• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpy F4F-3 1/32 build

paddy

TrumpyF4.jpg

I finally got to look in the box today at what i bought a while ago. On the face of it this Trumpy kit looks very serviceable, quite basic but there is plenty to work with.
To that end i bought some PE as well, I like to try something new with most of my builds and this time its the turn of a "BIG ED" set from Eduard.. To be honest i have never been a fan of PE because of its 2D limitations...ie its flat. This set from Eduard looks a bit of a nightmare at first glance, its saving grace might well be its 1/32 so i can actually see some of the parts which is always a good start.

TrumpyF41.jpg

This picture doesn't tell the whole story because there are second sheets of PE on the back of most of these packs. The set includes PE detail for Gun bays, exterior, landing flaps, undercarriage, interior, and paint masks. How much of these sets is actually usable remains to be seen but quite why they include ammunition belts with "flat bullets" could be a case in question for the 2D thing.

My plan is to build this kit as Royal Navy fleet air arm "Martlet III", basically a F4F-3A. Variations were mods like folding wings and number of guns in the wings and the amount of cowl flaps. I need to do a little more research but i think i basically have a free reign with all this because of the original 95 delivered, 30 were diverted from a order for Greece that was over run before delivery, likewise another order for 91 was diverted from France so the Royal Navy received a variety of models and marks.

Martlet_preserved_UK.jpg

Martlet_Decklanding_WW2_wartimecolour.jpg

This could all take some time as i lose my job at the end of this week after 36 years in the same place. I need to get something else going including a web site to try and sell some of my reflector gunsights and some of my mororcycle spares. Maybe their is a living to be made from selling this junk :laugh:
watch this space :)

Sad to hear about your work :( i hope you figure something out!
I hope you will be able to build on this bird, because it looks like it will be an awesome build!! (y)
//Mats

F4F-3 aka Martlet III would not have been carrier based. Once you get those folding wings you're in the world of F4F-4.

Other than that... :popcorn

Let me know if you need any spare parts. I got a little experience in this kit. :mpup

BTW, I did not attempt the flaps for the -3 but don't bother getting the -4 flaps, it's serviceable trash.

Sorry about you losing your work- I have been doing as much of my own thing as possible since JAN!

Hang in there. Oh and about your Wildcat- yuo didn't buy some PE for that- you bought ALL the PE! Good luck.

Let me qualify what I said. The -3 certainly was used on carriers. The Martlet III was not. The folding wings...i'm confused now. Looking over my stuff there were -3s with folding wings, Martlet IIIB.

I'll just sit in the corner and :popcorn

This is what i have...The French order was for non folding wings so the first 10 did not fold but the rest were built to RN spec and had folding wings.
Martlet I
Wright R 1820-40 engine with no cowl flaps HS prop four 7.5mm Darn machine guns.
Martlet II
simular to F4F-3A but with folding wings and 6 .50-cal machine guns
Martlet III
Production version of the XF-4F-6, USN F4F-3A P7W R-1830-90 with single stage /2 speed super charger Two cowling flaps Curtis elec prop and non folding wings.
Martlet IV
F4F-4
Martlet V
As IV but only two .50-cal machine guns.

You sound like i am heading for trouble with this kit Moonpup ?? have you had a bad experience ?

Yes the first RN Martlets were diverted French F4F-3 it seems

"The British ordered 100 Martlets equivalent to the US F4F-4A in the spring of 1941. The first 10 were delivered to F3F-3 standard and were labeled Martlet III. Of the remainder, 35 had the unique overwing pitot tube which was Grumman's initial answer to the new folding wing."

Looks like i am building 1/10 :)

This is what i have...The French order was for non folding wings so the first 10 did not fold but the rest were built to RN spec and had folding wings.
Martlet I
Wright R 1820-40 engine with no cowl flaps HS prop four 7.5mm Darn machine guns.
Martlet II
simular to F4F-3A but with folding wings and 6 .50-cal machine guns
Martlet III
Production version of the XF-4F-6, USN F4F-3A P7W R-1830-90 with single stage /2 speed super charger Two cowling flaps Curtis elec prop and non folding wings.
Martlet IV
F4F-4
Martlet V
As IV but only two .50-cal machine guns.

You sound like i am heading for trouble with this kit Moonpup ?? have you had a bad experience ?

First 30 Martlet III's meant for Greece sent to Britain and none folding wings. Used mainly in the desert war. But no matter what I still really love this old girl and cant wait to see it built. :popcorn

Sorry about you losing your work- I have been doing as much of my own thing as possible since JAN!

Hang in there. Oh and about your Wildcat- yuo didn't buy some PE for that- you bought ALL the PE! Good luck.

Yea i bought the Big ED set which seems to be the full nine yards...as we say :)
Thanks for the good wishes mate, i think there is going to be a whole lot more of us looking for something to do before we are out of this mess.

Well Paddy, this Big Ed was the one that weened me off Eduard for good, for the most part. Actually it was the -3. But it started as a -4 and the flaps really caused me to go with the -3.

Here's the link to my build thread. Wildcat F4F-4 the sequel
I ended up scratch building most everything from the firewall forward. The Engine is a Vector engine. I intended for this to be an open panel showcase but it turned into open panel hell... :woohoo:

Well Moonpup, i just spent an hour reading your thread. a valiant effort my friend against all odds it seems. Its the sort of project that if it were a Spit i would dive head first in because i know where i am with them but Grumman Cats are something totally alien to me ......I need to have a think if I even want to start this now !! thanks for the warning :)

And you know what's really funny, I'm not really into the Wildcats that much. There was a couple of pictures that intrigued me, sure you saw them.

Bottom line is, there's better kits out there that would do well with this sort of detail. I still may pick that thing up to finish it..(glazing up at the abandoned build shelf)

Spitfire you say...are you part of the conspiracy? I was hounded by my peers last week at the LHS, one of the Tamiya Spits was on the shelf.

do you mean the 1/32 Tamiya Spit ?? If so been there done that got the T-shirt..lol

Spit44.jpg

Spit47.jpg

SpitfireMkIX53.jpg

Spit57.jpg

_DSC0015.jpg

_DSC0020.jpg

Its a very nice kit but all the work is done for you, bit like painting by numbers. I have a the MkXVIe in the cupboard as well but it will be awhile before i want to do another one of those. The kit is so good its almost a bit boring....

:notworthy

Boring would be better than rackin' my brain for months at a time trying to figure out how to make a firewall.

All that plumbing is OOB?

Paddy, you got all this stuff for your Wildcat, git'er done! You know as well as I do that we build for ourselves.

:popcorn

Plumbing is extra ....you know how it is :)

I see we are on page 3 now and i haven't even opened the bags on this F4F !!!!

Plumbing is extra ....you know how it is :)

I see we are on page 3 now and i haven't even opened the bags on this F4F !!!!

Glad it's happen to someone else. :rotf

Boring in may be but those extra touches sets it apart.

:popcorn

Back