• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpy F4F-3 1/32 build

I have found these 2 pic's of the FAA museums Martlet I

1164318.jpg

1158511.jpg

It offers another colour scheme however it seems the fixed wing Martlets went to the middle East and it seems likely they were in Grumman light Grey, some may have been over painted later with a sand stone colour. Looking at that engine bulkhead the kit is just totally wrong :-(

Fortunately i took a picture inside as well

DSCF0450-1.jpg

That's the F4F-3 with the single wasp R-1820 engine. Notice the totally different cowl, no cowl flaps. It's interesting to note that the 9 cylinder radial engine displaced just 10cid less than the 1830 dual radial engine with 18 cylinders. Also note the progressively larger exhaust manifold. As each cylinder is tapped in the diameter increases to accommodate the added volume. That's one feature I didn't bother modeling on mine. :mpup

:popcorn

Very cool pictures. Thank you. If memory serves me right the Far East Martlets were Mid stone (beige) over Azure :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

Greetings;

...... Great looking Spitfire......... very nice indeed. I hope
my BF-109/E7 comes out as nice as your Spit.

... :pilot ...,

Mike

Right .....I have spent a couple of hours messing about with this trying to find a way of making the parts i have presentable. The answer seems to me to be selective with the panels i remove
If i do this ....
trumpy4.jpg

then the cowl flaps will hide the fact that the engine has no inlet manifolds but i will still be able to show a reasonable amount of detail with the engine cowling parts ( shaded) removed as well as the super charger area access panel removed.
Does this seem a realistic option ie: would those panels be removable on the aircraft ??

I've never worked on one but from your presentation it looks like access panels. Rivets are not that obvious.

Cheers, Christian B)

Greetings Grumman Cat fans;

Let me go back to the archive, and see what I can
find.

In the mean time, like Saul said, I don't want to
say to much, with out a book siting in front of
me.

I would have a tendency to say that the whole
cowling comes apart for the ease of maintenance.
I know it does on the F6F Hell Cat. Let me see
what I can find on the F4F.

... :pilot ...

Mike

Thanks Mike
I found this on Moonpups thread its not the same Mk but its the principle i am after..

Wildcat_05.jpg

+ these
http://www.aero-web.org/database/aircraft/getimage.htm?id=5009

http://www.aero-web.org/database/aircraft/getimage.htm?id=5010

Which seem to show those panels removed.. ?

Greetings Paddy;

..... Excellent photo, I figured it came apart. I realize, that they
expect ADR's to be part Octopuses, but you would have to be able to
get to the engine to work on it.

Yes........ it appears that Chris made a good call...... :D

Looking good,

Mike

+ these
http://www.aero-web.org/database/aircraft/getimage.htm?id=5009

http://www.aero-web.org/database/aircraft/getimage.htm?id=5010

Which seem to show those panels removed.. ?

Ahh...these are the ones I fell in love with. The first one was one of the VMF-211 of Wake Island after the Japanese capture Wake. The Second is in the hanger deck of the USS Enterprise. There's two in that series.
g17426.jpg

g17425.jpg

These two are what inspired me to do my open panel hell.

Notice that these are actually two different aircraft.
More later, I gotta go to work :soldier

Cheers Guys, that settles that then i will leave the panel above wing, super charger area off and 1 or 2 panels within the cowling :)

Greetings Bob, & Paddy;

..... Excellent Photos........ I like them both. I find the second photo
very interesting. Note: the spare parts, fuselages, and wings hanging
from the hanger bay, overhead.

Sounds good to me Paddy. That will give the Grumman people something
to look at...... :D

... ...,

Mike

Mike there are some spare parts hanging, but most of them are full SBD and TBDs! See the fuselage with 3-T-3? That's a fully assembled aircraft. They would hoist them into the rafters of the flight deck for stowage. Remember this was before wing folding technology.

Greetings Bob;

Yes, I understand.......... I spent several months TAD on-board the
USS Independence, CVA-62.

It is hard to conceive aircraft hanging above your head, when
in one of the hanger bays.

Great pics .................................

Have a good day,

Mike

The TBDs did have some slight wingfold...similar to have the Corsair wings folded. But yes...the SBDs were not folded...they had a thick cable which wrapped behind the pilots seat which was used to hoist them up and hang them up in the hanger...

Right...first of all, sorry for the delayed start here but finishing work this week and a rush of stuff to do in the gunsight restoration dept has meant i have not had a lot of time..
first thing for me was to try and match the interior green in the FAA museum Martlet !

DSCF0450-2.jpg

I went for a coat of RAF camo Green followed by a dusting of British racing Green and then a flat coat. It sounds a bit long winded but its all available in Tamiya rattle cans so it saves setting up the spray brush half a dozen times :)
These are few PE bits to start with..

TrumpyF42.jpg

i always have mixed feelings about PE but i have to say that this is the first time i have used it on 1/32 scale and its a lot easier than my normal build size of 1/48, not just in ease of handling but in visible detail benefits. the self adhesive aspect is a waste of time because as i have found before on smaller scales the glue has dried out.
This is as far as i have got but now i have started i should be able to update a bit more often :)

TrumpyF43.jpg

Very nice. Really like the seat belts there. Your using the rod to hold them temporarily until ready for permanent placement? Nice work (y) (y) (y)
James

Lacquer thinner will take that adhesive off, I found it pointless. Looking forward to seeing those pictures Paddy. :mpup

Hi James
The rod is the finished thing but not cut off to length yet or painted :) the belts slide on the rod.

Back