• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Westland Whirlwind

excellent build!

I have the 1/48 trump kit in the stash (won it at an IPMS meeting). I may just have to look at it.

I got a wee bit 'lost' a couple of pages back... OK I've caught-up now and have to say that those cannons look superb, looking forward to the next instalment, Christian, shaping-up to be another impressive project.

Ian.[
/b]

I got a wee bit 'lost' a couple of pages back... OK I've caught-up now and have to say that those cannons look superb, looking forward to the next instalment, Christian, shaping-up to be another impressive project.

Ian.[
/b]

Sorry for the confusion Ian . I'm starting to feel like my days are becoming similar to what dyslectic people must experience.

Anyhow, plodding on as I can . :soldier

Cheers,

Thanks for following along guys . I appreciate all comments.

Not too much to report today . The wings have been assembled

I installed the four exhaust tubing . It is not as good as I wished but I'm afraid it's not going to improve.
Sort of difficult to superglue hollow resin pieces to a very slick rounded cowling :frantic

engine___wings_001a.jpg

I also managed to glue the wings on last night and that is not much more than butt joints, so it left a lot to the imagination .

Turns out my imagination was not good enough last night, so I removed them and reattached them this afternoon . Hoping for a better result, but it's going to take a while for those joints to be solid :bang head

engine___wings_002a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Beat it to fit and paint it to match. Don't give up. Gary :good:

Not intent on giving up Gary . You can really get a square peg into a roud hole . You only need a hammer the right size.

Just have a lot of things going on here that interfere with model building :fencing I'll get there.

Cheers, Christian B)

:soldier :soldier :soldier Keep it going Christian! (y)

Its not gonna stop Dave . Just need to let those glue joints harden up before I try to clean them up .

The air Force took our big hammers and screw drivers away when we transitioned from the F-4's to the F-16's but I know exactly where they went :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Bob and Luiz for passing through :)

A couple of positive things happened today.

Early in the build, a propeller spinner came up missing :S

After a couple hours of searching and trying to replicate the missing piece from an Airfix spinner , I decided to attempt contacting Special Hobby .

This is the result.

Special_hobby_001a.jpg

Special_hobby_004a.jpg

Really good to know they have my back . (y)

The second , was the arrival of this tool.

Gunze_cap_tool_002a.jpg

Made by the folks that make the Gunze paints ...Around $ 6:00
Gunze paints have always been very difficult to open but the Tamiya bottles can also be very suborn.

Gunze_cap_tool_003a.jpg

I can only wonder why it took me this long to give them my money . No more pliers, hot water or jar openers necessary :woohoo:

Cheers, Christian B)

Nice tool. Another tip on Tamiya paint if the lid is "glued" in place. Turn the bottle upside down and take some 409 and squirt it into the underside of the lid and threads.

Had a Transparent Blue bottle of Tamiya and it WOULD NOT OPEN. Turned it upside down, squirted some 409 under the lid and into the threads and let it sit to the next day. Grabbed a paper towel wrapped it around it and let the blue goo run out from under the lid. Then guess what, it just turned off nice and easy.

Nice tool. Another tip on Tamiya paint if the lid is "glued" in place. Turn the bottle upside down and take some 409 and squirt it into the underside of the lid and threads.

Had a Transparent Blue bottle of Tamiya and it WOULD NOT OPEN. Turned it upside down, squirted some 409 under the lid and into the threads and let it sit to the next day. Grabbed a paper towel wrapped it around it and let the blue goo run out from under the lid. Then guess what, it just turned off nice and easy.

Great tip!! Gary s.

Glad you found the spinner and got the parts! The cap snaffler is cool too, where are you gonna keep it so it's handy when you need it? :D

I'm probably fanatical about it but any time I open a paint bottle the first thing I do is clean the top of the jar and the inside of the lid. I know it's temping to paint out of the lid then just put it back on but that almost guarantees it is going to get stuck and over time the paint build up in the lid will keep it from sealing properly. At around $3 a bottle these days for 1/2 oz (that's $768 a gallon) I feel it's worth the trouble.

But I agree, that is a cool tool and you can never have too many tools :drinks

I agree with the cleaning being helpful . I have tried that . As a matter of fact I don't shake the bottles and I don't flip the lids upside down when removed , so they will stay clean .

All told, the Gunze paints are the main offenders . I believe it has to do with the fact that they are somewhat glossy verses the Tamiya flats.

That still does not fully explain why they still get stuck but using this tool is still easier and faster than all the other solutions.

Cheers, Christian B)

Still coming along nicely Christian!'

That is a very cool tool, might have to invest in one of those myself!

I just put in a request to Special Hobby myself for some replacement parts. Nice to hear they are taking care of their customers!!

:popcorn

Back