• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scammell Pioneer FINISHED

It could work but the colours are a bit clashy ( is that a word )

DSC_3673.JPG

DSC_3673_01.JPG

That seems fitting! Tanks and trucks may endure very different sorts of weather and wear, don't you agree?
Jolly Good! :tens:

Looks exactly right to me, but could the tires need smashing down? Here I go making more trouble about tires :smack:

That'll be interesting. Thanks for the heads up Paddy.
The trailer looks great, can't wait to see it in the next level.

Tyres are the one thing this kit falls down on a bit as there is no shape to them (flats and bulges ) however i am hoping to sink them a little bit on a sand base to artificially create a flat

Yesterday i started messing about with a base for the truck. Rather than build a diorama as such the model needs a base because.
A/ the trailer is not permanently fixed to the truck, it just sits in place
B/ the trailer is not self supporting if you remove the truck and parts will break off if you let it rest on the ground especially with the weight of a tank on the trailer.
C/ The tank is tethered to the trailer with ropes and cables .shackles but these in scale plastic are not strong enough to actually hold the tank in place so you need to glue/fix the tank to the trailer.

I have used air drying clay but i have never done anything like this before so its a bit of an experiment. The clay will not be a finish, it just gives me the contours i want. I dont really want to add features as the desert is by its nature pretty featureless.

DSC_3686.JPG

The Italeri Jeep i took a chance on looks to be a lot more comprehensive than the well known Tamiya version in so much as it has an engine and better underside detail so very pleased with this

DSC_3691.JPG

Just a quick look at the engine detail, its basic but lots to work with.

Looking like it just left the factory this is my Italeri SAS jeep and bowser
Its a nice kit, well detailed on the under side, a nice engine , never to be seen again as you can open the hood once the guns are fitted :)
no condenser for the radiator makes me think this was meant to be European theatre but then why the long range tanks ?

DSC_3699.JPG

DSC_3700.JPG

Now i just need to mess these up a bit so they look like they actually did some work :)

In the end i went with the Chevy jeep as the load :)

135 Scammell tractor (3).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (5).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (6).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (7).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (8).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (9).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (10).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (10).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (11).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (12).JPG
135 Scammell tractor (13).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (14).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (15).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (16).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (17).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (18).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (19).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (20).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (4).JPG

135 Scammell tractor (21).JPG

This is a kit you can have a load of fun building, just make sure you get the chassis square, clamp it down on a flat surface with a little discreet strengthening to help hold it square, the rest is a breeze :) Many will be able to make a much better job than me because it has the potential to build into a museum piece from the box.
The only real problem i had was actually handling this because the more you assemble the more fragile the whole thing becomes., i dont know how many times i refitted the trailer jacks :)

go on...treat yourself, you wont regret it as long as you are not an absolute beginner or have 10 thumbs :)
Questions or Comments ? fire away.

Paddy

Gomez Addams Outstanding.jpg

Overall an excellent build Paddy! I really like the fact that while there is a lot of scratches and paint chips, it isn't all rusty. In many cases I believe the added rust on builds is over done. In the desert environment there would virtually no rust except on exhaust pipes and even then it would be more burned paint than rust. My old VW's had grey primered mufflers on them that ran quite hot and were at the back of the vehicle. While they would have a little rust around the seams and such, it would take YEARS of driving with winter salt and such to make the kind of rust that is shown on many vehicle builds.

A room full of 10s.gif

Back