• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 US Coast Guard Reliance class Cutter TLAR Models #723

I think I know what went awry. I queried the Tech Guys at Reynold's Materials to see what their opinion is. I might have gone a little overboard on the mold release.
20231205_161919.jpg
The Do Over molds lends itself to a smarter arrangement of parts. Picking every tiny morsel of gooey RTV out of all the details was time consuming, but worth it!
The 1/350 UTB mold poofed too, but I didn't cut it.
Who wants to see what those mutated castings look like, just for grins?
Thanks Men for you patience and your kind attention!

20231206_113429.jpg20231206_073023.jpg20231206_093407.jpg

Big bridge fixed. Bigger winders and deleted the overhead hatch and handrail.
The mold box for the smokestack and modern cranes is complete and loaded.
3" .50 cannon and Mk.38 25mm guns modified to take my favored brass gun barrels. The .50 caliber Masters are from the 1/350 Point class WPB kit.

AND!!

The last plastic pieces are installed on the main hull. Just a few more metal parts to add and the Big Cutter's main hull Master can go to mold.
:yipee::yipee::yipee:
Thanks again for looking in!
USCG Logo 1.jpg

Just for Grins.................
20231209_145104.jpg20231209_145115.jpg20231209_145359.jpg
See how 60 psi blew out the bubbles on the outside of the Junk mold? :lol:
This mold will not be cast again. It might make a dandy projectile for grandkids or a therapeutic hand squeezer.
A testament to "I don't know every-f-ing-thing". Keeps a Guy humble. :smack:
Thanks for laughing along!

Oh, I hope not!
If you fit the hood and it hits the front fender when you open it, you'll know. :Drinks: :lol:

20231210_113005.jpg
This looks like wreckage, but it is not. It's the catch-all for the intricate parts Masters removed from a successful mold. It seems "Waste not, want not" can be a detriment in the resin ship model business.
A couple of the twin canister racks pulled little hunks of RTV out of the mold, but they are in a spot that can be trimmed and sanded easily by the modeler. Absolutely forgivable.
5 hours to go until the first casting. I know it seems a small affair, (?!?) but I get really excited about the first castings of a new mold!
20231210_030300.jpg
Final 1/350 parts mold. Main Hull guns, drums and porta-potties with the revised Big Bridge.
Carl was right. I just couldn't leave the handrail flaw and the winders wuz tew liddle.
20231210_124604.jpg
This 1/2 inch USCG crest will come with every kit. I a vendor in Michigan makes these. A little added interest for your Cutter's base.
The other bonus bit remains a closely guarded secret. Customers will find out when their very own Big Cutter kit arrives!
20231209_232809.jpg
Mr. Frog is back. Flooded down, prowling shallow water for prey. Frogzilla? Seinaru Tawagoto!
I carved and sanded around his eyes to make him more frog-like. As if it mattered for such a silly, bonus piece!
"Rhino, what TLAR kit does the sneaky frog or waterline gator come in?"
Ha! I cain't tell you! Patience is a virtue.
Stay tuned, as this enthralling, long-winded story unfolds!

20231210_213437.jpg
First casting of fresh main hull parts mold. I couldn't be more pleased. A very busy (lots of small parts) mold that tools and casts very nicely.
20231210_213044.jpg20231210_213104.jpg
It made sense to mold the smoke stack with the modern boat cranes in a tall, rectangular box. I'm pleased with these. Very pleased!
That's all for this evening.
Thanks for all your encouragement! It means more to me than I can say.

20240105_181955.jpg20240105_191638.jpg
The last 4 parts went on the Big Cutter's main hull last night. Blanking the stern side rail openings with thin plastic card will see the main hull to the mold box.
Yes, The center of the stern gratings line up with the vertical stanchion inside the stern rail.
20240106_073544.jpg
Mold Day went well! This smaller mold is the last parts mold to pour for the 1/350 WMEC kit. Mk.38 25mm & 3" guns, sans barrels, 2 fiberglass shithouses, the revised modern pilothouse, early and modern gun platforms and 55 gallon drums. Turned brass gun barrels will be included in the kit.
All y'all will discover what the bigger mold produces in good time. 7 hours from first casting of fresh molds. NO rushing the chemicals!
Thanks again for looking in!
:capsmiley:
:salute:
USCG stripe (2).jpg

20240106_223504.jpg20240106_223612.jpg
I'm a happy guy when it works the way I hoped it would! Both early and modern gun platforms retained their grating texture. The 3'.50 caliber cannon and Mk.38 25mm chain guns are just what I hoped for The Browning .50 cals and pedestals are nice too!
My Guns mold yielded fine castings, but these are the stand-outs.

Thanks again for looking in again and again and again!
20230821_172445.jpg
:capsmiley:
:salute:

Jiminy Christmas, you aren't finished with this yet?!!

All kidding aside, I am excited about this dang boat. It is looking great, and I am glad your cast worked the way it should :)

Jiminy Christmas, you aren't finished with this yet?!!

All kidding aside, I am excited about this dang boat. It is looking great, and I am glad your cast worked the way it should :)
Generally speaking, vessels over 100 feet in LOA (Length Over All) are considered "Ships" Under 100 feet are considered "Boats".
In the case of submarines, they are all "Boats", hearkening back to the earlier days of being called "submersible boats". The German "Untersee Boot" is the same difference.
I sent a proof of the flight deck markings to Gator Loup, way down Loozianna way. He says he make the white decals I want. More US-made products to include in my biggest model kit ever!!

"Don't rush me, sonny......." HA!!

Generally speaking, vessels over 100 feet in LOA (Length Over All) are considered "Ships" Under 100 feet are considered "Boats".
In the case of submarines, they are all "Boats", hearkening back to the earlier days of being called "submersible boats". The German "Untersee Boot" is the same difference.
I sent a proof of the flight deck markings to Gator Loup, way down Loozianna way. He says he make the white decals I want. More US-made products to include in my biggest model kit ever!!

"Don't rush me, sonny......." HA!!

20240109_141408.jpg
It started here, last July. A request and an idea.
20240109_154047.jpg20240109_154106.jpg
I had a Snow Day today. I figure I should work one job or the other. Mold framework and blanked stern, ready for RTV.
Blizzard chores are done. Our hungry snowblower was well fed, refueled and put to bed. Vehicles are both "up" for tomorrow's work day.
20240109_154037.jpg20240109_154146.jpg

The mold box is 31.875 cubic inches by volume or 523 milliliters. The main hull assembly displaces 56 ml of volume. I mark the mold boxes, even if I don't expect them to survive. This one is a plastic base and thick paper walls. It isn't pretty but it won't leak.

20240109_192357.jpg
Fitting inside the pressure pot is kind of a big deal. This box just barely makes it. This, Gentlemen, is the upper limit of TLAR Models mold production capability. This is also the largest part of this kit. My Moldmax 20 RTV tips the scales at 688 grams. Tare weight is 165.
523 Grams total useable material. This mold will need 423 grams of RTV and 44 grams of catalyst. If my math is correct, this should be a little more than enough to do this job! Pshwoo!
Mold pouring is tomorrow after work.

Stay tuned for more exciting Big Cutter developments!!

Chris aren't there going to be some major problems with the mold in these areas? Seems like a fubar undercut problem to me.
Undercuts.jpg

Back