• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tornado ASSTA 3.1, Revell 1:48

Y'all, this tail art is what led me choose this version over the other. So cool!
20221119_161909.jpg

You've improved!! OUTSTANDING! :vgood:
I cain't see why the undercoat marbling makes much difference in the final finish from here.

Another thing to thnk about is painting the edges of the canopy, I've even did a double mask on one that was open to get the inside frames painted. Got it all masked out then painted it black, then then interior color on the inside and exterior on the outside...gives a lot of depth.

Good looking build Greg :Drinks:

Thats something i didnt do on the A-10 Bob. strangely i did buy a mask but while i remember it arriving and unpacking it, i never did find it again so i made my own which worked so well i wouldn't buy one again :)

Bob, inside the canopy the edges are black. Easy peasy I think. I am pretty sure I can freehad that.🙃
Paddy, I am puttung the piano wire in and drilling holes.
Great tips you guys!

Decals are the bane of my existance! %@%$&! I messed up two of them so badly because they went over two lights which protruded from the side. It did not occur to me to take the lights off and put them back after decaling. I removed the decals (and lights) and taped off the area then spraypainted after working to match the colors. That was fine intil I got to the circle logo. It looked like a child painted it. So I took all of that off again and will look for a solution to make the circle logo. It may be a good time to try out my circle cutter. I also need two more German crosses since the plane takes 4 and the sticker sheet has two. (insert face palm here). I need to get with an expert and learn to do decals!

I didn't have any piano wire at the house where I build my models; it is at the store. Instead, I used styrene rod instead. I drilled out small holes for the rod and it works GREAT! Thanks @paddy for that great tip.

I am quite lucky in that my local model shop is into RC aircraft so they have a huge range of alloys, tubes piano wire and stuff useful to the plastic model builder :)..The only real problem i have is...I am 6ft 4" and they hang RC aircraft from the ceiling down to 6ft :)

241839819_6162808930427573_1259477969936225158_n.jpg

It is finished except for the matte varnish but it needs to dry for a couple of days. I kept the contrast to a minimum and I like the way it looks. First I coated a small area with mineral spirits, then with a fine brush I painted thinned down oil paint blend of blue-gray and black into the lines. I let that dry for a minute then used a sable hair flat brush barely dampened with spirits and raked away the excess in the direction of airflow. I then went into the angles and crevasses with raw umber on a mostly dry, very small flat brush and scrubbed it into the corners.
20221121_194218.jpg
20221121_183109.jpg
20221121_183046.jpg
20221121_194242.jpg

Attachments

• 20221121_194252.jpg
    20221121_194252.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
Back