• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 P-38M "M" for madness

Harv I surely would not go totally black. Various shades of grey should do it I think, Notice the fading around frame and skin on the nose. Surely that shadow of the frame would be darker than the area between the frames.

It's gonna be a cool bird Harv :popcorn

Hi Harv . The cannons look menacing !

Not sure about the color of the airframe . I have been led to believe they were painted black but looking at that picture does not convince me that it was .

You might do good to compare it to some P-61B pictures . Also I note that it looks very different than the propeller blades which should have been a flat black from the factory . :hmmm

Lots of room for consideration . Wonder if it could be that blue haze color the F-5E 's received ? They looked dark when the paint was fairly fresh .

Cheers, Christian B)

This site says "Dead Black"
http://www.airvectors.net/avp38_2.html

This one says gloss black so the stars would reflect making it look like nothing, while flat black would show up too much.

http://www.groupsrv.com/hobby/about400665.html
http://www.groupsrv.com/hobby/about400684.html

Dont know if that helps you or not.
James

Thanks for the links, James. Much appreciated. I have seen several other pics on the net, that look totally GLOSS black. If I can find them, I'll post them.And Bob , Christian, thanks for the help......Harv

Another for comparison.........Harv

p38-5.jpg

( used under fair use)

Looks pretty glossy, and fresh. Wonder if that's not at the factory somewhere. Those mountains in the back ground do not look like South Pacific to me. Could be wrong....

This is how I took care of the canon mount. Just a piece of card cut to fit. Hole was drilled for rear of barrel to fit. The rest fit well enough that nothing was needed. Note more weight in nose.

100_4247.jpg

This after the nose was glued on, and cleaned up a bit

100_4249.jpg

100_4248.jpg

And to help motivate myself, here is where I am............Harv

100_4272.jpg

100_4273.jpg

The Magnificence Meter id starting to shake uncontrollably! If that's not SoCal in that besutiful photo I'll eat my EtchMate.

Small update Only one pic, my camera battery is dead and waiting on a USB cord to charge it. Right outer wing. Bit of a small gap. Its already fixed with some evergreen strip. Also the chin faring for radar pod, I didn't like it. The more I looked , the more crooked it looked. Ripped it off and re attached, looks better. Also almost ruined the the right outer aileron, Dam Trump hinges and pins !!! Ripped it all apart and removed them. Will simply glue aileron to the wing. More pics when camera is charged !............Harv

100_4279.jpg

OK, managed to squeeze a couple of pics out of my camera. The first is just an overall shot. I actually have gotten a bunch of things done, although it may not look like it. The outer wings are on and so are the flaps, still need to add ailerons and they will be tweaked a small amount for a left bank. The gap you see on the gun door is a bit of a mirage , it is filled and sanded. Used some CA for filler. Wheels are not glued on. I hope to tackle the hubs later today with color (magnesium).

100_4280.jpg

The next pic is very important for anyone building the "M". Since it has the nose radar, the nose antenna had to be moved. It is located just behind left main wheel well. I only discovered this a week ago. Most pics of the "M", it is very hard to see, but if you look close you will find it.

100_4281.jpg

I hope all had a good holiday ! I did. Any questions, critiques, or comments are always welcome !..............Harv

(y)

Sorry I missed your last update Harv, things get busy ya know.

Gaps, I don't see no stinkin' gaps. Looking good :popcorn

Bob and James, thank you both very much. I'm grateful that builders , like yourselves, enjoy this "trip". Thanks for the ongoing support, my friends......Harv

Builders he called us...:rotf Harv if I had your perseverance I would have finished that Wildcat years ago. Rock on my knuckle draggin' Bro (Harv and I were bomb loaders on B52s, although vastly different eras) :ro:

Back