• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The VLS Corporation. The Early Years.

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
I found these old photos from the VLS years. I thought they might be of interest. The photos are in stages. The first ones are from 1983, when I started up the business until 1985, when I had to retire from the St. Louis police department and run it full time. We moved to our first industrial location at number #14 and number # 17 Cross Keys Center. I will begin with this post and continue in subsequent posts as I scan the photos. Of course, there will be some photos duplicated from my other posts of stories from the past.

From 1983 to 1988

This is the first of a series of VLS nostalgia, beginning way back in December, 1983. The first volume is from 1983 to around 1988. As I find and process the photos, I will be adding to all the volumes taking a pictorial journey from 1983 when it was started in my basement, to January, 2007, when it was sold to MMD/Squadron in Dallas,Texas. During my last visit to that company in July, 2015, I was surprised to see so much of VLS office furniture as well as shelving and production/warehouse equipment. Even the CEO's office was furnished with the same items from my old office ar VLS. It was very nostalgic for me. MMD/Squadron ceased to exist several months ago. A pity, both companies had long histories in the model industry. The original Squadron/MMD was created by Jerry Campbell. Jerry Campbell had a brilliant mind for business. He was from the beginning, my most dreaded competitor. He sold MMD to the same financial institution that a short time later would buy VLS.

Both Jerry and I were lifetime modelers. That certainly doesn't mean just because we were that all modelers can be good managers of model businesses. I do believe that good managers MUST have a knowledge of the model business in order to succeed. It is a truly unique business. Both subsequent managers appointed by the corporation in Florida were savvy, talented managers. Neither had a clue about the model business. Most good business managers are capable of running most types of businesses, but, the model business is so unique, it requires both good management skills as well as a serious knowledge of models and the model market. I always kept some modelers on staff at VLS, but I quickly learned to know which were advising me out of knowledge rather than emotions. One of my first was a guy that loved US Army jeeps. After he left, I had an overstock of Jeep kits for years. You must separate yourself from the modeler and the businessman and allow each to do his job independently. The modeler is not a good businessman and the businessman if not a good modeler.

Looking back, the story began almost 40 years ago. At that time, modeling, and especially diorama building was in it’s infancy. The vast array of products available today were only a dream. I remember that as if it was yesterday. I had been competing in shows throughout Europe and North America and, in Europe, I discovered so many product lines that had no International distribution. That led to my imagining a distributing/Importing company that would import all those exciting models and accessories to the American market.

This is one of the two fronts of the original VLS facility in St. Louis after moving the company out of my basement. I remember beaming with pride! :)

#14 was where we did production.

pastedGraphic.png

#17 was the sales office and a meager warehouse, two of the original employees were Wes Bradley and Don Wardlaw!

pastedGraphic_1.png

Back in those days, practically the only aftermarket products were vacu-form kits. Airmodel from Germany was the top seller! But, we carried 18 different vac-form lines, some were Formaplane, (From England), Schmidt, (From Germany), So many years ago, I can't remember most of the names. You had to be an advanced modeler with a ton of patience to build those very crude kits!

pastedGraphic.png

In those early days, Don Wardlaw was the sole member of our art dept. That is a young Bob Letterman beside him! (1985) and a young Don beside Bob! Don was a very tall and talented guy!

pastedGraphic_1.png

After a few months we added on another room and then, in 1986 we moved into a much larger area, number 25 cross keys center. It was about 7,000 square feet in size, about triple the space we had previously. In these photos, we were planning the remodeling! We had so many big dreams in those days! Here we are planning the layout of the sales floor. Back then, we had the sales floor and the products in close proximity as the sales people would take an order, then pull the products and take them to shipping at the rear of the facility.

pastedGraphic.png

Designing the production facilities.We produced a line of products originally named Parts Depot, later Techstar. They were some of the very first aftermarket accessory lines in the military miniature field. Later, after the merger with Verlinden productions, we also manufactured the plaster buildings as they were too fragile to ship from Europe.

pastedGraphic_1.png

I had met Lewis Pruneau at conventions and we became close friends and are still good friends to this day. He was in charge of production and VLS Creative Services back then as well as Verlinden Productions USA. This was Lewis being Lewis! Probably the single most creative guy I ever knew! An incredible diorama builder!

pastedGraphic_2.png

Then, there was the entire crew in 1984. From left to right. Lewis Pruneau, Bob Letterman, Wes Bradley, Tom Gerringer, Judy Baggett, Don Wardlaw and Jerry Schulte! Standing in front of a newly remodeled #25 Cross Keys Center we had just moved into. It was more than double the square footage of the two inconveniently separate locations prior. All of us are still around except Judy Baggett. She passed away in 2013. We had a reunion at our home in 2008 of the early employees. (Photos will be posted later).

pastedGraphic.png

In 1988, we moved VLS to an Office/warehoiuse complex in Westport Industrial park in Maryland Heights, Mo.

