• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Quad & Bedford QL portee. Quad is done.

Re: LRDG chevrolet and Quad with 6 pdr. gun by Bagge

Thanks Dave and Rob!
Alot of good info there Rob, much appreciated :)
I have two sets of the tamiya gun in my stash, but i looked at those and decided to build this one instead, because it looks much better (maybe the tamiya ones have a better fit, but the look is wrong).
//Mats

...I have two sets of the tamiya gun in my stash, but i looked at those and decided to build this one instead, because it looks much better (maybe the tamiya ones have a better fit, but the look is wrong)...
Hi Mats

Dead right there. There is A LOT of work that needs to be done to the Tamiya 6pdr to make it semi-correct, and it really doesn't fit nicely either. I have a Tamiya one that is partly built.. and I keep going back to it when I feel like I need to punish myself lol. Resicast make a beautiful example.. but at 75.00 euro, it's way more expensive than I can afford.

Cheers

Rob

A little scratchbuilding today, the hooks to hold the lower plate on the gun in transport was looking a little rough.... :bang head and i decided to make some new ones (old one marked with pink in the second pic, the new with yellow)
P1060809.JPG

P1060811.jpg

//Mats

Gun is primed and now is it Veerles tank that's waiting for paint :eek:hyeah
P1060816.JPG

P1060815.JPG

The muzzle cover made out of an old cleaning pad for my glasses, stronger and thinner than paper-tissue.
P1060817.JPG

//Mats

Those cleaning pads are what I used on the tilt for the 8ton halftrack, great stuff, I like the texture of it also. Looking good Mats. Good call on those hooks. :drinks

:popcorn

Thanks MP, never thought of them before, but i found a dry one in my car and i gave it a try, and i'm very happy with the result.
Will make a cover for the breach, and also one for the barrel as seen on the pic below.
6_pdr_tractor.jpg

//Mats

Looking good so far! Stay at it.

B)

The gun has got a layer of green paint.
P1060825.JPG

P1060826.JPG

the Quad is painted green and has a cover of hairspray.
P1060822.JPG

P1060823.JPG

Painted the dessert yellow and found out that i have a problem :bang head
P1060827.JPG

The gun doesn't fit, think it need something like this but for this gun, not sure there is one :hmmm
P1060828.JPG

The Cab has it's yellow color, now just wait to scrub off some paint.
P1060829.JPG

//Mats

Hi Mats

I'll take a look through my photos and see if I can find any that have pics of British trailers that would to the job between the Quad and the 6pdr, and post them on here for you if you like?

Cheers

Rob

Acrylic base, acrylic hairsrpay and acrylic overcoat, what are you going to use to scrub it with out taking off all layers?

That would be nice Rob :drinks
MP Water and a stiff brush goes fine, i took off alot of the yellow and applied another coat of hairspray, tomorrow a thin layer of yellow and then a gentle scrub :)
P1060830.JPG

P1060831.JPG

I went thru to the primer on some edges but i was using alot of elbow grease so the green paint sticks and is not falling off, as long as it's dry enough when you apply the hairspray.

Hi Mats

Sorry mate, but I'm having trouble delivering on what I offered to look for. There seems to be minimal pictures of wheeled vehicles towing 6pdr's as most are towed by tracked vehicles, and their pintle hooks are out on sticks away from the hull, or they are mounted on the back of a Portee, and to top it off, I could find none behind a Quad gun tractor :(

The only trailer I came across that might fit the bill for you is the British 10 cwt airborne trailer. It has a pintle hook at the rear of the trailer for towing artillery, but these may be a bit too late for your timeframe, and may be a bit low set for what you need, but worth a look. Below is a couple of links of some good reference material for this trailer:

http://horsa.bizland.com/OBLI/Trailer.htm
http://www.jeepdraw.com/Trailer_English.html

I hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Rob

Mats, I dont think there is an ammo trailer for the 6 pounder. At least I cant find any pics. Can you take the claw type pintle from the Bedford and use it on your Quad in place of the hook? Then attach the gun to that?
James

Wow that's some major paint damage!!

B)

Tried to paint over again yesterday but no it wasn't my day, so today.....
Vertrouw Roza, verget vlekken!!!
P1060840.JPG

Taking a bath :D
P1060841.JPG

P1060842.JPG

Vanish goes in 1 1/2 spoon to 5 liter water
P1060843.JPG

After a couple of minutes, the paint is falling off (y)
I will leave it for tonight and then rinse it off under the tap.
P1060844.JPG

First time i try this and it seems to be working good, let's just hope there is a quad left in the bucket tonight..... :hmmm :pinch: :idonno
//Mats

Well i didn't have to wait so long, checked now and the tamiya paint just fell off! :woohoo:
P1060845.JPG

P1060847.JPG

P1060848.JPG

The Vallejo primer stayed intact (y)

No i wasn't happy with the look of it, new try tomorrow :)

So the green is on again and now for the new hairspray (bought a refill bottle with just plain hairspray, no extra shine or something ).
P1060855.JPG

P1060856.JPG

And here the new hairspray, i hope it works better then the other one....
P1060857.JPG

http://youtu.be/9MoUs8ZlbK0

//Mats

Back