• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

You know it likely changed from one paint job to another. If you can't document what it's supposed to be then neither can a judge. Looks great!

You know it likely changed from one paint job to another. If you can't document what it's supposed to be then neither can a judge. Looks great!
From reading and the little research I've done it seems like you can't get two historians in the room to agree on certain aspects of the ship.

Last edited:
From reading and the little research I've done it seems like you can't get two historians in the room to agree on certain aspects of the ship.

It was a big day for the build. I have all of the masts glued up and everything is straight. Because I'm not using the molded kit's shrouds I won't be following the instructions at this point. The lower mast's will be glued in place and the shrouds will be rigged. Then the upper mast's will be glued to the lowers.
I spent a lot of time cleaning flash and thinning down the fighting top rails to make them look more in scale.
The key to success with this old kit is patience.
DSC_0002_21-01.jpeg
DSC_0003_18-01.jpeg
DSC_0005_14-03.jpeg

Using a piece of scrap styrene to get the mast shroud deadeyes at the same level with each other.
The styrene strip has a proper size hole drilled in it so as to keep enough tension on the shroud line threaded through it to hold the deadeye while it's slid up or down.
DSC_0001_32-03.jpeg

That's crazy man. :notworthy
It's a tedious process. I was watching a video of a build log for the 1:100 Heller HMS Victory, I have the kit, it was mentioned that one modeller spent 13 years on his. Part of that time was developing a photo etch set for the ship that I'm trying to resist!...lol.

I did a couple of ratline runs on the shrouds to see what issues I might encounter with them. It's critical that these run straight. I'm using clove hitch knots and they seem to not be to out of scale so I'll go with that plan.
I'll remove these two practice runs and get serious with them now.
Btw, you can see Capt. Hull on the channel ordering some help for the novice slow poke that volunteered for this duty....
DSC_0002_24-03.jpeg

I'm happy to see Captain Hull overseeing the fitting-out of his most famous Command! And people call ME looney!
Truly impressive ship model making! :tens:

I'm happy to see Captain Hull overseeing the fitting-out of his most famous Command! And people call ME looney!
Truly impressive ship model making! :tens:
Thanks Rhino. I see a loose cannon there on the gun deck and he's worried about a ratline!? 🤨

I never thought Captain Hull looked worried. A Good Skipper tells his people what he wants done. Not how to do it. Loose cannon underway, perhaps, Fitting out sat the dock, not so much. Could be the gunners are greasing the rollers. Keep up the good work! This is an outstanding model ship so far!

Wanna join the ship model club?
Here's the blog!

Back