• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Airmodel Vought F-8 Crusader III

Trial fit of CMK Cockpit;
23_July_14_Crusader_III_6.JPG

23_July_14_Crusader_III_7.JPG

See?!!!
Obviously some fine tuning need done, but this was my epiphany! The whole thing must still fit INSIDE the Vac. Canopy, or I'm SUNK!

I used my tripod, with just 2 legs extended. I set the focus to "Auto" so Macro, yes, then sometimes not. These 7 recent pictures are better. I admit I get excited, and I'll do my best to make better Pict's. so everyone can enjoy them.

Hey Chris I think the cockpit's going to work out fine.

Pictures improved a lot since last time.

You might want to put a bit more distance between the lens and the subject as this will allow the camera to focus perfectly .
Further closeup can be achieved when you crop it in the computer program :drinks

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks to all, for your advice, kindness, and generosity. I'll truly work on the quality of my Pict's. I've got an "Airplane Night" on for Wed. next. Unless I'm too sunburned from work. In teh Summer here, Rain=Modeling. I completed the yard-harvest tonight. Yippee!!

:pilot Thanks Sherm!
rained today! Airplanes, Airplanes, AIRPLANES!! YIPPEE!
Cut out some mere cockpit parts & test fitted;
Hair_boobs.jpg

OOPS! How'd she get in here!?!
In any case, Never mind the 1/700 P-8A Posidon. It's a MESS!
8_August_14_Crusader_III_1.JPG

Started work on the lower side of the Stabilators;
8_August_14_Crusader_III_2.JPG

Blacked out the inside of the Nose, and intake;
8_August_14_Crusader_III_3.JPG

Drilled for brass tube for the after strakes, in their retracted position;
8_August_14_Crusader_III_4.JPG

Ah!! rain!! Model time!! :yipee

I found it advantageous to drill the Vac Fuselage for brass tube, to locate the stabilators, and retractable ventral fins.
9_August_14_Crusader_III_1.JPG

9_August_14_Crusader_III_2.JPG

9_August_14_Crusader_III_3.JPG

These are posed in their retracted position, as the Super Crusader will be posed on the ground. I considered and "In Flight" display. The shelf space was the deciding factor.

Chuck used all kinds of materials, bringing his subjects to life. In that vein, I used some of Aztek airbrush tip needles for the .030 shafts inside the brass tube.
9_August_14_Crusader_III_4.JPG

I have an advantage Chuck never had!!
9_August_14_Crusader_III_5.JPG

Dave, Stuart, and Tim! :gogo Continuing work on the undersides of the stabilators.
Trial fit of fins & stabilatiors
9_August_14_Crusader_III_6.JPG

Still not quite square, but coming along.
9_August_14_Crusader_III_7.JPG

Better pictures, Tripods are Cool!!
9_August_14_Crusader_III_9.JPG

Ah, the Crusaders are already flying formation :snoopy :snoopy

With the ventral fins extended it looks very aggressive but I have to admit that with them retracted it looks somewhat clunky :woohoo:

Keep up the good work :good: Cheers, Christian B)

I know it! The Ship Fairly BEGS to be posed airborne. I cut out the gear bay doors today. There is a strong urg to just stick 'em on, and be closer to done. But it's me, and I usually do things the hard way.

I've been dinking with building the instrument panel. I'm using the old revell part, and using the CMK p/e parts. Main gear doors & wheels along the way.
26_August_14_Crusader_III_1.JPG

Still some work to do, but the basic fit is going to work out. :yipee
26_August_14_Crusader_III_2.JPG

More as rain squalls progress!!
26_August_14_Crusader_III_3.JPG

Wow, Early fall has been nuts here. I did do a bit o' medeling.
8_September_14_Crusader_III_1.JPG

Building gear doors, modifying the old Revell instrument panel to fit CMK's cockpit, Wheels. I think the bigger ones go on the Crusader III. Smaller wheels with brass bushings fit the ReHab F-8 better!
8_September_14_Crusader_III_2.JPG

Robin Olds, and his Buddies, look on with amusement!
8_September_14_Crusader_III_3.JPG

:pilot

Lookie at his cool, old, picture I found for the Cruasder III!!
http://www.texasarchive.org/library/index.php?title=F8U-3_Weapons_System

Back