• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

''Vintage'' Revell 1/48 F4J Phantom * Completed *

Re: ''Vintage'' Revell 1/48 F4J Phantom

Finished these off tonight

DSC_7868o.jpg

Sorry Phil, don't know how we've been missing these updates, keep'em coming and keep safe!

Phantom is looking great! :pilot

Looking good Phil .
That weapons display just reminded me why I did not like walking under them . Just too many pointy things trying to bite you :sick:

Cheers, Christian B)

Thankyou MA ers!

Canopies half done, top grey still to do.

Not having a precut AM mask for the front curved section, I tried a new method.

Pressed Tamiya tape onto the area and scored down with my fingernail, then traced the area with a pencil.

removed the tape and placed it on a leftover Lego sticker sheet - it is gloss smooth adhesive sticker sheet.

simply cut out the traced mask with a sharp pair of scissors.

Did the same for the tricky shaped side pieces

DSC_7871m.jpg

Result
DSC_7876m.jpg

Started on the decals tonight, they are very old and the glue has turned yellow on them.

I'm finger wiping as much as I can off the decal backing sheet when wet, then moving the decal back and forth on it to try to rid as much yellow as possible before applying, some are actually wrinkling on the backing paper as soon as the water starts to soften them, so far no rips with them.

Thank goodness for my limited amount of Future, they are reacting ok with it under and over when I position them, some edges curled but the Future has them holding.

Bit of a stuff up with the position of the port side rescue/intake one, it's stuck fast with virgin Future and will have to stay like that, don't want to push these old decals too much.

Where I'm at

DSC_7881s.jpg

DSC_7880s.jpg

I'm cutting away as much yellow decal borders as I can to try to improve them.

Phil, put the decals in direct sunlight, I've read that removes the yellow. Never tried it but it's worth a shot.

It does work after about a week - Just remember to put em in a ziplock bag :bang head

Thanks MP I've also heard of doing that, not sure if I want to chance it though!!!!

Decals are done! Finished them tonight,used new Future on these out of my dwindling bottle - was worth it

I cut off what I could around the decals, scrubbed the decal carefully with my finger in the water dish which got rid of alot of the old decal glue, was quite amazing how dirty the water got from doing this.
Changed it frequently

The Falcon decal got trimmed all the way around, glad now I did that!

DSC_7913x12000.jpg

DSC_7909x1.jpg

DSC_7914x1.jpg

DSC_7915x1.jpg

DSC_7916x1.jpg

DSC_7917x1.jpg

DSC_7908x1_2000.jpg

You well could be right Paul - today new high temperature in Wollongong - ever - 46 c = 114.8 F

Welcome to hell - not near us thank God

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national/watch/97904cbe-5fcb-3ff0-b6fc-f7e623bc4538/residents-bracing-for-bushfire-battle/

It decided to start another fight last night and break one of the canopy frame lugs, :bang head so thats on the mend, meantime semi gloss clear has been applied, not that fussed with Tamiya mix up stuff, the Falcon decals started to lift on some edges so I glued those down with my Scotch Pe glue, the canopies themselves don't quite match up so may have them open.

DSC_7959f2.jpg

DSC_7962f2.jpg

DSC_7966f1.jpg

Seems it has had a few hard landings
DSC_7967f1.jpg

semigloss, :hmmm
DSC_7968f3.jpg

DSC_7972f3.jpg

DSC_7974f2.jpg

DSC_7969f1.jpg

closed up
DSC_7971f1.jpg

you can see the prob
DSC_7978f2.jpg

DSC_7984f2000.jpg

DSC_7983f2000.jpg

DSC_7981f1.jpg

will fit the payloads today, then should be done, weathering, well the raised panel lines are a P.I.T.A. so :unsure:

Back