• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Su-2 in 1/48 goes down in flames !

Su-2 in 1/48

Cleaning will not help it, it appears to be a vinyl material of some sort. I did not try any other gloss mediums as all I have are acrylics and I don't think any of them will stick any better than the future did. Depending on how they look when I done I might try something else as a top coat but if they look reasonably good I probably won't mess with them.

Su-2 in 1/48

Yiiiipes, I have never seen clear plastic bend . Usually that stuff is hard and brittle .

You just caused me to go look ans see what brand it was :skipper ICM . Maybe it'll be :geek different .

Cheers, Christian B)

Su-2 in 1/48

ICM should be OK Christian, so far only Zvezda seems to have bendable clear parts

Su-2 in 1/48

You could always try strips of painted decal paper for the canopy frame if you can't get paint to stick Gary. :popcorn

Su-2 in 1/48

OK, primary colors are on, clear coats up next then on to stickers

su-2-b17.jpg

su-2-b18.jpg

Su-2 in 1/48

Windows for the camera and maybe bomb sight. The original masking peeled off along with future when I unmasked the bottom so I had to remask.

Su-2 in 1/48

I've 'fought' these a couple of times on IL2, take a lot of damage before they go down, but not too manoevrable at low level... Sorry, did I just say all that out loud ?? :facepalm - Nice work Gary, looking forward to the 'stickers'.

Ian.

Su-2 in 1/48

OK, stickers on, what few there are

su-2-b19.jpg

su-2-b20.jpg

They went on nice and settled down with only a small amount of set and sol. I did not install the upper wing stars shown on the instruction sheet as a photo I found did not have them. I did use the black outlined ones on the fuselage per instructions but am not certain they correct. I had questions about the camo pattern on the top but sovietwarplanes.com stated there appeared to be no standard patterns for the SU-2. I finally just threw up my hands and decided that it was a Russian plane made by a Russian company and hopefully they have better information at hand than I do. :gogo

Now the next dilemma is weathering. It would seem that most of these aircraft didn't survive long enough to accumulate much in the way of service grim, muck and weathering. I did want to do a bit of panel line wash but the panel lines are so fine I don't think they will hold a wash. On the other hand the rivet detail is much deeper and I afraid any attempt at a wash is only going to over emphasize the rivets which they don't need. Also a dark wash is not going to show up well on the black areas, Decisions, decisions !

Su-2 in 1/48

Yes they did, I always hold my breath with decals from these smaller companies but even the 15 which had a lot of clear film went down nice and didn't silver.

Su-2 in 1/48

Didn't someone recently use a pencil to do panel lines? Just thinking out loud. :hmmm

Su-2 in 1/48

I have done that myself in similar situations Bob and that may be what I'll do here as well, still :hmmm

Su-2 in 1/48

I have done that myself in similar situations Bob and that may be what I'll do here as well, still :hmmm

# 2b lead hine to a very fine point will do. Need a matt coat afterward to take the shine off .

or you could use a paine gray oil wash if the lines will accept it .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back