From 1988 to 1991

The first 5 + years VLS was operational. First, from our house, (1983-1985), Then we rented space in Cross Keys Center from 1985 through 1988. Then in August, 1988, We had been talking to our leasing agent, (A real estate company), about our lease payments and if they would rise when the lease was up September 1st. He assured us that wouldn’t happen, then around August 20th, We received a notice that our lease payments, upon renewal, would almost double. When I confronted my agent, he just smiled and said he had no control over that and besides, there is no way we now had time to move before the lease was up. In that last three years, we had grown within the center from our original 700 square feet to over 11,000 square feet. It was a huge task, he knew it, and thought there was no way we could accomplish such a massive move in that length of time. He was wrong! That entire facility was destroyed a few years later to build a strip mall.

We started immediately and within 24 hours, we had a new office/warehouse leased in western St. Louis county of 12,000 square feet for the same price as we had paid the previous three years at the original location. The next day, we shut down operations on a Friday, rented three large moving vans, and every employee began helping with the moving. We used the three trucks in rotation, we had two crews, one at each location. By Monday morning, we were totally moved and were operational. The agent met us at the old location and was amazed. It was immaculate and much nicer than when we moved in. He even had to return several thousands of dollars of security deposits.

Our new location was at 804 Fee Fee road in Westport industrial park. The name of the street was the only downside! :drool: This aerial shot was taken by an old police helicopter pilot buddy of mine. Then and even now, I still have a few friends in the department, most are retired and/or passed away today. The first building in the photo below was occupied by VLS except for one end unit as well as half the building immediately behind that served as our production unit! By then, we were being noticed by the business community in St. Louis as well as the press and several articles were produced in local newspapers and in TV interviews.

pastedGraphic_1.png

This was our new main entrance.

pastedGraphic_2.png

The Summer of 1988. At that time, a photo of our crew.

Back row. Left to right, Tony Eads, Steve Miller, Chuck Stuckenberg, Jeff Raines, Herb Rigg, John Vaughn, Wes Bradley and Wim Verlinden.
2nd row, Tom Gerringer, Bob and Susan Letterman, Francois Verlinden.
1st row, Sharon Miller, Rene Sullivan and Khamini Bhatt.

pastedGraphic.png

These shots of the warehouse were used for promotional advertising. About that time was the transition from when color was more expensive to when black & white became more expensive. At that time, most model magazines published in black and white.

pastedGraphic_1.png

pastedGraphic_2.png

pastedGraphic_3.png

pastedGraphic_4.png

pastedGraphic_5.png

To be continued in VLS, The Middle Years.

Attachments

• 1615823760537.png
    1615823760537.png
    319 KB · Views: 59
  • 1615823760451.png
    1615823760451.png
    352.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 1615823888879.png
    1615823888879.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 1615823889081.png
    1615823889081.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 1615823889187.png
    1615823889187.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 1615823889016.png
    1615823889016.png
    232.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 1615823889238.png
    1615823889238.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 1615823889137.png
    1615823889137.png
    259.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 1615823888950.png
    1615823888950.png
    225.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 1615823889284.png
    1615823889284.png
    294.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 1615824551089.png
    1615824551089.png
    259.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 1615824551441.png
    1615824551441.png
    205.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 1615824551165.png
    1615824551165.png
    238.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 1615824551315.png
    1615824551315.png
    325.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 1615824551378.png
    1615824551378.png
    397.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 1615824551239.png
    1615824551239.png
    365.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 1615824878001.png
    1615824878001.png
    245.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 1615824877844.png
    1615824877844.png
    308.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 1615824877930.png
    1615824877930.png
    299 KB · Views: 14
  • 1615825123328.png
    1615825123328.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 1615825123475.png
    1615825123475.png
    286.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 1615825123400.png
    1615825123400.png
    260.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1615825123239.png
    1615825123239.png
    436.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 1615825296000.png
    1615825296000.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thank for the look see into the past.

