• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sturmovik

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Reboot!

:dude

Going with the IL2 Sturmovik now.

Got this from Barney a while back.

hf5469f8.jpg

I've seen this build so many times now, I'd like to give it a shot.

Question, why did Eduard spell it Shturmovik?

Stormovik

Thanks Saul, I was wondering because I couldn't find any google ref with the same spelling, doesn't matter, can't pronounce either spelling...

Stormovik

Thanks Saul, I was wondering because I couldn't find any google ref with the same spelling, doesn't matter, can't pronounce either spelling...

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe "shturmovik" is the correct spelling

Stormovik

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe "shturmovik" is the correct spelling

If you are referring to a direct translation of Cyrillic "Штурмови́к," then you're correct. Shturmovik is the spelling. However, the Russian game company decided to use Sturmovik when they released their game. The translation of Штурмови́к is close to one who storms... as in storms a battlefield. Using that, it should make sense that the reference is to Ground Assault aircraft such as the Ilyushin Il-2, Sukhoi Su-25, Fairchild Republic A-10, and so on.

Regards,

Stormovik

As long as we're pondering that name, what is the real meaning of it ? :idonno

The first test aircraft were designated BSh-2 for Bronirovannyi Shturmovik (Бронированный Штурмовик) which means Armoured Attack Plane. Shturmovik is a generic term for Close Support Aircraft, the Su-25 being the latest to be referred to as such.

Cheers,
Rich

You should enjoy this one Bob, it does have a few traps, so please check and dry fit frequently before committing to gluing, also go through my build and try my method with the floor and fitment of the elevator rod,

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/from-russia-with-love/147155-eduard-1-48-il-2m-shturmovik-completed?start=36

you can try the instruction method and my way by dry fitting to work out which way you want to go on this part of construction.

Also the prop housing gave me a tough time, see if you can adjust or fix that prob by dry fitting the complete prop before you go too far like I did.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/from-russia-with-love/147155-eduard-1-48-il-2m-shturmovik-completed?start=84

Three parts to put on dead last!!!! the two landing gear indicators in the wings and the nose sight !!!
Trust me on this!!

Which scheme are you doing?

You should enjoy this one Bob, it does have a few traps, so please check and dry fit frequently before committing to gluing, also go through my build and try my method with the floor and fitment of the elevator rod,

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/from-russia-with-love/147155-eduard-1-48-il-2m-shturmovik-completed?start=36

you can try the instruction method and my way by dry fitting to work out which way you want to go on this part of construction.

Also the prop housing gave me a tough time, see if you can adjust or fix that prob by dry fitting the complete prop before you go too far like I did.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/from-russia-with-love/147155-eduard-1-48-il-2m-shturmovik-completed?start=84

Three parts to put on dead last!!!! the two landing gear indicators in the wings and the nose sight !!!
Trust me on this!!

Which scheme are you doing?

Thanks Phil, will study your builds closely.

Scheme, haven't even looked that far yet. Guess I'm limited to what was flying over the Kursk battlefield.

Stormovik

If you are referring to a direct translation of Cyrillic "Штурмови́к," then you're correct. Shturmovik is the spelling. However, the Russian game company decided to use Sturmovik when they released their game. The translation of Штурмови́к is close to one who storms... as in storms a battlefield. Using that, it should make sense that the reference is to Ground Assault aircraft such as the Ilyushin Il-2, Sukhoi Su-25, Fairchild Republic A-10, and so on.

Regards,

Spot on. The three pronged letter is "SH" as in shush :smack , the Sturmovik spelling in reverse would have had a C instead (C is S). Also P is R, B is V, Y is U, X is H, H is N and so on, makes your head spin :blink . THey have also kept some greek letters - Delta is D, PHI is F, PI is P, LAMBDA is L etc. Phonetic-ish language.

Laurence

Fair 'nuff. I asked because I have the Italeri boxing, and I wasn't aware that Eduard had sourced an IL2 from scratch... I'll do some Googling (other search engines are available ;) )

Ian

Bob great looking kit! B) Ian, this one is AM (like Italeri boxing), Eduard have their own tool in 1/72 scale.

:popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

Back