• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Su-27 1/48th scale by Academy Flanker B

Thanks to all for the info and great pictures!! I'm using the nose that came with the kit. Looks good enough to me. The scheme with the dual sharks has an over all lt. blue paint job. Mine is going to have the standard camo with the shark on the port side. I also noticed that the nose wheel mud guard is blue instead of green.
Is the Mig-31 a newer version of the Mig-29 and does the Su-35 still have the droop nose? Any pics of this Su-27 with the shark on the port side and standard camo? Thank again, Gary S. XLV MMXXIV
Well, I don't recall Red 08 from Lipetsk ever having only one shark, much less a shark with camouflage. I could find no photographs, only color profiles from kits.

MiG-31 is a new aircraft built to take over the retiring MiG-25 role. All Sukhoi fighters are designed with the drooped nose as they are all tall aircraft.

Enjoy the build!

Regards,

100_6512.JPG
100_6513.JPG

Ok Saul you got me thinking and that can be dangerous. I figured out how to flip an image on my lap top. Then I scanned in the decal sheet with my old desk top, moved that to a flash drive ,loaded it into the laptop, flipped and saved it. then back to the desk top and printer and after a couple of errors with plain paper I was able to get a decent decal. Then when I let it dry some I sprayed it with decal film spray. Well I must have done it too heavy for now the colors ran some. So after I recover from my surgery I'll get some more decal paper from Hobby Lobby and try it again. At least I have the procedure worked out. So if I get a good set for the rt. side I'll do an overall lt. blue, which is easier to paint. Thanks.
Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

Gary, it is never bad to try. My suggestions are to try to get the mouths, eyes, and tail fin. The rest, you can use the decal (or decal paper) to cut a mask for the dark/royal blue. On your decals, as well as the kit, back it up with white as I found the kit decals to be translucent and home made decals on clear film usually don't have white printed on them. Use scrap to try it out.

Regards,

Hi Saul, the decal was looking pretty good till I applied too much of the decal film spray. So I'll try the decal route again and I did use white decal paper. Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

My surgery went well. Still recovering and waiting for my eye to clear up. It's still milky, but improving. After watching a few build videos of building the Su-27, the added nose weight. So yesterday I cut off the nose with a zacto knife and added 2 .38 rounds minus the shell casings. the nose was then re-glued back on. Hard to believe that with such a long nose it would need weight. It's not mentioned in the instructions. Although the video was for the Hobby Boss kit. Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

100_6537.JPG
100_6538.JPG
100_6535.JPG
100_6543.JPG

Managed to get a few more parts together. Leading edge slats, flaps, vertical fins w/ rudders, dorsal strakes, and horizontal stags. Also the canopy had the rear view mirrors installed, the front windscreen was tinted yellow (as seen on videos), then taped off and installed. Next the the landing lights that are mounted to the nose gear looked a little plain. I thought that just painting them silver wouldn't look good. So I drilled out the lights
and installed small rhinestones. Then to remove the facet effect I applied super glue to the face of the rhinestones. Not totally accurate, but it will look better to have a shiny light than a dull silver one. Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

Well, I don't recall Red 08 from Lipetsk ever having only one shark, much less a shark with camouflage. I could find no photographs, only color profiles from kits.

MiG-31 is a new aircraft built to take over the retiring MiG-25 role. All Sukhoi fighters are designed with the drooped nose as they are all tall aircraft.

Enjoy the build!

Regards,

139754_60380213_photo_29569.jpg
139754_tmb_102181836_photo_90938.jpg

After looking again at my reference photo's, I found 08 with the shark only on the port side with camo. The camo is low contrast, but still contrast. I like the camo suggested by the kit and will go with that even though it has a little more color than the photo's. Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

100_6547.JPG
100_6546.JPG
100_6545.JPG

Thanks Saul and Bob!! Managed to do a little more work done. The nose gear consisted of 14 parts. Masked off the fins of some of the rockets after painting them black. Did some touch up of the wheel well gray and used the same color for some of the upper surface camo. While I had the black loaded into the airbrush the engines were painted a base coat. More touching up of the gray will be done later. Since the weather is so crappy I wanted to look at my Monogram F-106 kit. After taping it together I was surprised as to the size of it compared to the Sukhoi. The initial fit doesn't seem too bad. Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

Old school question. Does the nose droop allow better visibility during Carrier approaches? Could be advantageous for land operations as well? Some Russian engineer knows for sure.

100_6576.JPG
100_6577.JPG
100_6578.JPG
100_6579.JPG

Got some painting done yesterday, but I'm not sure about the colors. Looks like the gray and lt. blue may be a little dark and the dark blue a little light. Thinking about it last night I was sure that the gray, at least, needed to be repainted. After looking at it this morning I think it looks good enough. Weathering with oils should tone it closer. I hope. Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

Back