drunks are sailors. Not all sailors are drunks. US Navy ships are historically "dry" save what the Flight Surgeon (and the Chiefs) dispense.
Sailor's curses may be many. :frantic:

I couldn't stand it any longer and started looking at the Heller HMS Victory kit that I'll be starting after the Constitution build. Examining the part sprues of the Heller Victory kit proved it's a completely different animal than the Revell Constitution. Most agree despite it's short comings the Heller Kit is the best plastic ship model available. Both kits are roughly the same scale, Revell's Constitution is 1/96 but some say it is actually more like 1/100 as the Heller Victory is. The Victory hull and Constitution side by side.
IMG_20221218_163503976-01.jpeg
IMG_20221218_163442425-01.jpeg

Oh my gosh! Do I see a two ship battle diorama coming on? Cotton for cannon smoke!...oh wait, it's moored. Never mind.

This is utterly fascinating to me, I must say. It reminds me of my childhood. I was probably around 6 or 7, and was obsessed with pirates and ships. I actually had a dream that I was the cabin boy on a ship, and we were after pirates. They were holed up in a little bay, and my ship took them on. Funny thing is, I had that dream six times, at least. I could go to bed and say, outloud, "I want to have that dream", and it was on. I wish I could still do that, but there is too much crap up in there to have that dream any longer, but you are bringing it up as a memory. Thank you!!

Wow, that would be one wild engagement! Amazing comparison! Victory sat very low in the water compared to Constitution. That was one massive ship. Quite the dreadnought of her day.

Oh my gosh! Do I see a two ship battle diorama coming on? Cotton for cannon smoke!...oh wait, it's moored. Never mind.

This is utterly fascinating to me, I must say. It reminds me of my childhood. I was probably around 6 or 7, and was obsessed with pirates and ships. I actually had a dream that I was the cabin boy on a ship, and we were after pirates. They were holed up in a little bay, and my ship took them on. Funny thing is, I had that dream six times, at least. I could go to bed and say, outloud, "I want to have that dream", and it was on. I wish I could still do that, but there is too much crap up in there to have that dream any longer, but you are bringing it up as a memory. Thank you!!
I probably was the pirate...😆

Wow, that would be one wild engagement! Amazing comparison! Victory sat very low in the water compared to Constitution. That was one massive ship. Quite the dreadnought of her day.
Because both ships are legendary there's the age old debate as to how they would do against each other in a one on one battle. The Victory's superior fire power could easily destroy Constitution with a broadside. The Constitution had speed and maneuverability on her side. I think it would come down to cunning, skill and luck as to which came out better.

Last edited:
Arrr..
The Weather Gauge

The faster, more maneuverable ship's tactic would be to cut across Her opponents stern and shoot off her rudder. If the plan was to capture the disabled (prize) ship, bombarding her masts might follow. Continued blasting of the disabled vessel's stern might well sink Her. Even a vessel as grand as HMS Victory.

USS Constitution might have stayed out of reach of Victory's guns until an advantage could be exploited. It would be a bold Captain indeed, that might attack a Royal Navy First Rate with his Frigate.

Back