• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 US Coast Guard Reliance class Cutter TLAR Models #723

In my best Michael Caine voice.
Do you mean to tell me...that chopper is hollow?
Yesh Shir Michael, Yesh it is. (In my best Sean Connery voice)
And it's $9.00 from Shapeways. I does have those screwy 3D layers on it, but it will never see a contest table.
At that price point, I won't be molding/casting this Pelican model.
Now, the Pensacola USCG Pelican gives me ideas..................

20240205_204222.jpg
The Big Cutter's flight deck is ready for RTV Molding. The final mold.
In other US Coast Guard news:
20240205_200450.jpg
Tamiya flat white base coat on the 1/350 HH-3F Pelican. "Only God has saved more lives"
She will be the same one on display ay the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola FL.
This does not go with the Big Cutter kit. I am clearly just goofing off!

20240205_203513.jpg
A cup of Tamiya flat white goes a long way! 3 1/700 USCG C-27J Spartans got base-coated too!

Thanks again for looking in!

20240209_162746.jpg
This is an example of the decals Gator sent for the Big Cutter project. The flight deck markings are printed white on white backing paper. See how Kenny outlined each white decal in red? He also reduced these by 50% so I can include them in the 1/700 Reliance 210, known as the "Little Cutter". A interesting and clever guy!
20240208_211140.jpg
I lacked the ability to continue Life without one of these Coast Guard Aviation patches of my very own!

This what we have over here, i passed one down on the south coast yesterday

Displacement257 tonnes
Length42.80 m (140.4 ft)[1]
Beam7.11 m (23.3 ft)[1]
Draught2.52 m (8.3 ft)[1]
Installed power4,176 kW (5,600 hp)

HMRC_Valiant_BB.jpg

We only have 5 but then we are quite a small island ,about half the size of California in total :)

Well, you don't see that everyday, do you? At 42 meters, I wouldn't call HMC Valiant small. A swift and purposeful looking cutter!
Her Dutch-built lines put me in mind of our own Sentinel class 154' Fast Response Cutter, less the stern boat well for OTH boat launch and recovery.
Neet-O!
20240210_122044.jpg
One last RTV mold pour to make for the Big Cutter kit. Provided the good Lord's willin', the creek don't rise and the chemicals perform they way I expect they will, about 2000 hrs tomorrow, we'll find out!

20240212_054904.jpg
Here it is. Both halves of the final mold or the Big Cutter. It separated properly at 0500 CST today.
I am pleased to report the Master is undamaged.
Apprehension about making 2-part RTV molds has been banished.
It is an expensive mold at 303 grams of RTV. 1/3 of an entire 2-pound or 910 gram RTV mold rubber package.
Casting flight decks can begin tonight after my day job.
20240211_181547.jpg20240119_091034.jpg
Parts from the smaller molds are organized into marked packages to fill the checklist inside each Big Cutter kit box.
John's Big Cutter model kit has a few bonuses others don't include, because this whole affair was his suggestion.
"Anything else I can think up" is rather self-explanatory, don't you agree?
The "big sigh of relief" and "grin of success" should follow casting of the flight deck mold.
Thanks again for following along!

20240212_210727.jpg20240212_210732.jpg
Initial casting proves the mold. Enlarging/relieving the mold pour openings is needed to allow all the bubbles to escape more readily.
My battery powered mixer for the resin could use 1 dead battery. It's enthusiastically whipping the LPP into a froth. Air bubbles are quality's enemy! Different piece of equipment perhaps? Cordless drill on lower speed? Hey! there's and idea.
20240212_223422.jpg

See pictured here, all the finished molds required to make resin parts for the Big Cutter project. After just 7 months with a few "side trips" the fun of building my very own 1/350 USCG 210 is about to begin!
Thanks you Men, for following along. I cain't say how much your encouragement and support has meant.
I am humbled by your appreciation.

Interesting at very least, I should think!
That's 2 pounds of Moldmax 20. A much less flexible RTV and almost 4 pounds of Moldmax 10. The 2-part molds use Thi-Vex to impart more rigidity to Moldmax 10 with out using a second batch of 20. Freight from Reynold's Materials in Chicago increased from $20.00 to $30.00 during this project. It will take quite few sales to recoup just the material costs. 4 kits are spoken for so far.

How about one of those low speed electric screwdrivers? I found one, with charger, in our stuff and charged it up, still works. It's got a really low rpm but pretty good torque.

THE BUILD:
First, Let talk about flaws. A project of this size and complexity must have a few flaws, and my kit is no exception. Not many of you are customers of mine so far, so this may seem odd to you. I prefer to document short-comings of the model, so if any of these flaws are a deal-breaker, my customers will know before they purchase.
Main Hull:

20240216_080351.jpg20240216_090710.jpg
You can see the small flaws along the bow where my filling and sanding of the Master was not quite perfect.
Starboard bow:
See the top of the scupper, the little divot in the point of the bow and along the hull as she runs aft? what you see here is the repaired flaws.
Port bow:
Again, the filled and sanded imperfections.
Superstructure:
20240216_091237.jpg
I intentionally put the mold seam in a place where it would be easier to manicure. Small amounts of c/a glue dabbed in the seam, and wet-sand until smooth and nice! For this job I cut a Flex-i-File strip in half to fit in between the bridge rail and antenna mounts.
Lower hull:
I don't do bottoms. Some ship modelers like a bottom. I prefer waterline models on a base.
20240216_112446.jpg20240216_112523.jpg
A few tiny flaws in the underside, and the skeg (the big structural part between the shafts, struts and screws) could use a little sanding and smoothing. See the void in the top of the stern? To write the instructions, I use the kit parts that I won't sell to you.
.032 copper rod makes up the prop shafts. 3D printed propellers (screws/wheels) are drilled to fit the shafts. They are HARD. Drill with diligence! The screws are handed and in their proper propeller propulsion positions! Rudders go in the obvious rudder holes, see?!
Even though the lower hull won't be included in this build, it is easy to see how these few parts come together.

