• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

Hey Tim, I ran across this the other day. It is an old Norman Rockwell painting called "A Good Boy" or also, "The Shipbuilder". Enjoy!

Norman Rockwell The Shipbuilder 1922 m.jpg

DSC_0010_4-01.jpeg
DSC_0022_1-04.jpeg
DSC_0006_8-03.jpeg
DSC_0006_8-03.jpeg
DSC_0019_6-01.jpeg
DSC_0009_5-05-01.jpeg
All of the mast's and bowsprit standing rigging is done. I feel like I'm making some progress on this thing now👏
I take great pains to keep the lines knots as unnoticeable as possible. I've also made it possible for me to be able to adjust the tension on as many of the lines as possible as the build goes on. As I mentioned before, I want to wait as long as possible to add the shroud's ratlines.
Next is the yards, ship's boat's davits and running rigging.
Time wise I think the model will be completed this time next year 👍
DSC_0008_9-05.jpeg
DSC_0013_3-05.jpeg
DSC_0024-02.jpeg
DSC_0001_30-05.jpeg

Last edited:
See here the jungle of intricate rigging that my much smaller sailing vessels do not attempt to display. :tens:
Will all the yard's sport stun'sl yards?
USS Constitution's chances of leaving the house seem to be shrinking as you go, Suh. :notworthy

See here the jungle of intricate rigging that my much smaller sailing vessels do not attempt to display. :tens:
USS Constitution's chances of leaving the house seen to be shrinking as you go, Suh. :notworthy
I'm going to put the booms on all the yards that have them in the stowed position. The model will be displayed as a waterline diorama. It will be at anchor with sails furled. I chose not to cut the hull. Instead I'm going to cut the hole in the "water" base.
That's why I haven't been concerned with the copper below the water line.

Now that'll be taking it to the next level. We never see the tall ships in such a display
We have a large black lacquer two door cabinet that Constitution's glass display case will set on top of. It will put the viewing height at about the same as in the last three pics.

USS Constitution's chances of leaving the house seem to be shrinking as you go, Suh. :notworthy
I haven't fitted the spanker boom to see how far it extends past the stern. But yes, things are getting tight on my workbench. Because I constantly have to flip the model around to tie opposite side lines I keep catching the jib boom on the wall, magnifying light or me...lol. I'm glad I replaced the plastic one with wood.

I have decided now is the time to add the ratlines to the upper mast's shrouds. I also have all of the sheer poles on the shrouds. Made them using piano wire. They're very thin but very stiff. You can make them out running along above the deadeyes. Second pic shows they are not much larger in diameter then the one coarse of ratline thread I ran on the lower foremast.
IMG_20221204_090425296-01.jpeg
IMG_20221204_091132366-01.jpeg

Into the nitty gritty of this build now. I'm beginning to think I might just see it through to the bitter's end!...see what I did there? "Bitter's end" the name given for the length of rope past a loop. Mostly related to the anchor line.

Back