• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

Hmm, (He said eying bigger scale rigging with envious eyes) Is all that possible in a much smaller scale?
NAH! Not without a Colonial Tricorn. My insanity only goes so far.
Are you using the Uschi rigging thread that stretches and snaps back?
Amazing, as usual!

Hmm, (He said eying bigger scale rigging with envious eyes) Is all that possible in a much smaller scale?
NAH! Not without a Colonial Tricorn. My insanity only goes so far.
Are you using the Uschi rigging thread that stretches and snaps back?
Amazing, as usual!
Lol...we have two tricorns!
I'm not using the stretch line. I'm using a mix of 100% cotton and a nylon/cotton thread, of different thickness that I got from Hobby Lobby. The kit supplied line looked to big and out of scale. I like the nylon because there's no fuzz but the pure cotton has more "grab" when tying knots.

Back home from our trip to Florida and now my wife and I are quarantined for testing pos with Covid 😤. Anyway, I managed to get the upper mast's painted and glued on the lowers. Next step is the tricky top mast futtock shrouds. It's hard to get good pics of the ship because of it's size.
DSC_0004_23-04.jpeg
DSC_0005_14-05.jpeg

WOW (and lots of other expletives that express disbelief and admiration that follow "WOW")!
WOW!!
Do she float on an even keel? :drunksailor:

Working on the fore top mast futtock shrouds. Their purpose is to anchor the deadeye's for the top mast shrouds. They are also used for crews to climb to the upper mast's (No self respecting sailor would use the lubber hole!)
Each of these ropes attach to stays that cris-cross behind the lower main mast and secure to their opposite channels. At least on the model. On the real ship the stays are secured inside the bulwarks.
It's impossible to model the futtock shrouds as they are on the real ship so this is the best way I could come up with at this scale. They have ratlines and I made one run of them on the side I have done.
DSC_0007_7-02.jpeg
DSC_0008_9-02.jpeg
DSC_0009_6-01.jpeg
DSC_0011_7-01.jpeg

Looking good Tim! Having built this at one time I can see the differences in what you are doing vs. what I did when I built mine.

Duly Impressed!

Do I understand correctly that each captain could have their own rigging? That the rigging on these ships were unique as the master were?

Do I understand correctly that each captain could have their own rigging? That the rigging on these ships were unique as the master were?
As far as the rig goes I'm not sure how much leeway they had with. purpose built commissioned ships like Constitution or ships of line like HMS Victory Bob. I know that Nealson had the color scheme of Victory changed but he was an admiral.
The captains of the privateers had more say over their ships though. Read an account of one War of 1812 American captain, Capt Boyle experimenting with the rig of his privateer to get better performance.
I'm sure each captain had their idea of how to make their ship better than the others. The good ones anyway, like Constitution's Capt. Hull. He was the driving force behind the ship's success for sure.

Back