• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 US Coast Guard Reliance class Cutter TLAR Models #723

Chris aren't there going to be some major problems with the mold in these areas? Seems like a fubar undercut problem to me.
View attachment 164825
Ah! My sharp-eyed friend Paul sees a possible dilemma, eh? Thank you!
Yessir, that would be indeed problematic if the flight deck was permanently attached. I left it attached with Tamiya tape to protect the hull details while I was building the mold framework on the bottom.

The flight deck is, in truth a separate part and will be finished and molded later on. See all the dots? Markings for unfinished helicopter tie-downs.

Better to ask a silly question than to suffer a terrible mistake. It looked and I kind of thought that was what you had in mind (the tape hinted) but best to ask and it not be needed.

20240111_163840.jpg
The game is afoot! De-mold the main hull happens 10 hours from now. Pressure is holding.
I mixed 482 grams of Moldmax 20, but the 467 gram mold box held all of it.
The math was correct.

20231209_145104.jpg
Remembering not to rush the chemicals!
20240112_105723.jpg
The Master sustained minor damage to her railings coming out of the thick, very stout, mold at 0516 today.
I could have done a better job blanking the openings in the after railing. Relieving the mold should address this concern.
As always, the first 56 ml. casting will tell the tale later on today.
Everything from here on out is easier and smaller!
Work was cancelled today in the wake of heap BIG Snow. Little do they what mischief lurks a mere 14 miles from my day job....................
MUHHU HAHAHA HA HA Hahahaha!
I always have work to do! I DO NOT have to put on pants to do it!!
Thanks for looking in, Bob!

Few members view my long-winded, serial/ship model posts. You always do, Bob. Greg usually does too. Paul keeps an eye on me as well.
20240112_203236.jpg

First casting of the 1/350 Reliance WMEC Hull. Only a couple teeny flaws on the exterior. This one sells! The bubbles on the bottom of the waterline hull make no difference, you have to cut off the mold frame and sand it flat anyway.
I could not be more pleased with how this huge (for me) mold cast!
Thanks again for looking in!

View attachment 161179
1/350 Life raft canisters came today from Model Monkey LLC in North Carolina.
He makes lots cool of high quality 3D printed parts for models ships of varying scales. These are suitable for US Navy Cruisers, Destroyers and (wait for it!) Coast Guard cutters!
I used the Model Monkeys for the carronaides my Constitution build. Fantastic prints, and only 4 days from order placed to my door! Those guys don't monkey around.

I used the Model Monkeys for the carronaides my Constitution build. Fantastic prints, and only 4 days from order placed to my door! Those guys don't monkey around.
Thanks Tim!
Model Monkey was a Shapeways seller before he got his own website. His ship parts are excellent, indeed!

Looks good. I can see this one without my optivisors lol :)
Funny, but true! Have no fear, as the 1/700 version of this cutter progresses, you might need your opti-visor again! :lol:
This is the coolest thing I ever made. Cooler than Ron's Bunnies by a hare.

Wow, that casting looks like it came out great Chris!
Thanks Warren! The process went as planned! OR! Every now and again, even a blind hog finds an acorn!
Given the volume of previous TLAR projects, I have trouble mixing enough resin to fill the mold. Another learning process to be sure!

I wonder how well it would work to get some 3D printing resin and then put a drop in each bubble and shine an Ultra Violet light on it to cure it. Then its just resin to sand off. Could also be used to "glue" parts on
James

Well done Chris! :notworthy
Thanks Buddy! I have 2 main and lower hulls and all the small parts cast so far.
I could almost start building to write instructions..............................
:smack:Naughty Rhino! Finish the molds first!

You guys remember "Gator"? He hasn't posted any builds of late, but he made the white flight deck markings for both scales of Reliance class WMEC's! I can't print white. He's a Doozie!

Thanks Buddy! I have 2 main and lower hulls and all the small parts cast so far.
I could almost start building to write instructions..............................
:smack:Naughty Rhino! Finish the molds first!

You guys remember "Gator"? He hasn't posted any builds of late, but he made the white flight deck markings for both scales of Reliance class WMEC's! I can't print white. He's a Doozie!
@Gator Of course we remember Kenny. :vgood:

20230701_084304.jpg20230701_084205.jpg
The 1/350 HH-65C Dolphin helicopter that I plan to include is a Trumpeter kit. The same Dolphin kit comes in the TLAR "Three Mile Limit" USCG Pursuit kit. The only thing fast enough to catch the 90-footer!
Chinese decal markings are included in the Trumpeter model.
This will not do.
20240115_033600 (2).jpg
Enter the TLAR Models 1/700-1/350 US Coast Guard Aircraft decal sheet.
Tail numbers for 2 1/700 HP6M-5WR Coastmaster jet seaplanes and 3 1/350 HH-65C egg-beaters!
Anyone with 1/350 Trumpeter Z-9C helicopters should be able to press them into search and rescue service without much fuss.
1-hh-65-dolphin.jpgHH-3F-inflight-St.-Pete.jpgHH-52A Seaguard 1.jpgHH-52A Seaguard 2.jpgHOS3-IG Dragonfly.jpgIMG_E3548.JPG
Or HC-130JWR Hercules, C-27J Spartans, HH-3F Pelican/Jolly Greens, or HOS-3's or HH-52A Seaguard, or..............
:capsmiley::choppa::salute:

Back