• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Workshop/Marquee Finished. Updated Dec. 19th, 2017

A Dual Project Updated November 26th, 2016

Here is a short update. I am working out the color scheme for the marquee. I have one of the panel frames near to being finished. Here are two photos so you can get an idea of the color scheme. Remember, it isn’t finished! This is how I work, I tinker with one piece until I have it just right, then I copy the effect to the rest of the project. I am going for a really old, antiqued marquee appearance. I will add chipping that will make it look like it is made of metal and some additional weathering to the finish. There will also be some bronze/gold color added. I have painted it on the bottom of the frame only. You can see it in the first photo at the very bottom of the frame. It is very subtle and you have to look hard. It is more obvious in person than in the photo. Also, I have used the flat black paint on the bottom of the frame only. (It outlines all the squares). It will all be done like that! I have never done anything like this so I am playing it by ear and will no doubt modify it as I go along until I get the precise look I am searching for!

00_zpstqb0bm2p.jpg

Here it is compared with the opposite side with only a base coat. All those lights will go in the drilled holes.

000_zpsexd3jsv3.jpg

As soon as i get it fine tuned, I'll go ahead and do the entire marquee with the same process. Once it is all painted and processed, it will be ready to hang on the wall!

Bob

A Dual Project Updated December 14th, 2016

You wouldn't be wrong if you called this a different kind of a diorama, would you ? :D

Laurence

You wouldn't be wrong if you called this a different kind of a diorama, would you ? :D

Laurence

Not sure I could call it a diorama, different or not. I could call it a model as it is a miniature movie marquee in a maybe 1/12th scale.

:rotf :rotf :rotf

Bob

Got some more done! I'd like to finish this before Christmas, but not sure at this point! Some of the parts I have given one process and another 6 processes. I start with the flat black. Then I give it a dry brush coat of a green/white mixture to get that patina effect. Then I paint in the maroon, after drying, give it an overall wash of Raw umber and Artist's rectified turpentine. Then I paint in the Bronze color, then the flat black to outline the various designs.

To begin, here's a photo of the entire marquee, some with only the patina and some parts that I have added the dark red and the black only.

0_zps48p0yh7j.jpg

This is the front of the marquee. It has only had the patina and the dark red applied so far.

00_zpsouiiyqoq.jpg

This is one of the side panels. It has had the patina, the dark red, the wash, the bronze trim and the black outline.

000_zpsjhgv4tar.jpg

These art deco plastic letters will be mounted on the scrollwork directly below the front panel. They spell out cinema. I have the first coat of the dark red. They will require a second coat.

0000_zpsipsyg6ng.jpg

This is the front bottom scrollwork. It has only received the patina process.

g_zpsanas22lj.jpg

This is a shot of the left panel and the front. Both have the patina and the dark red paint applied only.

gg_zpstxaadvsq.jpg

This is the right panel that has all the processes applied so far. I may add a couple more depending on how the entire thing looks when set in place.

ggg_zpsq7uik70n.jpg

That's it for today!

Bob

Got some more done! I'd like to finish this before Christmas, but not sure at this point! Some of the parts I have given one process and another 6 processes. I start with the flat black. Then I give it a dry brush coat of a green/white mixture to get that patina effect. Then I paint in the maroon, after drying, give it an overall wash of Raw umber and Artist's rectified turpentine. Then I paint in the Bronze color, then the flat black to outline the various designs.

To begin, here's a photo of the entire marquee, some with only the patina and some parts that I have added the dark red and the black only.

0_zps48p0yh7j.jpg

This is the front of the marquee. It has only had the patina and the dark red applied so far.

00_zpsouiiyqoq.jpg

This is one of the side panels. It has had the patina, the dark red, the wash, the bronze trim and the black outline.

000_zpsjhgv4tar.jpg

These art deco plastic letters will be mounted on the scrollwork directly below the front panel. They spell out cinema. I have the first coat of the dark red. They will require a second coat.

0000_zpsipsyg6ng.jpg

This is the front bottom scrollwork. It has only received the patina process.

g_zpsanas22lj.jpg

This is a shot of the left panel and the front. Both have the patina and the dark red paint applied only.

gg_zpstxaadvsq.jpg

This is the right panel that has all the processes applied so far. I may add a couple more depending on how the entire thing looks when set in place.

ggg_zpsq7uik70n.jpg

That's it for today!

Bob

:ro: :ro: :dude

A Dual Project Updated December 18th, 2016

Susan found these on the Internet. Apparently there is a model, (Non-Military), museum in Colorado Springs, Co. I love this idea. I am posting it as it kinda goes with this project. Looks to me to be about 1/15th to 1/12th scale.

Bob

A Dual Project Updated December 27th, 2016

That is awesome! Too bad I didn't know about this when I was in Colorado for the 2013 Nationals. Beautiful!

Back