• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Kayaba Katsuodori Ramjet Fighter

Thanks, Swordsman, Luiz and Mike!

@MP, that might be due to the quality of the paint or using unsuitable cleaner. I've never had trouble cleaning out Gunze red for example. But then I wouldn't use anything else. Gunze are the best IMHO. :D

M

Next after painting came post-shading: base color lightened with white and darkened with orange and brown.

Elevons and rudders were masked off and painted in a lighter shade of the base color.

Hinomarus were painted with Gunze H3 Red, using masks made from Tamiya tape.

To make the masks a hole was punched into a piece of tape using a hollow punch.

The punched out disc was not discarded but used as a guide by placing it on the model where the hinomaru would go and then positioning the mask around it.

A small section was cut off from the disc to make it easier to lift off once the mask is in place.

The numbers on the fins were airbrushed using leftovers from an earlier set of Miracle Masks.

The paint is Gunze Flat Black lightened with a little Tire Black to break the harshness of absolute black.

No decals were used at all for this build.

The nozzle was painted with Model Master metalizers.

More to come...

M

Thanks for the tips on painting the hinomarus. I have a project coming up where that will come in handy.

:popcorn

That one's finally done after some unexpected delays. The weathering of the a/c was kept to a minimum, an oil wash in the panel lines and some very light chipping on the leading edges. The trolley was given a little heavier treatment but only so much.

I Hope you like it!

Very well finished project (y) (y) (y) Only one question at this time .

What did it land on ? I see no evidence of skids at all :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks, Christian.

The answer to your question is anyone'g guess. Reinforced steel keel has been suggested...

M

This is the prototype as put on display for the high brass's benefit after its first successful series of powered test flights, duly repainted. B)

Thought you could trick me? :D

M

This is the prototype as put on display for the high brass's benefit after its first successful series of powered test flights, duly repainted. B)

M

Ahhh sorry, I thought I had read something about lightly weathered and possibly chipped . My mistake . Too many builds . :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

M

Ahhh sorry, I thought I had read something about lightly weathered and possibly chipped . My mistake . Too many builds . :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)
Damn painters! Always doing half a job... :frantic

M

Back