• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

I never thought Captain Hull looked worried. A Good Skipper tells his people what he wants done. Not how to do it. Loose cannon underway, perhaps, Fitting out sat the dock, not so much. Could be the gunners are greasing the rollers. Keep up the good work! This is an outstanding model ship so far!

Wanna join the ship model club?
Here's the blog!
Maybe worried was the wrong word. More like frustrated with the lack of progress on his ship. Thanks for the link Rhino👍

Fantastic. This is why I never ot into the old ship models.
James
I figure another year on this build. The HMS VICTORY is on deck. I'm hoping I'll pick up some skill and time saving techniques because the Victory is a different level kit.

Still rigging mast shrouds....
Borrowed my wife's revolutionary war tricorn. That wool is hot on the head.
DSC_0001_30-01.jpeg

Rigging the mast's shrouds continues. I have the fore and main done, minus the ratlines. Taking care not to put to much tension on these lines...especially with the plastic mast's. With this in mind I went ahead and rigged the main mast's lower stay lines to keep everything aligned. The kit supplies one piece moldings for the bobstays that attach at the bow but I made new ones. Beside the anchor cables the main stays are the thickest ropes on the ship. The directions show to use one line looped and tied on the mast. In reality there are two lines using a "mouse" and loop design. This is how I did mine. Btw. I have discovered building plans online in PDF by Micro Mark. Excellent photos & drawings!
I've also added pulley blocks under the fighting tops for the lower sail's leach & buntlines. The kit does not mention these but I added them because the sails will be on and furled. The last pic shows how I am leaving the shroud lanyards un-knotted. Once everything is tensioned correctly I'll tie and touch the knots with glue.
DSC_0001_36-02.jpeg
DSC_0002_25-01.jpeg
DSC_0003_21-03.jpeg
DSC_0007_6-01.jpeg

The bowsprit's bobstays are on. The kit's directions on where they go are very confusing and as I finally figured out are wrong. There are six total (3 for each side). Looking over photos I saw that the set farthest out on the bowsprit actually attach forward of the bowsprit's sail yard arm. The kit drawing shows all of them in one big cluster.
DSC_0003_18-02.jpeg
DSC_0005_14-04.jpeg

A little more rigging done on the jib booms.
Something still didn't make sense to me with the bowsprit's bobstays arrangement. So after looking at more photos of the actual ship I took all of them off and started over. Now there are three single bobstays attached under the bowsprit instead of six. This seems right to me.
DSC_0008_9-01.jpeg
DSC_0007_6-02.jpeg

Back