• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Revell Vought F-8E Crusader ReHab

I was dinkin' around in my Decals spares, and found me a Tigerishka-lookin' Lady for the fin. Chuck's stuff had a whole bunch of letters & numbers from Detail & Scale, from WAY back. I'n using as many of those as I can.
F-8_Rehab_4_Apr_2014_1.JPG

The "114"'s are individual digits.
F-8_Rehab_4_Apr_2014_1~0.JPG

The 'Loomium leading edges came out pretty good!
F-8_Rehab_4_Apr_2014_2~0.JPG

The White letters were too stark, so I filled in, cropped, and used my Tamiya Clear Blue to shade 'em down, just a tad. Doing Decals is my Favorite!!
F-8_Rehab_9_Apr_2014_1.JPG

See!?!
F-8_Rehab_9_Apr_2014_2.JPG

Did some MORE Masking & sealing. Cockpit installed, canopy re-sanded, sealed with metallizer clear, waiting to paint back the black. :bang head Then! landing Gear & doors!! :yipee
F-8_Rehab_23_June_2014_2.JPG
:smack

At last! After this long time, I've got the ReHab F-8 back to the shape it was.................... :facepalm
3 months ago! It does have a rudimentary Cockpit now with lots of cool scopes, dials, throttle & HUD.
F-8_Rehab_24_June_2014_2.JPG

Col. Olds & Co. The Aviator is wearing a pair of Tiger Stripe camo pants.
Another View;
F-8_Rehab_24_June_2014_1.JPG

I learned a loy more about the Crusdaer, so, the Canopy lines are more accurate. The canopy itself is much cleaner & shinier. A bit o' Future took the haze right out of it.
This coat of Flat Black came out better as well.

In keeping with My Friend, Chuck's method of making what he used on a great many of his Models, I made the ReHab F-8's wheels, and nose strut & wheel out of spares. The mains are sanded & ground Academy P-51 wheels.
The nose gear is brass tube, and part of an F-86.
F-8_Rehab_20_July_2014_3.JPG

Made the main gear retraction struts out of styrene tube & metal rod.
F-8_Rehab_20_July_2014_2.JPG

I've rather got Dueling Crusaders going on here. :fencing :gogo

:facepalm It was Crusader Day yesterday!
trail fit of plastic blacksmith nose gear. Not quite what I'm looking for. What do you all think of the white "114"'s on the nose? I'm not sure about how much I like the placement, or the color. Hmmm.
F-8_Rehab_7_Aug_2014_1.JPG

F-8_Rehab_7_Aug_2014_2.JPG

No Minions on the E/Q Model last night. I did make up some swell rails for the AGM-47N Missiles!! More later!
F-8_Rehab_7_Aug_2014_3.JPG

I welcome your thoughts.

Fitted the launch rails for the Hughes ARM-47B's on the pylons............ :yipee
F-8_Rehab_8_Sept_2014_1.JPG

Made the whip antenna from invisilble thread, and black sharpie. Installed!
Baby steps! Need to be ready for the Oct 18 2014 Regional show. :frantic
F-8_Rehab_8_Sept_2014_3.JPG

All I had left to do, :frantic to be ready for the Region V Regional Show was finish the wheels, and put them on, and hang the missiles. Remember how clever I thought I was, when I drilled the hubs on the Mains, and installed bitty brass bushings, so they'd fit on my scratch-built axles? :bang head
I was working on the final wash and touch up, and lo! Perhaps I'm not so clever after all.
F-8_Rehab_13_Oct_2014_1.JPG

I'll be shopping for F-8 wheels and masks, in KC, istead of flying the ReHab F-8's first mission. :facepalm

The CMK Main wheels are nifty. I can't help thinking, Chuck would have made these, rather than buy them. Chuck probably wouldn't have split the Ertl Crusader wheels in the first place. :notworthy
F-8_Rehab_29_Nov_2014_1.JPG

I had to have something to do while the inti-collision beacon cures, and flat coat dries;
1/700 RAF Victor bomber. 3D printed! Very Nicely done!
F-8_Rehab_29_Nov_2014_2.JPG

Tornadoes and still dinkin' with the 1/700 P-8A Posidon
F-8_Rehab_29_Nov_2014_3.JPG

Lady Pirate Cap'n, in a Royal Navy coat.
F-8_Rehab_29_Nov_2014_4.JPG

Close! Very Close! Wheels done, and mounted. Weps mounted.
F-8_Rehab_30_Nov_2014_1.JPG

I need to do some touch up, and a tad more weathering. The VC-10 Jet detachment would have had a rough & tumble service life. Stdb view
F-8_Rehab_30_Nov_2014_2.JPG

Here's the "Business End"! :pilot
F-8_Rehab_30_Nov_2014_3.JPG

Port side view. It seem wierd, to see Her on Her gear. It's lain on a foam pad for so long.
F-8_Rehab_30_Nov_2014_4.JPG

I used as many of the original parts & weapons as I could find. I robbed my spares, Chuck's spares, carved, cast, and kit-bashed a bit, as I imagine Chuck Sterns might have done. I even used as many of his elderly decals as were serviceable. It pained me to have to BUY main wheels, but there ya go. I even reused the kit's old AIM-9 Sidewinders!
The paint scheme is all mine.
Is the ReHab F-8 a contest winner? Doubtful. Will it go to Model Shows? You bet your Sweet Bippy! Do I care if it wins awards? Hell no! An Omage' to my Friend. I thoroughly enjoyed this project! Had me some model/airbrush/decal fun!!!

I painted the nosegear strut with some silver, and called The ReHab done. It's going to "Hope it Don't Snow" in Rochester, or perhaps the Mad City Show, in WI, this year. "Resurrection" may be quite succinct, my friend, Duke! I DID have a fine time, with Chuck's old Crusader. Isn't that, by itself, the reason why we do all the stuff we do? :pilot

Back