I remember a LOT of vacuum-formed kits such as AirModell, TondaVacs, Broplan, and so on.

Regards,

Thank for the look see into the past.

I remember a LOT of vacuum-formed kits such as AirModell, TondaVacs, Broplan, and so on.

Regards,
Hey Saul,

You and I go way back. I remember the first time you called. I had buffers between me and the salesmen. Necessary or I would have never got anything done. One of the operators came into my office and explained there was a guy named Saul on line 6 who wanted to talk to me. She said she didn't believe he was a salesman. I took you call and many thereafter. That seems like an eternity ago. I just pulled a few old VLS catalogues to refresh my memory. Here are some vacuform kit companies we carried back in the 80s. Falcon from Australia, Airmodel from Germany, Contrail from England, Ventura from Australia, Formaplane from England, Rareplanes from England, Xtravacs from England, Schmidt armor kits from Germany, Koster Aero Enterprises, from USA, Challenge Models from Italy. Flugmodell from Germany.

Then the very first photo-etch companies, Scale Link from England, Verlinden from Belgium, Murphy's Rules from USA, (Photo-etched brass scaling rulers), Model Technologies from USA, On The Mark models from USA, P.P. Aeroparts from England, Waldron Model products from USA. I believe John Piper, when is long gone now, was the first with photo-etch products in the military field. I went to my first Model Engineers exhibition in Wenbley outside London in 1981. John had a stand with built up models.They were so incredible, they blew me away. I had yet to finish my first Superdiorama and bought a lot of his kits, used them in it and was hooked thereafter. Scale Link was an incredibly large inventory of photo-etched model train accessories that I introduced to America in 1984. So much of it was adaptable to military miniatures if you knew how to translate the English RR scales to the Military scales we used back then, 1/35th, 1/48th and 1/72nd.

And, all the old figure kits, Belgo from Belgium, Amati figures from Italy, Andrea figures from Spain, Cheshire Volunteer figures from England, CIV Figures from USA, Dr. Flintstone figures from USA, Fatman Figures from USA, Fort Duquesne Figures from USA, Hobby Fan Figures from Japan, Hornet Figures from England, Jaguar Figures from USA, Mascot Figures from England, Model Cellar Figures from USA, Phoenix figures from England, Taxdir Figures from USA, 3D Figures from USA. Then there were all the elite historical metal figures of the time. VLS managed to exclusively import every one of those as well. After VP began creating resin products, it seemed every modeler and his brother tried to get into the game. So many came and went, some lasting only a month or two. It was those years I called the Golden age of modeling. It was an exciting time that took an established hobby and transitioned it into what it has became today. Most afterarket companies are no longer with us. I watched them come and go for many years. The injection plastic companies finally realized they were missing out and began producing all the wonderful aftermarket stuff in injection plastic we enjoy today. But, it was all those kitchen table entrepreneurs that transformed the entire industry during the 1980s, 90s and beyond! I'm proud to have been a part of all that!

It's amazing Bob, I have a number of those old names in my stash of stuff. Model Technologies, Rareplanes are a couple. I am sure that there are some more if I were to just go look.

In the 80's I was a member of Tulsa Scale Modelers Association and there was a guy that decided he wanted a 1/48th Japanese Dina. He made his own pattern for a Vac kit and actually built one up. I don't know if there were ever any kits sold, but I do remember his process of doing it and vaguely remember the finished build. Of course Verlinden was a hot topic, but I was just able to do the stuff I had at the time.

You and I go way back. I remember the first time you called. I had buffers between me and the salesmen. Necessary or I would have never got anything done. One of the operators came into my office and explained there was a guy named Saul on line 6 who wanted to talk to me. She said she didn't believe he was a salesman. I took you call and many thereafter. That seems like an eternity ago.
LOL, I am surprised she didn't tell you I sounded like a bookie trying collect! :D Sometimes my Brooklyn accent made people think I was one of the 'bent nose' crew.

Thanks for refreshing my mind on so many brands!

