• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

UH-1H Sgt. Daniel Wilson memorial build.

centaur567

This is Eschi's 1/48th scale, labeled as a UH-1D, but has the correct antenna and pitot tubes for a "H" model.

One improvement was to thin down the front 2 part that are in the nose and also to bevel the hole to look like stamped sheet metal.

h2e777b2.JPG

h3e5cff9.JPG

The Esci helo's in 1:48 were way ahead in terms of finesse of detail. I always enjoyed them. The Jet Rangers were especially good.

Ian.

Now that I installed these last parts I noticed a gap in the floor board.

h55a61c7.JPG

It should look like this.

hcffc70a.JPG

h4fa998f.JPG

but looks like this. Gary

It seems like the ex pilot's or crew chief/mechanics always know where the messups and inaccuracies are on models. I guess we have military AMS.
Just call us military rivet counters I guess.

I can only imagine the level of detail you would put on a H-60. Most of the stuff I do is the real obvious and hard to ignore. We had a saying" beat it to fit and paint it to match". I do plan to screen the engine cowling and try to make the air intake screens. And there are side pylons in the cabin between the pilot's doors and the small removable door that has a first aid kit at the top. Gary

I suppose these ones pulled a lot of ground fire Have you got any pictures of the type of damage and more importantly what the repairs lookes like? Its one thing I believe we as modelers miss is that repaired areas. :popcorn

I can only imagine the level of detail you would put on a H-60. Most of the stuff I do is the real obvious and hard to ignore. We had a saying" beat it to fit and paint it to match". I do plan to screen the engine cowling and try to make the air intake screens. And there are side pylons in the cabin between the pilot's doors and the small removable door that has a first aid kit at the top. Gary

This is one reason I don't to much of any modern stuff. You guys have that intimate first hand experience with what all went in and how it was plumbed and all. That SOS chopper we saw up in Fayetteville last year is a good example of it.

Looks like an easy fix from here. :popcorn

I was at a different work venue :( last week and was unable to access unbiased computer time. So in the meantime some progress was accomplished.
h401d933.JPG

This is a great book for building Monograms "B/C" Huey into a "C". There are some use full tips like seats, etc.

h4fa998f_2016-06-28.JPG

hb45c0ff.JPG

Made interior pylons.

hb0a573c.JPG

Found a lock washer a long time ago and though that is I build another Huey, it would make a great rear end turbine.

h8c5426d.JPG

Use folded fine mesh screen to make upper engine screen.

h3eb5d5b.JPG

Cut open hole for cargo hook. We called this area the "hell hole", because if you dropped a tool it could get real nasty.

h7b0ea87.JPG

h5efda4c.JPG

Now to make lightening hole for seen framing inside hell hole. plan to extend hydraulic control tubes down fron swash plate. Had to trim base of transmission in order for tubes to reach down. Gary

Looking good so far. That's a cool book. Is it all about detailing? If so, that's s must for an accurate Huey build.
We didn't have a hell hole on the floor, but our hell holes were actually 2 access openings behind the rear cabin wall. You had to climb over alot if fuel lines to get inside to the tailboom.
Now they have an access door on the right side behind the cargo door that's gets inside.
That figures!!! :bang head

Tim

On the Cobras, we didn't have a hole either. There was a panel under the stub wing that was a PIA. But we still called it a hell hole. It got real nasty in there. Gary

More progress.

h058600e.JPG

Added screens
h5672706.JPG

Detailed the collective lever.
ha853e97.JPG

Added armor plates to seats

h44da530.JPG

Made control tubes w/ rubber covers

hc2a2f5f.JPG

Painted interior primer lt. grey and glued the front baffles to nose for better fit after they broke off.
Thanks for looking Gary

hd4e4d90_2016-07-08.jpg

Sgt Daniel Wilson, KIA in Cambodia 1970. He was a UH-1H crew chief that I flew with as a part time door gunner. He was killed while I was home on leave after I extended my tour of duty. Gary

Back