• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya North American P-51D Mustang 8th AF

Frank uses future to undercoat his Alclad. He builds a lot of NMF airplane models. His results are hard to argue with.
Nate Stevens sprayed Testor's PLA Green enamel under the Alclad paint on his fleet of Mustangs. He is building 2 P-51's from every squadron in WWII. His results are pretty too! They both comment flawless surface prep is essential, but Alclad adheres well to either medium. It seems Alclad's care little about what color the basecoat is.
My 2-bits.

Frank uses future to undercoat his Alclad. He builds a lot of NMF airplane models. His results are hard to argue with.
Nate Stevens sprayed Testor's PLA Green enamel under the Alclad paint on his fleet of Mustangs. He is building 2 P-51's from every squadron in WWII. His results are pretty too! They both comment flawless surface prep is essential, but Alclad adheres well to either medium. It seems Alclad's care little about what color the basecoat is.
My 2-bits.
@Frank
Show and Tell Frank. :popcorn

I wanted to see how the Vallejo "metal color" airbrush paint would perform on a large surface. I already know that it brushes very nicely. I had a beautiful coat of lacquer gloss black on her, then this stuff..
20230122_091357.jpg
Y'all, this stuff is good. It gave a nice, shiny, even coat. I gave it about six light coats (not really counting) and am very pleased. Gail was also pleased because there was no odor as she worked on her computer about 7 feet away from me.I let it dry for two hours, then masked off the nose and sprayed the blue Tamiya XF-8 mixed 50/50 with Mr. Leveler.
20230122_091249.jpg
20230122_091218.jpg
20230122_091205.jpg
Again, the carbon filters saved the day keeping the odor to tolerable levels for G's sensitive nose. I let it dry overnight, then Futurized it for decals. I am switching between this plane, the A-10, and a figure which I hope to show soon.

Nate's P-51D's are primarily 1/72 Academy and Airfix. Pictured here are "The Current Crop". Perhaps 1/3 of 1/72 Mustangs in his basement production line. A-36 Apaches, Allison powered P-51A's and P-51B's populate our President's collection as well.
He's a Nut, not so unlike most of us. :lol:

Nate's P-51D's are primarily 1/72 Academy and Airfix. Pictured here are "The Current Crop". Perhaps 1/3 of 1/72 Mustangs in his basement production line. A-36 Apaches, Allison powered P-51A's and P-51B's populate our President's collection as well.
He's a Nut, not so unlike most of us. :lol:
I wish I could get airfix products. Word has it they are top notch. Neither of my vendors carry them, saying they are difficult to deal with.

I wish I could get airfix products. Word has it they are top notch. Neither of my vendors carry them, saying they are difficult to deal with.
You don't have a Hobby Lobby nearby? They stock the 72nd scale Airfix kit at an extremely low price of $9.99USD and even less with their frequent 40% off sales. I have scored several for only $5.99USD each.

I have a problem!! I was applying the decals to the Mustang. I applied the HO on the port side and it worked great. I applied the HO on the Starboard side and of course I tore it. I put it back together so the tear didn't show and went to take nap. When I woke up and checked, the decal has come VERY apart again. I don't know if my grandchildren played with "Papa's Stuff" or not, but it was set solid. I scraped it off, sanded as smooth as I could, and reapplied the chrome paint. It looks awful, but I hope I can camouflage it with weathering. I have checked my stash of decals and don't have more H's or O's. Since this is a specific pilot's plane, I can't substitute. Does anyone have an H and an O I can buy?
20230130_093935.jpg
20230130_093432.jpg

Thanks in advance!
I would also like a "how to" or a link to a "how to" on applying decals. I don't hate decals, or even applying decals, but they definitely hate me!

has the paint cured? Did you have a top coat on what you had before? I'm baffled how this happened.

Back