Regards,

LOL, I am surprised she didn't tell you I sounded like a bookie trying collect! :D Sometimes my Brooklyn accent made people think I was one of the 'bent nose' crew.

Regards,
Well that time you called and left a message for me, I thought a Sopranos character was coming for me. :rotf

Thanks for this Dad, always interesting looking back.

"Sic Parvis Magna." Sir Francis Drake. For my friends with smaller linguistic gifts, I shall translate:
Thus great things from small things (come).
That there is a blast from the past! How exciting those halcyon days of VLS must have been!
Thanks Sir!

It's amazing Bob, I have a number of those old names in my stash of stuff. Model Technologies, Rareplanes are a couple. I am sure that there are some more if I were to just go look.

In the 80's I was a member of Tulsa Scale Modelers Association and there was a guy that decided he wanted a 1/48th Japanese Dina. He made his own pattern for a Vac kit and actually built one up. I don't know if there were ever any kits sold, but I do remember his process of doing it and vaguely remember the finished build. Of course Verlinden was a hot topic, but I was just able to do the stuff I had at the time.
Thanks Paul,

Over the years, almost all of the manufacturers made their way to VLS in St. Louis at one time or another. I also managed to visit them as well. I can still see their faces today. The story of your guy reminds me of a Lewis Pruneau story. He was working at VLS at the time and he mentioned how cool it would be to build a 1/35th scale model of a B-52. I said something to the effect that the wing span would be taller them him. (Lewis is 6' 3" tall). We laughed. a year or so later, he had carved the fuselage from a 6' X 6' striped limber and taken it to a professional vac form company who created two halves of the fuselage. Then he built the wings and tail assembly. It was incredible. He also built a diorama around it. He later gave it to the Strategic Air Command museum in Omaha who still has it today. That was in 1987 I believe. The wing span was actually a bit wider than his 6'3" height. I have a photo somewhere of him with it standing on it's wing and Lewis holding the other wingtip with his arm raised above his head.

Lewis is an amazing guy. I have tried so many times to get him on the Internet. His daughter has done the same. No way. He's just an old fashioned guy. I have photos of many if not most of his dioramas. I've been thinking of putting a Pruneau thread on my forum.

BTW, I'm having major problems with my email provider. A tech is coming here on the 24th to fix it. I haven't got an email since the 6th of March in case somebody is wondering why I haven't answered!

Looks real doesn't it?

Lewis B-52 diorama.jpg

BTW, I found this old Photo of my wife Susan, Lillian Verlinden, Lewis Pruneau and Francois Verlinden, taken 37 years ago, 1984, in front of my house with my red Corvette in the driveway. Susan was a mere 40. I was and am five years older than everybody in this photo. I think we have all changed a bit. :oldguy:

I took the photo!

Lew?VP:Sus:1985.jpg

Bob

Last edited:

Regards,
I spent three years in France back in the 1950s and most of the guys in my army outfit were from Brooklyn, The Bronx and Yonkers, plus a few from Jersey. When I returned home to Missouri, everybody would look at me and ask, "Why are you talking that way. You sound like somebody from New York". I think it rubbed off! :bm: After that, I got so used to them, I hardly ever notice eastern accents since.

If I remember correctly, you put me onto several of those old product lines!

I remember oogling all the new accessories in the catalogs and at brick-and-mortar hobby shoppes!
You know John,

I still love to build models and always will. One thing I have noticed is I have lost that excitement I used to feel when walking into one of those really high end hobby shops that existed back in those days. There are a rare few these days here and there, but, somehow it just isn't the same.:( I still remember all those great ones when I was traveling all over the country.

"Sic Parvis Magna." Sir Francis Drake. For my friends with smaller linguistic gifts, I shall translate:
Thus great things from small things (come).
That there is a blast from the past! How exciting those halcyon days of VLS must have been!
Thanks Sir!
They were, especially the early days. After awhile, the company became so large, all the personal touches, the one on one atmosphere faded, not because I wanted it to, it just happened. The first 15 years, we rarely had anybody quit Then turn over increased rapidly as the number of employees ballooned. Then, after 9/11, many of the great shops closed and the Internet stepped in to fill the vacuum. We supplied the Internet shops as well as the brick and mortar. It was just never the same afterwards. When I started up VLS in 1983, there were more than 9000 hobby shops in America. When I sold VLS to MMD/Squadron in 2006, there were only 2000 brick and mortar shops left. The midsize city I live in today serves a metropolitan area of nearly a half million. The only hobby shop is a Hobbytown that is, in reality, a toy shop. A few kits and nothing else.

