• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

''Vintage'' Revell 1/48 F4J Phantom * Completed *

Phil

Started this one while doing the Spirit of St Louis when the weather stopped progress, same with my B-25J, just one to fill in the blanks.

Got it for free as well!

DSC_00854ja.jpg

DSC_00864jb.jpg

will be doing the Mig Ace decals - VF96 - straight OOB

You don't see this very often these days - Made in ...
DSC_6729p.jpg

early progress
DSC_6810f4.jpg

Finished that busy office tonight
DSC_6866xp.jpg

DSC_6867xp.jpg

DSC_6868xp.jpg

DSC_6869xp.jpg

DSC_6875xp.jpg

DSC_6883xp.jpg

Re: ''Vintage'' Revell 1/48 F4J Phantom

Nice pit Phil, great job on the radar scopes. If you ran a dark wash in the corners and lower sections it would really ad some depth and definition.

:pilot

Nice work picking out the details of the pit (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks all!

yeah MP even for something as simple as a good wash I need a guide like ''Windows for dummies"" - just replace windows with washes - also add panel lines and weathering - still can't for the life of me get those worked out properly.

Be it mix ratios, or product or method, this never seems to come together and look right.

If you look closely at the B25 interior bits I tried Vallejo black wash in places - turned out like black spilt dish washing water

I class myself as an above average modeller, I know I can do some parts of a build quite brilliant - then others as above!!! quite crap :)

Some people can cook - others can't - simple tasks but something just doesn't click, I think with me it never will!!

My forever Achilles heel

Practice practice practice Phil, I struggle with some of the basic concepts also but every now and then i look at something and think "Holy crap, did i did that?!" then screw it up and drop it! :rotf

The cockpit looks great, you really brought out the details in there. (y)

Here is some stuff to try Phil http://www.florymodels.co.uk/washes/ If I can get it to work then anybody can lol. Stuff is just amazing. That cockpit came out great by the way.

Cheers guys!

here is a little more progress
DSC_7056a.jpg

DSC_7059a.jpg

DSC_7063a.jpg

and been playing around with exhaust staining, not final yet
DSC_7071a.jpg

DSC_7069a.jpg

DSC_7072a.jpg

alot of cleaning up needed on the missiles, plus drilled out the rocket nozzles

DSC_7058am.jpg

reading up on the weapon loadout for Showtime 100 for the Mig Ace flight, I found that the outer weapon pylons were empty, this kit has tanks moulded onto the outer pylons unfortunately.

Another load out config for this aircraft
One centerline 600 gallon tank

Two AIM-7E Sparrow missiles on the aft missile wells. The forward missile wells were empty.

Inboard pylons loaded with TER's and 6 MK-20 Mod 1 Rockeyes.

Four AIM-9G Sidewinder missiles.

Outboard wing stations empty. No tanks or pylons were carried.

DSC_7062a.jpg

I replaced the awful bent thin plastic fin aerials/tubes with brass tube and brass rod which I have sanded down, the old ones are blu tac'd so you can see how crap they were
DSC_7074na.jpg

DSC_7075na.jpg

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I'm really linking the details!
The scratch are giving a real touch in the build! :ro:

Congrats

Art

I'm always impressed in how exhaust staining is pulled off!

Nice job with all the detail work!!

The great bent wing bird!

I KNOW the TRUE reason the eings and tailplane are bent.

When it was designed and built the prototype had straight wings and tailplanes. On the way out of the hangar the hangar doors started to closeand they bent the main wings yp. The aircraft was pushed back inside before it was damage too badly but as it was nealy out of the hangar a second time the doors malfunctioned again closing before the aircraft was clear and struck the tailplanes bending them downwad. Despite this damage the intrepid test pilot flew the aircraft and it was discovered that the aircraft performed MUCH better than originally designed. Therefore McDonnel had all production aircraft built with the bent wings too. ;<)

I'm enjoying watching this old kit come together.

Cheers

Good try . . ! As convincing as your reasoning sounds, the odd design you speak of were made to overcome the shortcomings of the F-101 design .

Cheers, Christian B)

DSC_7670wetpaint.jpg

Main colours grey, white,aluminium and black walkways now done although my masking didn't hold up too good on the walkways - I
I'll call it ''wear'' !!

Started on all the gear pieces tonight and added some grime so things are on the move again

and I have just noticed a mistake that I will have to fix - :bang head out with the masking tape and white paint again :vmad

What a Horrible day!

Today Tuesday 08/01/13 brought 40+ C to Wollongong - and a catastrophic fire warning for the whole area, at the moment there are 140+ fires burning across the state

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/15780785/catastrophic-fire-alerts-as-heatwave-hits/

http://au.news.yahoo.com/full-coverage/australian-bushfires/a/-/article/15786064/australia-posts-hottest-day-on-record/

We closed the house up with blockout curtins and this keep the place at 30 c with one aircon going, outside was like a blast furnace.

So keep myself busy.

DSC_7787a.jpg

DSC_7791a.jpg

DSC_7792a.jpg

DSC_7801a.jpg

DSC_7802a.jpg

DSC_7803a.jpg

DSC_7804a.jpg

DSC_7805a.jpg

had to drill out one of the drop down flaps and insert brass rod after the tabs broke - so did the other one as well

Come to the conclusion that I have a distinct hatred of white paint!!

some of the painting is a bit screwed up but I'm going with how it is

glosscoat next then I'll think about the decals.

Back