• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Westland Whirlwind

Finally the end of an uneasy relationship . Not even going to mount the bombs or the racks . Too much hastle and possibilities for other mayhem :blush:

This a beastly looking bird to be sure .

The markings are not historically correct :idonno I added the roundels to the prop spinners to add a little interest to those otherwise bulbous parts.

Whirly_the_end_002a.jpg

They actually were found on another bird .

Whirly_the_end_003a.jpg

One more complaint , which I did not notice untill too late :sick: All the major components fit together so well, I never questioned it till it was assembled .

The tail flah are also incorrect ( my fault ) Did not catch it till latter th :smack those belong to the brown and green paint jobs before they repainted these birds .

The oil cooler gills had to be shimmed to stay in that position .
The landing gear indicators , gunsight andantenna mast were all home made add ons ons , The gun barrels are brass aftermarket.
The pointy tracks aft of the flaps were carved from plastic as I did not trust the resin pieces .

Whirly_the_end_004a.jpg

The pitot on top of the tail is made from four assorted pieces of Albyon tubind . Again replacing resin.
I also added a suggestion of a light assembly on top of the canopy . Could not find a good picture to go by.

Whirly_the_end_006a.jpg

Whirly_the_end_007a.jpg

The antena wire is 0.7 mm suture fastened to the mast with very thin copper wire . Hope they corrode soon.
The suture is harder to work with but I think I still like it best. (y)

Whirly_the_end_008a.jpg

The landing gear is preety much junk . Given the patience and the desire , one could make the components from albyon tubing but I was not in the mood to try. :sick:
The gear doors are a sad excuse for kit parts. They look nice enough but were dreadful to attach.

One more complaint , which I did not notice untill too late :sick: All the major components fit together so well, I never questioned it till it was assembled .

the fuselage to the tail has a very light twist going back , resuting in the tail leaning slightly to the left :coolio Too late now

All in all , this kit is a worthy replacement for the old airfix kit but plan to work toget it there.
THe cockpit was very nice. I only added belts a battery and a few decals to make it look respectable.

Well , maybe now I can paint that KI-51 . I only need to remove this squirrel from the road .

Squirrel_posing~0.jpg

Oh look , there's this book I want to read :soldier

ME_262B_003a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Finally the end of an uneasy relationship . Not even going to mount the bombs or the racks . Too much hastle and possibilities for other mayhem :blush:

The markings are not historically correct :idonno I added the roundels to the prop spinners to add a little interest to those otherwise bulbous parts.

Whirly_the_end_002a.jpg

Whirly_the_end_003a.jpg

The tail flah are also incorrect ( my fault ) Did not catch it till latter th :smack those belong to the brown and green paint jobs before they repainted these birds .

The landing gear indicators , gunsight andantenna mast were all home made add ons ons , The gun barrels are brass aftermarket.
The pointy tracks aft of the flaps were carved from plastic as I did not trust the resin pieces .

Whirly_the_end_004a.jpg

The pitot on top of the tail is made from four assorted pieces of Albyon tubind . Again replacing resin.
I also added a suggestion of a light assembly on top of the canopy . Could not find a good picture to go by.

Whirly_the_end_006a.jpg

Whirly_the_end_007a.jpg

The antena wire is 0.7 mm suture fastened to the mast with very thin copper wire . Hope they corrode soon.

Whirly_the_end_008a.jpg

The landing gear is preety much junk . Given the patience and the desire , one could make the components from albyon tubing but I was not in the mood to try. :sick:
The gear doors are a sad excuse for kit parts. They look nice enough but were dreadful to attach.

the fuselage to the tail has a very light twist going back , resuting in the tail leaning slightly to the left :coolio Too late now

All in all , this kit is a worthy replacement for the old airfix kit but plan to work toget it there.
THe cockpit was very nice. I only added belts a battery and a few decals to make it look respectable.

Well , maybe now I can paint that KI-51 . I only need to remove this squirrel from the road .

Squirrel_posing~0.jpg

ME_262B_003a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

WOW! A whirlwind with pasties!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :rotf

A right smart looking bird, Chris

Whirly_the_end_002a.jpg

Whirly_the_end_003a.jpg

Whirly_the_end_004a.jpg

Whirly_the_end_006a.jpg

Whirly_the_end_007a.jpg

Whirly_the_end_008a.jpg

Squirrel_posing~0.jpg

ME_262B_003a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

WOW! A whirlwind with pasties!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :rotf

A right smart looking bird, Chris

Thanks Paul :good:

Maybe Airfix will give us a new mold one of these days

Their kits have so improved over the last few years, that I would not object to a new mold Whirly . Probably would build another .

It's so British , I'm sort of surprised that they have not come up with a new one...

Cheers, C B)

Maybe Airfix will give us a new mold one of these days

Their kits have so improved over the last few years, that I would not object to a new mold Whirly . Probably would build another .

It's so British , I'm sort of surprised that they have not come up with a new one...

Cheers, C B)
One thing everybody seems to forget is that the Whirlwind was the fastest plane at the start of the war. Its really surprising they did not convert it to a PR bird once they decided to rather send the Merlins to the Spitfires.

Well done, Yung Mister!! :notworthy :ro: :good: :salute
If you wish for a new Airfix kit, Tell them about it!
https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/forum/kitstarter/
See?!?

Back