• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 warthog. FINISHED

Is this a disadvantage of the US rigid refueler probe v the RAF hose system ?

Anyway i have side tracked myself this week with paint exploits :) this is my basic coat of light ghost grey all over, most of the top will eventually be dark ghost grey so dont judge it at this stage.
Paint here is MIG AMMO Compass Ghost grey (light) Acrylic sprayed at 18psi from the bottle (not thinned)
Its a semi gloss finish that should take decals well without a pre gloss coat.

DSC_4572.JPG

DSC_4573.JPG

I wish i had more space then i might not have a ghost grey keyboard :)

I tried something different to mask the leading edges, rather than Blu tac i used some round styrene rod to give a less sharp edge but better than i woud have got with rolls of B-T

DSC_4574_01.JPG

Seemed to work quite well

DSC_4575_01.JPG

Light ghost is quite close to dark ghost :) i will have to use B-T for the fuselage as the lines will be curved

Last edited:
Nice job on the soft mask.

Wait, after all this talk about the dented nose you're going to leave it pristine? :lol:

Never dented plastic Bob... I will have to have a think about the best way to do it ?

Never dented plastic Bob... I will have to have a think about the best way to do it ?
You started painting Paddy so I guess leave it alone. I wouldn't want to see you hose up at this point.
but for denting I guess you could use a rototool to thin out the plastic for a smaller dent, heat for a bigger but like I said, I wouldn't do it at this point.

Not bothered about the paint Bob but how do i make round dents, i have some hollow punches which might work by hand, need to check if i have one small enough :)

Nice. The other alternative is to build a kc 135 stratotanker and do some air to air refueling!

Ordinance on jets is never my favorite part because everything has a couple of joints runni9ng the length of the piece and often the halves can be odd register. I always think the load out can make or break a build because if the weapons look real then thats half way to making the whole thing look real.
anyway you have a choice of over 40 weapons to hang on the pylons so a full load and some useful bits for the spares box. this is my choice

DSC_4582.JPG

24 iron bobs
2 sidewinders for defence
2 GBU bombs
2 AGM bombs
A Tank
and a ALQ jamming pod.

Look out Sadam :cool:
Probably not very realistic but even this doesnt fill all the pylons. My worry now is i need to gloss these to get the decals to sit well and my record for flat coating anything is abysmal.
One other point. I have decided to close up the gun bay for several reasons.
It allows me to hang a tank on the centre line
There is not really much to see in the gun bay as parts are black and its dark in there.
The doors hanging down will be a pain and WILL get knocked off especially as you have to turn the model upside down to see in.
It kind of spoils the lines having the doors open.

PS..dont clean your keyboard with isopropanol as it wipes all the letters off the keys...........and if you are anything like me , you might as well be blind now. :)

On the hard bombs it's always nice to include some suggestion of the arming wires.
I think that's a good load out, press on! :plane

Paddy it's basically a wire (lanyard) strung from the suspension lug to the fuse vane. When the bomb is released "armed" there is a salvo switch in the bomb rack that retains the lanyard and allows the fusing vane to spin free. They can release the bomb unarmed where the salvo releases the lanyard and the bomb is released "safe" like if they need to jettison the stores for whatever reason.

Here's a document that covers various fusing systems.

Here's a great video showing the load process.

At 1:18 you can see the lanyard pretty well.

The 600 gal external fuel tank has only been cleared for combat use since about 2013. Before then they were only used on ferry flights.

It adds about 45 minutes loiter time.

Cheers,
Rich

Back