Flightdeck:
20240216_114723.jpg20240216_120202.jpg
The portside flight deck joints fit very nicely, indeed! As you can see, the starboard side flight deck joints could have benefitted from more "fitting" before it went to mold. I'll confess to getting really excited about making the final mold for this model kit.
"Chris, this main hull is white rather than you're usual gray. Is that a flaw too?"

No, my friend, when mixing the necessary larger quantity of LPP, I missed the pigment step on a few items. This hull assembly was one of them.
I might have made set of rare, albino Cap-Holder-O-Matic too. Very valuable indeed!

"Could protrusions in the mold be removed to get rid of the flaws?"
Maybe. Imprecise removal of the little sliver of RTV that produces the crack/flaw could result in the creation of a bulge. Sanding off a big, ugly bulge seems less attractive to me than filling a few dinky indentations.

20240216_095654.jpg
Marking between the pour stubs with black Sharpie and gently wet-sanding the bottom of the main hull on 240 wet or dry sandpaper sheet on a flat surface yields a nice flat waterline underside. When the Sharpie goes mostly away, stop sanding.
What you can't see is that all the mooring bitts have been installed.

This model will be WMEC-618, USCGC Active. The "Little Tough Guy".
1708118415421.png

This 2023 fit. OTH boats, 25mm gun and round platform, original bridge with smokestack upgrade.

I am usually the last guy to post a non-model related subject on our site, but this is important to our family.

Sent to Ensign Jeffery Meyers, USCG. Webmaster, USCGC Active. Port Angeles, Washington, USA

"Ensign Meyer, Sir,
I am no one of note. I am a Grampa and I make model kits of US Coast Guard boats and cutters for sale on my website. My most recent project is USCGC Active in 1/350 scale. I chose your ship out of a class of 16 possible, storied cutters, because of her mantra. "Little Tough Guy."
image000000(25).jpg
Meet our "Little Tough Guy". Tatum Michael Woods. Our grandson.
Since his birth, he has been afflicted with Kabuki Syndrome. A rare genetic disorder that affects motor control and speech. That being said, He is as Active a 10-year old as you will ever meet. He's lovely and sweet. When you look in his eyes, you can see he's "in there." He just lacks the ability to express himself with words in a way most folk can understand. He plays and watches movies, his favorite is Moana, in his playpen in his home in Vinton, Iowa.

Tatum has had 20-some major surgeries in his short life. He seems to accept each one with courage and takes them in stride, so much as he is able.

As of 2201 yesterday our "Little Tough Guy" was admitted, again, to the University of Iowa hospitals. His white blood cell count is 24,000.
I am no Doc, but this seems dire to me. No diagnosis as of yet, but the prognosis seems grim indeed. Tatum has already handily out-lived his doctor's estimate of just 5 years of age. It is because he so loved by our People.

Now, I'll get to the favor I ask of the Officers and Crew of USCGC Active.
First, We ask for prayers for Tatum's recovery. Hey, God is great and he's great all the time. Anything is possible.

Second, If the brave crew of WMEC-618 got together for a picture in front of your "Little Tough Guy" placard, and sent it, "From our Little Tough Guy to yours" it would mean the world to our family. Tatum might not fully understand, but the spirits of his beleaguered parents and family could be boosted by such an act of kindness and generosity in a way you might not comprehend.

Finally, we appreciate the sacrifices the men and women of the always ready US Coast Guard make to rescue the unfortunate, arrest law breakers and keep our great nation safe. Keep up the good work. You're doing a fine job!

Your thoughts, Ensign Meyer, Sir?"

I know we don't do religion or politics here. I am only asking for Men of Faith to lift little Tatum up in prayer.
I never did wish any offense to anyone that is not a Man of Faith.
Something had to be done.
:salute:
:oldguy:

20240217_110537.jpg20240217_110622.jpg20240217_112639.jpg
Work on the mast begins. Resin and metal rod parts are included in the kit. Upper platforms are made for small bits of leftover material.
Never mind the black Sharpie. I fix flawed kit parts to write instructions and build my model. Your mast will not need repair/patching.
The temptation to put these pictures in the instructions and say "It looks like this. Ready? GO!" is being considered. :stinker:

Early Reliance class WMEC's only mounted one driven Nav/search radar pedestal in the middle of the mast platform.

Dry fit on the superstructure shows the mast too far aft of the bridge. Access to the mast ladder is from the top of the pilothouse. They need to be fitted closer together.
20240217_113613.jpg
Trimming the upper mast for proper height, installing SATCOM domes and one more upper platform happens next.
:Drinks:

Back