A strange thing. I ran one of the, if not THE largest hobby mail order houses in the world. (Although VLS' primary business was wholesale, selling to hobby shops, retailers and distributors). Personally, I never liked buying mail order. I still don't like to buy anything on the Internet as half the time I do, It isn't what I thought it was. I like to hold the product in my hands before I lay my bucks down on the counter. Yes, I'm old fashioned, my daughter tells me that all the time! She does almost all her shopping on the Internet!

If I remember correctly, you put me onto several of those old product lines!
Indeed, 'twas I. I hunted down small businesses and sampled their product. If it needed a larger audience, you were the first one I would call after finding out if the small business could scale comfortably. I never gave false hope, I told them the first order may be small to see reactions but, if your product takes off, make sure you have a plan as big business won't wait.

I still look for the start up companies but, with Social Media and YouTube, the small companies either succeed or fall prey to 'similar' products from a larger entity. One thing I know (mark my words) unless the material used for 3D printing changes drastically, a lot of those products will start deteriorating (becoming brittle and crumble) then modelers may return to traditional cast resin. ;)

Regards,

Indeed, 'twas I. I hunted down small businesses and sampled their product. If it needed a larger audience, you were the first one I would call after finding out if the small business could scale comfortably. I never gave false hope, I told them the first order may be small to see reactions but, if your product takes off, make sure you have a plan as big business won't wait.

I still look for the start up companies but, with Social Media and YouTube, the small companies either succeed ro fall prey to 'similar' products from a larger entity. One thing I know (mark my words) unless the material used for 3D printing changes drastically, a lot of those products will start deteriorating (becoming brittle and crumble) then modelers may return to traditional cast resin. ;)

Regards,
I appreciated that very much Saul,

Many of those startups would contact us, but some, didn't know how.

Which brings up another VLS thing. Backorders. Early on, we had to initiate a backorder system in our computer programming. We found literally hundreds and hundreds of small aftermarket companies that were producing fantastic products. We were amazed. In a very short period, VLS was the aftermarket king of the industry. Out of the total 30,000 products we carried, we literally carried more than 10,000 aftermarket products, most of which were manufactured in people's basements, garages and even kitchen tabletops. I used many of them myself in creating my dioramas during those 23 years we were in operation. Over the years, we literally sold close to a hundred million dollars worth of that stuff, In all 23 years, we actually sold just over $500 Million dollars worth of kits, accessories and everything else involved in the industry. No, I'm not rich. The model business profit margins were microscopic! Here's a shot of the east wing of the VLS warehouse in 2003. There were north and south wings making a U shape surrounding the office complex which was 7,500 square feet in size and included the production facility.

vlsint.jpg

Here is the final HQ. of VLS just before we moved in. It was 45,000 square feet with 30 foot ceilings. The construction guys putting up the company sign.

MVC-014L copy.JPG

Of all our flaws in those days, the number one soon became prevalent. Backorders. Nothing infuriated customers more than to make an order and only get half because we were out of stock. I tried so many times to explain the problem in our monthly newsletters, but, it was a double edged sword. If I named the suppliers that we could never get a full order filled, it would turn them against us. If I didn't, the customers just couldn't understand.

Here's a couple of examples: A company in England had some fantastic products and we sold them faster than they could keep up. I called them several times and asked why they couldn't fill our orders. One time, the wife of the owner told me, "Mr. Letterman, you are destroying our lives! We refuse to hire strangers because we value the quality of our products. (Join the Club). So, we have all our family members working day and night"! I remember another wife of a photo-etch company, Mrs. John Piper, the company Scale Link. Both husband and wife are deceased so I will use their names. We were placing 2 and 3 orders a month, it was selling like hotcakes. She called me and asked me why I was treating her so badly. She said since they began selling to VLS, all they did was work and it was never enough to please us.

