• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Revell Vought F-8E Crusader ReHab

It seems, I mask this Jet an awful lot. :bang head
F-8_Rehab_15_Mar_2014_3.JPG

:pilot

Ah,me lad, Masks make a man out'ya
sargntmayor_zpse28c209e.jpg

Hasn't helped me yet but I'm still trin'

Sealed, Mask off! Looking metal-ish!
F-8_Rehab_16_Mar_2014_1.JPG

Leading edges came out well.
F-8_Rehab_16_Mar_2014_2.JPG

Just a little squirt of flatcoat for the rear of the reheat nozzle, and Done!
F-8_Rehab_16_Mar_2014_3.JPG

Guess what the ReHab F-8 is getting today?!! :drinks
F-8_Rehab_22_Mar_2014_1.JPG

U got it! MORE MASKING!! :bang head Sealer is on. When I seal masks for paint, I like to use Testor's Metalizer Sealer. Dries fast, seals the tape so the next coat doesn't "creep" on to the base coat.
F-8_Rehab_22_Mar_2014_3.JPG

Glossy black base coat for Leading Edge 'Loomium Alclad, comin' right up!! :pilot

Looks like you cornered the market on Tamiya tape. No wonder I can't find any! :rotf :woohoo: :woohoo:

Looking good, this is really coming along well.

It was bugging me, the grody inside of the Canopy, and the dearth of detail, color, and additional 'scopes the Iron Hand Crusader Driver would need to interdict SAM properly. I gripped & squeezed, just a bit, and off it came!!
F-8_Rehab_23_Mar_2014_1.JPG

more mask-n-unmask-it-mask-n-unmask-it-mask-n-unmask-it! Whatchagonnado? Buy stock in Tamiya & 3M!!

YUP! Loomium! No Rottinin' on this Jet. Now I'm positive Chuck Sterns, and ADM. Richard Bellinger are Guffawing at me from Heaven's gates!!

:bang head :pilot As if this Jet hadn't had enough time & talent expended on it...........
F-8_Rehab_28_Mar_2014_1.JPG

I invested some more silliness/Fun in it today. I made tabs to mount a rudimentary interior........
F-8_Rehab_28_Mar_2014_2.JPG

I had a really cool CMK F-8 cockpit set, but it wouldn't fit thru the opening. They work fine on UNASSEMBLED Crusaders!! (DUH!) I borrowed the interior from a USMC F-8E from Academy. IT FITS IN THE HOLE!! Hallelujah!!
F-8_Rehab_28_Mar_2014_3.JPG

New cockpit coaming, for HUD & SAM intercept Radar scope. Drill hole, cool silver & Tamiya clear Blue!!
I'll never complain, but this Jet, has kinda gone all the way off the Reservation!! IT IS FUN!!

Rock and roll man! "It is fun!" <- That is all that matters! I've had a few kits like that too. Keep going man, I'm having fun just watching this!

Interior parts. I drilled a piece of stretched sprue for the throttle lever, and I sanded down a small piece of clear sprue to make the AGM radar screen. Cockpit tub is painted, sorta!
F-8_Rehab_30_Mar_2014_1.JPG

New throttle installed!
F-8_Rehab_30_Mar_2014_2.JPG

Test fit the Cockpit tub. Looks promising! Check ejection seat, to make sure it doesn't interfere with the kit Canopy. :good:
F-8_Rehab_30_Mar_2014_5.JPG

Instrument panel awaits future instrument faces. Westinghouse air intercept radar screen in Testor's silver and Tamiya clear green.
F-8_Rehab_30_Mar_2014_6.JPG

Tonite we install the faux Cockpit! I got the "dashboard" painted, after I had installed the big 'scope, it turns out, that the use of my crafted piece of clear sprue, it was opaque anyway. Silver & Tamiya Clear Green to the rescue! See?? :pilot
F-8_Rehab_31_Mar_2014_1.JPG

Test fit of the canopy shows you can't see it (except from the pilot's seat!) in any case. I did shade inside the fuselage, to represent structure, just a bit.
F-8_Rehab_31_Mar_2014_2.JPG

Side panels, circuit breakers, Canopy accumulator & jack, sans seat. See the red trigger on the 'stick??
F-8_Rehab_31_Mar_2014_3.JPG

The seat still needs a wash, and harnesses, but it will look a bit like this! :yipee
F-8_Rehab_31_Mar_2014_4.JPG

I still need to add the clear projector lens and reflective panel for the Heads-up-display. Getting Close!!

Back