• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Operational Horten Ho 229 now FINISHED.

matrixone

Here is the completed Revell 1/72 scale Ho 229, after many delays because of dodgy weather I was able to get out to the airfield and get some pictures.

The model was put into the only known unit that was assigned this aircraft...JG 400.

haa3f10e.JPG

h1d89b22.JPG

The Horten Ho 229 was painted in the standard colors of the day, RLM 81, RLM 82, for the upper surfaces and RLM 76 on the lower surfaces.
After reaching the front line this aircraft proved itself in combat and was a huge success but on the ground it was just another target for allied fighter/bombers so it was quite important to hide it while it was not in use and it was found that low flying aircraft could see the Ho 229 even when pushed into a tree line because of the light colored undersurfaces. This was a similar problem faced by the Fw 190 and the solution was to paint the front half of the undersurface of the wing and landing gear doors a darker color, it was common for the Ho 229 ground crew to add some darker paint to the undersurface to break up the shape of the aircraft to make it blend in with the camouflage netting or tree branches better, many aircraft also had some light colored mottling on the top to provide a bit of counter shading not unlike the ambush scheme used on German armor. The images below give an idea how the field applied mottling would aid in the camouflage of the Ho 229.
h2a07958.JPG

h8319fcd.JPG

h0f4191b.JPG

h38f2f30.JPG

More airfield images...
h742d15d.JPG

h3581f3f.JPG

h8b7f78b.JPG

h71c7dc4.JPG

Matrixone

Very nice looking build Les! (y)

I really like the vintage look photos and how well the plane blends into the treeline! :notworthy

Les your presentations are as great as your WIP on these birds. Thanks for sharing all of it :notworthy

That's pretty fricking sweet Les! I love the camo. I was going to do mine in a winter splinter scheme but you may have dissuaded me! Very nice! :drinks

Thanks to all who replied! :notworthy

Out of the trio of recent Luft'46 builds the Ho 229 is my least favorite so I showed the worst first...the Ju EF 128 and Me P.1101 are more interesting...in fact the Junkers was captured on film while in flight. B)

More Horten pictures.

h9136cb9.JPG

ha0bb2cd.JPG

h6d4bb79.JPG

Matrixone

Back