• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya North American P-51D Mustang 8th AF

Oh no! Do you see something he would call me out on?!
oh no nothing like that. Mr. Detail Creep is when you tell yourself..."oh I'll add this little aftermarket part here" or "I need to correct this small detail". Next thing you know your neck deep in add all kinds of bits and bobs and spending more on them then the kit cost. Of course that is all well and good if you want to do that. Food for thought... :hmm:

oh no nothing like that. Mr. Detail Creep is when you tell yourself..."oh I'll add this little aftermarket part here" or "I need to correct this small detail". Next thing you know your neck deep in add all kinds of bits and bobs and spending more on them then the kit cost. Of course that is all well and good if you want to do that. Food for thought... :hmm:
I gotcha, so the Detali Creep would be me. I am not there yet for sure.

I WANT to be a detail creep really. I LOVE putting correct wiring, making copper tubing hydraulic pistons, etc. I am not a stickler for markings and such since I HATE doing decals. Hate hate hate LOL. So I am not sure what category that puts me in. However, if a particular pilot flew a particular plane, I wouldn't mind doing the correct markings for that hero.

If your interested...the Term Detail Creep' is a play on the military term 'Mission Creep'. Similar to Detail, Mission is where the planning process begins to add objectives beyond the original scoop of the operation/mission order. This also applies to follow on Targeting as well.
So just wanted to pass this on so you understood that I was not calling you a Creep. :salute:

If your interested...the Term Detail Creep' is a play on the military term 'Mission Creep'. Similar to Detail, Mission is where the planning process begins to add objectives beyond the original scoop of the operation/mission order. This also applies to follow on Targeting as well.
So just wanted to pass this on so you understood that I was not calling you a Creep. :salute:
noted topic for discussion at lunch tomorrow. :vgood:

Good to know!!!

Well Mr. Puppy , funny you should ask! I finally got my airbrush parts in and could finally get back to work on the Mustang. I sprayed a black layer of Alclad Primer, then gloss coated with clear gloss Alclad. (For those wondering, my stash is very old, maybe ten years old. I am still trying to get the new stuff one or two per order. I have the black microfiller primer so far). I used old Alclad Aluminium finish and let it dry, then used my step down (1800-22,000 grit) polishing cloths to try and get a shine. It did not get very shiny.
20230118_233614.jpg
Any advice as to whether this look is correct or should I go with a chrome finish is appreciated. I AM pleased that the surface looks pretty good. No finger prints or trapped dust or boogers to report. If this meets with your approval I will continue with the rest of the painting on the nose.

I've found that Polished Aluminum works better for a shinny finish. That base primer coat has to be absolutely pristine and glossy. I've found also that Tamiyas gloss black works better for me.

AlcladII is tricky stuff, can even vary from batch to batch. I know a lot of folks use Tamiya AS2 right from the can, I've even used Chrome and then weather the shine down.

I've found that Polished Aluminum works better for a shinny finish. That base primer coat has to be absolutely pristine and glossy. I've found also that Tamiyas gloss black works better for me.

AlcladII is tricky stuff, can even vary from batch to batch. I know a lot of folks use Tamiya AS2 right from the can, I've even used Chrome and then weather the shine down.
10-4 good buddy ;)

When I did my 1/72nd P-47 I used Alclad gloss black and gave it an immediate mist of Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. This gave the glass smooth gloss finish. Then I used chrome over that. THEN used a little of the other colors to weather the aluminum in areas. No sanding after first paint application all the surface was as smooth as I could get it before starting.
The Alclad gloss black went on a little rough and pebbly so the thinner sprayed over it LIGHTLY then causes it to level and smooth out. Then let it dry for a day.

Back