I ran into that all the time, in every country. All those little manufacturers were so happy to have us take on their lines. But, usually they had day jobs and could only produce products during evenings and weekends. The ultimate case was an aftermarket company in one of the northern midwestern states. His name was Ken and apparently he is still in business. At any rate, he had some of the greatest products ever. I think he eventually came to hate me as I called him so many times about supply. So did Susan and our inventory managers. We would make a $5K order, wait 6 weeks and get a package with an invoice of $132.00. Of course, as soon as it was entered into the computer, it was gone instantly because of back orders. He had a full time job, his wife wouldn't allow him to work on Saturdays so he could only produce products on Sundays. It was so pathetic. It actually came to the point I would scream at them on the phone. The very first question I would ask a prospective supplier was: VLS is a high volume company. Can you supply us with no problem? The answer was always yes of course, but, they rarely could. Of course, a few products did not sell well at all and then we got calls about why we didn't order often enough. Try to answer that one without pissing them off!

That 23 years was a definite learning experience, I experienced things somebody never to run a company would never dream of.

Last edited:
I am sticking with he tried and true cast (polyurethane liquid plastic) resin. I would not claim to be an expert, but the resin I produce drills, sands and glues without much fuss. I do have paint adhesion troubles and I believe that is because I get excited about building something new I made. I don't wait long enough to wash and prime my dinky models. They should sit in the sunshine for 24-48 hours and then clean & prime. You can't rush the chemicals!!:facepalm:

Some 3D printed masters convey the same irritating texture to their molds and castings. The material takes ages to cure all the way, is not tooling friendly and hard as all Hell to sand. On the plus side, almost any 1/700 Seaplane I wish for is available, Shapeways prices are reasonable, their packaging is stellar and their service is almost pretty good.

As Saul points out, the technology and materials are sure to advance. This seems inevitable to me as well.

I am sticking with he tried and true cast (polyurethane liquid plastic) resin. I would not claim to be an expert, but the resin I produce drills, sands and glues without much fuss. I do have paint adhesion troubles and I believe that is because I get excited about building something new I made. I don't wait long enough to wash and prime my dinky models. They should sit in the sunshine for 24-48 hours and then clean & prime. You can't rush the chemicals!!:facepalm:

Some 3D printed masters convey the same irritating texture to their molds and castings. The material takes ages to cure all the way, is not tooling friendly and hard as all Hell to sand. On the plus side, almost any 1/700 Seaplane I wish for is available, Shapeways prices are reasonable, their packaging is stellar and their service is almost pretty good.

As Saul points out, the technology and materials are sure to advance. This seems inevitable to me as well.
I can't take the credit for it, but we used Polyurethane resin as well. Ours was a fast curing two part resin and had to be refrigerated until used. We kept them in A and B containers, (We bought resin and RTV rubber for molds in 55 gallon drums). So, we had a lot of refrigerators and freezers in the production unit. Verlinden was the very first to use resin for accessories and update sets in Polyurethane resin. His first kits were released in 1985. Then we had machines that mixed the two part resin in the tubes that fed the nozzles and went directly into the molds. Then the filled molds were put under pressure in a large steel container with metal clamps on the lid that were tightened air tight. Then, out of the pressure units and into the vacuum chambers to de-air. That process was also developed by Francois before VLS ever got into resin products. After we split from Verlinden Productions, I bought out Warriors in Los Angeles and Custom Dioramics in Manitoba Canada. and we went into production with those two brands plus another 15 brands as well. When I sold the company in 2006, we were producing more than 2000 resin products.

The quick set resin we used could be sanded easily, and drilled. It required either two part epoxy cement or Super glue to attach parts. It had an extremely fine finish as we didn't use any mold release products. The high quality RTV molds would last around a hundred castings before starting to deteriorate. Usually, a set of molds for a product would create an average of 25 castings in one run.

3D printing was a cutting edge process when I retired in 2006. At the time, I knew Terry Barrow, a fellow Missourian and MA member as well. His business was not model related, but he had one of the top machines for 3D printing I had seen at the time. When I visited him in 2007, he gave me a 1/72nd scale Sherman tank he had made from a cad cam program with his 3D printer. BTW, I still have it Terry!

One last thing.Dave Harper who introduced me to this website back in 2008 when it had another name, worked for VLS and had a part time model company he called hard Corps Models. Terry made 3D products on the side and sold them to Dave who retailed them on the Internet. Dave was a great guy and one of my best friends. Dave passed away of cancer in 2010.

LilSherm2.jpg

Last edited:
Back