• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1:32 Mustang

omg...Omg...OMG!!! :zen :zen :zen Can't tell you the feeling I have right now. Satisfaction. :zen :zen :zen

The antenna are done.

P51D128.jpg

I took BMF and wrapped the base of them, measuring 22 scaled inches being exposed. I did some rough guestimations based on pixel count and overall hight of the antenna to come up with 22 inches being expose. If I'm wrong, too late. Measured twice, cut once. So far so good..found the size of teh hole on the spine and drilled out the bottom of the antenna oh so carefully, found .8mm rod worked well for support, cut a length and started test fitting. Looked good. I beveled off the bottom of the antenna slightly to get the curvature of the spine, test fit again. looked good...CA time.

P51D129.jpg

Lesson learned. Should have had the antenna in place when painting NMF. That way the root of the mount would look more uniformed and seamless. Ended up drybrushing MM Chrome to clean up where the CA marred the alcladII finish. Maybe a clear coat will blend the two. It's not bad but I can see it.

P51D130.jpg

I promise to never, EVER attempt to scribe a access panel freehand again. that's suppose to be the access panel for the antenna, it would have been a field modification, I think the guys in the field would have done a better job that this.

P51D131.jpg

P51D132.jpg

I'm a happy camper folks! I tried some of Ian's dry pigment work, putting any mask on this scares the bejesus out of me but I can see the effect he's talking about. Look at this picture around the ammo bay covers, I used burnt umber pigments around there. Whatcha think Ian (waiting on Ian to get registered again, he was one who got deleted.. :unsure: )

P51D133.jpg

I may do some more pigment work on it, already dirtied up the tires. I'll try and get some better pictures this weekend if weather permits and call this DONE!

So, is it time to pick it up, zoom across the room make propeller sounds and avoiding getting tripped up by the dogs?

Regards,

Congratulations Bob.It's looking good. One thing though. check your flap angles. They seem awfull close to the ground. :drinks
Cheers ,Christian B)

The Flaps are in full down travel, if they are too low then Tamiya is allowing them that low. I need to secure the ailerons as they are too free in movement, can't pose them so they will have to be glued.

omg...Omg...OMG!!!
P51D133.jpg

I may do some more pigment work on it, already dirtied up the tires. I'll try and get some better pictures this weekend if weather permits and call this DONE!

Oh hell YES! Great looking mustang here Bob, take a bow... I know the feeling. :drinks

Beautiful Mustang Bob!!! :ro: :ro: :ro:

Well now I have motivation to build a Red Tail new Tamiya P-51D box (1/72).

(Hobby Boss have a new 1/48th scale P-51D kit also :gogo )

All the best!
Dusan.

I saw that kit today Dusan, even picked it up and thought of doing a 1:72 scale of this same bird...not enough punishment I guess...:mpup

I think I'm gonna build a B model pretty soon. Possibly NMF. I'll have to see when I get there. Of course it won't be as complex as yours.

Cheers, Christian B)

There's a lot to be said about that Chris. I got back on the Spitfire today and bam, it's almost ready for weathering!

Here's a shot today out on the tarmac (the foot path to the garage...)

Wish I would have fixed those ailerons.

P51D134.jpg

You can tell I had an orange shirt on...

With all the things go wrong in the paintjob I can say you turned this into a MASTERPIECE!

Well done,MP!!! (y) (y)

Greetings,Ron.

Back