• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

''Vintage'' Revell 1/48 F4J Phantom * Completed *

Re: ''Vintage'' Revell 1/48 F4J Phantom

Very good work there. I always though the 'sit' of the Monogram F-4 was the best of the bunch, especially when they scaled it down into 1:72. Phil, are you adding the loadout or leaving it as is ??

Ian

Cheers all, Ian all loaded up now.

I'd say this one is done - I've been playing around with the raised rivets trying to blacken them, but not so they are ''in your face'', I may go back to this later, they can stay like this for now.

Tip for Firefox users - if you press F11 you can expand your viewing screen, press F11 again when finished :geek

DSC_8019x2000.jpg

DSC_8008x2000.jpg

DSC_8009x2000.jpg

DSC_8090x1s.jpg

DSC_8045x1.jpg

DSC_8046x1.jpg

DSC_8027x2.jpg

I used Tamiya weathering set D burnt red and burnt blue for the exhaust over some oil stain in the same set
DSC_8026xc1.jpg

DSC_8081x1.jpg

DSC_8080xx1.jpg

DSC_8037x.jpg

Haven't glued the canopies yet, still in two minds for open or shut
DSC_8093x1.jpg

DSC_8107x1.jpg

DSC_8108x1.jpg

DSC_8109x1.jpg

DSC_8134x1f.jpg

DSC_8102x1.jpg

DSC_8078x.jpg

DSC_8136x1.jpg

DSC_8137x.jpg

I left the outer weapons pods off as they had additional fuel tanks, there is a empty resin set available I can order but out of stock at this time.
The bombs are not the load-out Showtime 100 had on but these were what the kit provided.

The old kit had some issues, but then it wouldn't be a challenge would it!

Added -
http://acepilots.com/vietnam/cunningham.html

Personally I'd leave the canopies closed. But it's your project, Phil. Loadout looks fine. It may not be the right one for the 'famous' triple-kill mission, but Cunningham was flying a different machine that day anyway - and it didn't survive !! There's nothing to say that '5800' never flew with that loadout - it wasn't uncommon on Navy F-4's of that period.

Great build.

Ian

Looks spot on Phil, a really nice model to have on the shelf and a great start to 2013 (y)

Phil, amazing job!
For sure I'll use your build as a reference to my F-4E Phantom, I really like the Cockpit and the colors, this is a beatifull bird!

Cheers

Art :mpup

Many thanks again,
I played around with some staining and finished the crew

I got the idea from these photos
DSC_8182r1.jpg

DSC_8183r2.jpg

DSC_8168xa.jpg

DSC_8171xa.jpg

DSC_8172xa.jpg

DSC_8176xa2.jpg

DSC_8181xa.jpg

Apologies Paul, Warren, Gary, Adam,
didn't read your kind replies until now,

Thankyou !

now after a suitable kit to do as ''Col Tombs'' mig that was shot down - any suggestions on this aircraft?

"Nguyen Toon (Nguyễn Tuân) or "Colonel Toon" or "Tomb" was a mythical North Vietnamese fighter pilot and flying ace who allegedly shot down 13 American aircraft during the Vietnam War. According to legend, he was killed in action on May 10, 1972, by the U.S. Navy F-4 Phantom crew of pilot Lt. Randy "Duke" Cunningham and radar operator Lt.(jg) William "Irish" Driscoll."

Back