• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Westland Whirlwind

phantom II

Master at Arms
After two weeks of this respiratory crud :facepalm and a week of no desk top... :soldier ...I am back :salute

A big wind just landed a project on my desk .

NOT THIS ONE !

phoca_thumb_l_img_1005.jpg

but this one...

Whirlwind_002a.jpg

Sort of a long hopped for . Need to replace an old Airfix version.

Whirlwind_003a.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-gwYZSqvSI

Hope you find an interest in it . Cheers, Christian B)

Much relieved that it wasn't that whirly bird contraption, one of my faves, this should be good !

Might have to add that to the wish list. :popcorn

Looks quite good for a low production kit Dave :coolio Light years removed from Airfix and even appears to be nicer than the Pavla rendition , even though that one had a resin cockpit . Guess we'll see.

Cheers

Much relieved that it wasn't that whirly bird contraption, one of my faves, this should be good !

Happy I'm not the only one attracted to this bird . It's a very old favorite of mine :)

I have always been curious as to why this airplane was not developed any further .

Cheers,

I have not got far yet but I'm working it :soldier

So far this is the most obnoxious find .

whirly_rudder_001a.jpg

Past that small problem, the most obvious shortfall is the flight control surfaces . The short run kits never seem to have enough relief in the molds.

whirly_rudder_002a.jpg

The panel lines are nice but very shallow . Two passes with fine sand paper on a nub pretty much made one disappear.

:soldier On to some scribbing .

Cheers, Christian B)

Scribing makes a world difference. Those casting nubs seem to be the way of things now, but they come off pretty easily. :pilot

Happy I'm not the only one attracted to this bird . It's a very old favorite of mine :)

I have always been curious as to why this airplane was not developed any further .

Cheers,

The main reason was Rolls-Royce's need to focus on Merlin production and development that lead to the dropping of the Peregrine engine. The Whirlwind would have required significant redesign to accept the bigger Merlin. The arrival of the Beaufighter whose performance equaled or exceeded the Whirlwind's sealed its fate.

Cheers,
Rich

Cheers,

The main reason was Rolls-Royce's need to focus on Merlin production and development that lead to the dropping of the Peregrine engine. The Whirlwind would have required significant redesign to accept the bigger Merlin. The arrival of the Beaufighter whose performance equaled or exceeded the Whirlwind's sealed its fate.

I somewhat understand that but everyone else's fighter engine was up rated during the war without size change . Seem as they could have done something to improve them :idonno Oh well.

Cheers, Christian

Cheers,
Rich

Back