• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Su-2 in 1/48 goes down in flames !

Su-2 in 1/48

Well, it looks like it's a week for big time failures, I left the kit under a light to help cure the flat finish and when I came back I found one wing pointing up at nearly 30º. So it looks like I'm done here. Shame because I really liked this kit and it went together so well. I do have another in the stash and I will put this one in the box with it, I may be able to salvage some of the parts when I get around to building it but right now I don't have the heart to start over.

su-2-b21.jpg

Su-2 in 1/48

Well I feel like I'm in good company now. Sorry Gary, mount it above your bench and we'll have a pair!

Su-2 in 1/48

Well, it looks like it's a week for big time failures, I left the kit under a light to help cure the flat finish and when I came back I found one wing pointing up at nearly 30º. So it looks like I'm done here. Shame because I really liked this kit and it went together so well. I do have another in the stash and I will put this one in the box with it, I may be able to salvage some of the parts when I get around to building it but right now I don't have the heart to start over.

su-2-b21.jpg

Flip it upside down and see if goes back the other way. It's already damaged :fencing

Cheers, Christian B)

Su-2 in 1/48

Actually the other side looks worse. I do this all the time and have had only one other case like this. I think the plastic is softer than most. I noticed when trimming parts it was real easy to make a divot. The other case was about 8 years ago and was an early Eduard kit which also had very soft plastic, in that case I was just trying to get enough light on it to take a photo of the cockpit, while I had my eye to the view finder, the wing did this
yak3-005.jpg

I haven't decided whether to start a Mulligan, I have plenty of other Russian kits in the stash but none that are calling my name. I'd love to do the Xuntong Model Tu-2 but it needs some major nose surgery to correct and I don't think it's something I want to do against a deadline. Maybe I should do a tank, if I melt it I could call it battle damage :rotf

Bad luck comes in threes. One more model fatality and we should be in the clear for awhile.

Cheers,
Rich

Su-2 in 1/48

Actually the other side looks worse. I do this all the time and have had only one other case like this. I think the plastic is softer than most. I noticed when trimming parts it was real easy to make a divot. The other case was about 8 years ago and was an early Eduard kit which also had very soft plastic, in that case I was just trying to get enough light on it to take a photo of the cockpit, while I had my eye to the view finder, the wing did this
yak3-005.jpg

I haven't decided whether to start a Mulligan, I have plenty of other Russian kits in the stash but none that are calling my name. I'd love to do the Xuntong Model Tu-2 but it needs some major nose surgery to correct and I don't think it's something I want to do against a deadline. Maybe I should do a tank, if I melt it I could call it battle damage :rotf

Oh well, just a thought. I guess you could always do a crash scene if you're inclined to dioramas.

Cheers, Christian B)

OK, (takes a deep breath) after last nights disaster I spent some time considering options for repair. Had the damage been limited to the wing I might have been tempted to just cut it off and replace it but the damage extended into the wing root portion of the fuselage and with the cockpit being part of the lower wing it appears that any repair scenario would entail more work than just starting over and that ain't happening at this time.

So what to build for a Mulligan. I have no shortage of Russian kits, some of them known to be rather laborious builds and at this point that is something I'd like to avoid. This one is tempting and it comes with that famous Belgium chocolate but all that resin and a very extensive amount of PE made me shy away.

la7-32-box.jpg

Could do another Zvezda kit which has gotten very good reviews...

la5box.jpg

But it just isn't calling my name at the moment.

Gonna give it a bit more thought but I'm leaning towards this one...

I-16-32box.jpg

OK, (takes a deep breath) after last nights disaster I spent some time considering options for repair. Had the damage been limited to the wing I might have been tempted to just cut it off and replace it but the damage extended into the wing root portion of the fuselage and with the cockpit being part of the lower wing it appears that any repair scenario would entail more work than just starting over and that ain't happening at this time.

So what to build for a Mulligan. I have no shortage of Russian kits, some of them known to be rather laborious builds and at this point that is something I'd like to avoid. This one is tempting and it comes with that famous Belgium chocolate but all that resin and a very extensive amount of PE made me shy away.

la7-32-box.jpg

Could do another Zvezda kit which has gotten very good reviews...

la5box.jpg

But it just isn't calling my name at the moment.

Gonna give it a bit more thought but I'm leaning towards this one...

I-16-32box.jpg

I have not read the reviews on the I-16 Gary but the airplane itself is very basic unless you start chasing particular models.

The Belgian chocolate is bribery at it's worse. if you decide to get that one, I will be glad to help you with the chocolate dilemma :woohoo:

Cheers, Christian B)

I already have that one Christian and I'm not into sharing when it comes to chocolate :evil: .

The Special Hobby kit comes with the usual SH fit issues but with virtually no panel lines there won't be much to repair after filling and sanding. The kit itself is basic simplicity as was the real thing. The only PE is the seat harness and the only kit supplied resin parts are the exhaust stacks and gun sight parts. Of course I couldn't totally go the easy route so I have the Vector resin engine that mostly hides behind the cowl but I love building their engine kits and it comes with a replacement cowl that looks much better than the kit supplied one.

Back