• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell FW-190- A8 "Sturmbock" 1/32

This build for me, has been all about getting back to basics, stop taking short cuts and do the job properly. To put it another way, stop churning out so so build... .
Well looking back over the thread this picture sticks out

_DSC9553.JPG

Luftwaffe liked their spiral spinners but i find these a bit daunting. I looked on line for an easy solution and guess what ? Everyone else finds these decals a challenge and all the best build spray the spiral.
Well i tried that and the idea is to spray the spiral colour, mask it off then spray the Spinner. That's when i found that this is difficult because the spiral is tapered so your masking needs to be tapered and its really hard to mask the centre circle.

At this point i found a small note on a forum that just said, cut the decal in the kit into sections, get the centre circle fitted and dry, then add the rest
Simple :)

So primer

_DSC9562.JPG

The white and the deal in 3 parts.

_DSC9571.JPG

dont look now but it only bloody worked :)

Very pleased with myself....not just because it worked, but because i pulled myself up for not doing a proper job in the first place and gave it a go :)

I have used the decals and with patience and waiting until it is fully placed to spritz "Solvaset" on it makes it work fairly well. I just learned that you have to do the paint/decal before assembling the spinner to the prop (the prop openings). A bit of a pain, but it works.

I started playing with build No.2, i want to just build from the box but that said i already had a spare set of PE cockpit dials so the first thing i did.........was deviate from the plan.
We all think if we could do a build again we could do better so lets see if all that after market was really worth it :)

this is the pit
_DSC9587.JPG

_DSC9584.JPG

Differences this time ?
I got the paint in the cockpit to match the PE rather than go for the recommended RLM
I didnt use the PE for the main consul as its very 3D with its clocks (top pic) so PE just doesnt look right. This is now painted with decals.
I also added a map case which was missing

I get the matching to the PE, but what I have done in the past has been to paint the correct color and then lightly wash the correct color on to the PE. It takes a little fine paint brush skill, but can give a much better look as the paint printing on the PE parts isn't all that great at times.

Good idea Paul, i will give the whole lot a matt coat which will match things up better also some weathering and a few more levers to fit but TBH most of the stuff on the RHS panel is a figment of Eduard's imagination :)

5b55c42554fc.jpg

I am not saying this is complete but the LHS shows the Yellow throttle and a rotary switch .... there aren't a load of spare holes or anything and the panel is half the width of the RHS :)

This picture reminds me of the unrestored Martlet (F4F) in the navy museum here . Its quite a revelation how simple the cockpit was and how crude, nothing like the PE examples.
Lets face it if i said the Eduard FW190 panel as i have done it above was the rear seat of a modern F15, anyone who knew no better would agree :)

Now i am thinking i need to put this right or little point in continuing the build as its pure fiction ?

PXL_20220827_091654319.jpg.71966426da74a97741e2d544e3fba852  tt.jpg
DSC_0462.JPG

This is my PE panel v the real thing ?

HELP :)

Last edited:
No real issues for me but an interesting topic of discussion i thought,,, always good to hear others opinions as i dont claim mine to be spot on :)

Meanwhile over at kitsworld a top level boardroom meeting is underway

Report smithers
Well sir we designed the control panels for the FW190 Sir and have done the artwork in the correct RLM grey .
Excellent smithers but i think they would look better in green. I like cucumbers, they are green so green panels it is
Yes sir right away....

DSC_0504.JPG

They still look too busy in reference to the real pit photos. I have been seeing those panels done up in such a way that it is hard for me to believe the pictures of the real McCoy.

So this is the benchmark and the half way point

Revell 1.32 Stombock (1).JPG

Revell 1.32 Stombock (2).JPG

Revell 1.32 Stombock (3).JPG

Revell 1.32 Stombock (4).JPG

Revell 1.32 Stombock (5).JPG

Revell 1.32 Stombock (6).JPG

Revell 1.32 Stombock (7).JPG

Revell 1.32 Stombock (8).JPG

Revell 1.32 Stombock (9).JPG

Revell 1.32 Stombock (10).JPG

Revell 1.32 Stombock (11).JPG

Sorry about the bent gun :), its resin and warped. I twice got it back straight with a little heat and persuasion but the following day it had settled back to being bent :)
I am quite pleased with this which is unusual for me as normally the photos can bring you back down to earth with a bump but these dont look too bad..

Now you've gone and done it Paddy. I've been looking for a FW 190 with little luck I have 2 Border Model 1/35 on order and still trying to find a ZM 1/32 kit. So instead I have pulled out my ZM Bf 109 G-14. Have ordered a cockpit and weapons for it and a decal scheme I like. Now its time to try and build. I place this firmly in your camp as being a good/bad influence on me.
James

ha ha its all my fault. The Border model looks great, personally i thinks its a shame about the scale but i get the thinking of 1/35 dioramas, some people say it will hardly notice but its 10%
Look forward to seeing it built James :)

The kit supplied engine is actually rather good.
It lacks an ignition lead ring but other wise its well up to the part. You can see below how the front reduction gear is a couple of mm shorter and thats the problem with the fit in the fuselage at the front i had. I would guess its about 1-1.5mm smaller on Dia as it fits in the fuselage with the std 1mm thick covers where as the eduard item has transparent thin covers and its still large on dia.

_DSC9399.JPG
Eduard
_DSC9596_01.JPG
Revell

I could really detail the Revell engine but i have only built it to demo here as i will button the front end up on the model as i dont need 2 with engines displayed.

DSC_0499.JPG

the Revell engine will build up in 15 minutes, the Eduard engine is a model in itself and will take days longer if you do it properly

Could the bell housing from Revell be used on the Ed kit? Would that solve the problem of the over size?

Back