• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Great big Harrier abandoned

paddy

Airfix 1/24 Harrier GR3

Anyone who watches the BBC program “Top Gear” will know its filmed in the hangers at Dunsfold Airfield and their test track is in fact the old runway. What they may not know is its also the old Harrier factory. Several of my school friends went to Dunsfold as apprentices working on the Harrier production line in the mid 70,s when it was Hawker and later British aerospace ,Incidentally Dunsfold was built by the Canadians during WWII and was the home to a Mitchell squadron as well as Mustangs , Tomahawks , and Typhoons. Dunsfold closed when the RAF/royal navy retired the Harriers.

Anyway I digress, 20+ years ago I bought an Airfix 1/24 Harrier GR1/3 and promptly realised my mistake and filed it under “spare parts”

The fuselage looked rather like someone at Airfix had just developed a program on his new Windows 95 computer to add rivets to existing plans. The result was a fuselage that incorporated the complete works of Shakespeare…….in brail.

Fast forward 20 years and I saw an online build where the guy was filling each of the literally 1000’s of indents with a mix of super glue and baby talc. This got me thinking, what could I do to clean up that old kit in the cupboard now I have 20 years more experience. This becomes more relevant when you realise this model has recently been re-released by Airfix.

The Harrier is a surprisingly small aircraft, in 1/24 scale its 553mm long, A 1/32 Phantom F4 is 600mm long so this model is quite manageable but be warned, in most areas its very basic, I say most areas because for some reason it has a pretty well detailed engine. Basically its going to be a model that will reflect the amount of effort you put in with extra detail

Here is an example. The kit seat and the Martin Baker Mk9.

mk9-2.jpg
_DSC6039.JPG

Rather than do the usual multiple shots of sprues I will detail parts as I go along as above.

This is what I propose to do with the surface detail. I have rubbed the surface down lightly with (wet) wet and dry paper, 800 grit to take high points off. I then gave it 3 coats of automotive filler primer from a can, rubbed that back then gave it a coat of Tamiya fine grey primer.

Its not perfect but it’s a huge improvement, I will re-add and panel lines I think should be more prominent.

_DSC6032.JPG

_DSC6034.JPG

Not gone mad on the nose as it will be cut off soon anyway

_DSC6043.JPG

_DSC6046.JPG

And here it is back in Tamiya fine primer with the nose cut off for the GR3 version. ( the kit gives an option of GR1 or GR3 )
_DSC6049.JPG

Its not perfect, rivet counters will still run out of fingers but it acceptable to me. Its never going to be in a show or subject to scrutiny beyond Modelers alliance so although in some lights you can still see rivets, they dont look out of place (even if they are).

Last edited:
Its not perfect, rivet counters will still run out of fingers but it acceptable to me. Its never going to be in a show or subject to scrutiny beyond Modelers alliance so although in some lights you can still see rivets, they dont look out of place (even if they are).
If they are counting it on their models, let them! You do you. ;)

It is going to be big and (hopefully) fun. My last Airfix kit in this scale was their Fw-190 which I had to modify, screwed up and crashed. Most fun was converting the seated pilot to a crash survivor. I might have some printed photos to scan of that one! LOL.

Back in the early 80's I built the 1/24th Stuka under the MPC box logo. The decals were SO THICK that they just wouldn't even stick let alone snuggle down. They would just roll up. I finally just took the decals, made some stencils and airbrushed all the markings. Single action Badger. Worked fine and looked fairly decent. I still have it (broken up in a box took a big fall) I keep thinking I might rebuild it one day and add a bunch more detail. Wouldn't be all that hard at this point.

Didnt that have a snake down the length ? Desert camo ?
I have seen several built kits with the markings but don't recall seeing it on the box art (the Revell 32nd scale one did - as an example). Airfix boxes I recall:

1673523877089.png

1673523971285.png

1673524007779.png

I have seen several built kits with the markings but don't recall seeing it on the box art (the Revell 32nd scale one did - as an example). Airfix boxes I recall:

View attachment 156355
View attachment 156356
View attachment 156357
It wasn't any of those Paddy as it was an MPC reboxing of the sprues. It was a 2 tone green color, but the decals were absolute garbage. As it was built OOB, I did the scheme that was there. Of course at the time there wasn't any such thing as aftermarket parts let alone decals. I would have liked the tan/green scheme if it had been an option.

Take a seat, we are off :)

_DSC6039.JPG
_DSC6052.JPG

No point on going mad on the detail as only the top bit of the seat is seen

_DSC6054.JPG
The detail is not spot on correct but then none of the detail the box is spot on either. This is about making the basic kit look a bit more interesting rather than correct ;-)

Head rest sides: plastic card
Seat cushions: blue tac
Belts: painted lens cloth
Deals: Airscale placards

Not made them yet, probably cooking foil. Got to make the ejector seat pull handle as well.

Found some 1/32 buckles that work fine.
Interesting to see the resin seat that flightpath made for this kit years ago
they are ok if you dont want to faff about adding to the kit seat but notice it is a lot narrower because they put so much detail on the side of the seat it wouldn't have fitted in the tub between the side panels.

_DSC6060.JPG

I have been trying to make the cockpit look busy this week.
There is no cockpit side detail in the kit and things like the gun sight are bare minimum. They dont even give you a reflector glass !!

_DSC6063.JPG

_DSC6066_01.JPG

_DSC6061.JPG

cockpit sides as supplied

_DSC6055.JPG

Pit as supplied

I did check back and the first harriers did use a reflector sight in the 1960's so no HUD.
harriers are small. the cockpit is small consequently they are even more cluttered than normal with most bit apparently an after thought.
As i say i have tried to make it all look a bit busier than supplied and mocked it up to see how its looking.

_DSC6089.JPG

_DSC6090.JPG

_DSC6086.JPG

I am going to leave the cockpit now and finish it later, meanwhile i will look at the engine.

The engine has a mechanism to link all 4 exhaust nozzles. It doesnt take a genius to see this is not going to work :) Moving the centre shaft might well turn all 4 nozzles but once assembled moving a nozzel is never going to work back and turn the other 3......

_DSC6092.JPG

_DSC6096.JPG

Sorry to anyone following this but its beaten me . My hearts not in it.

_DSC6105.JPG

I could list 100 reasons like it’s so far removed from a Harrier its really just a large toy airplane that sort of looks like a Harrier. It requires extensive reworking to just about every part and is devoid of any detail and what detail there is …is not correct. An example. I have found the top of the engine is missing a lot of key components which have been left off in order for the engine to actually fit in the fuselage. That said the engine will never be seen again once the halves of the fuselage are joined. Ultimately the rivet detail kills this, it’s everywhere and totally incorrect, panels that would have been plain with maybe light riveting round the edge are plastered with row upon row of holes of 1mm rivets that scaled up would be 1” rivets that a battleship would be proud of 😊

Builds I have seen of this that look acceptable rely totally on the Flight path detail of Resin under carriage bays, airbrake bay, complete resin nose , cockpit and their 3 sheets of A4 brass PE….none of which is available anymore.

I will delete the thread in a day or two to free up web space

Sorry guys

_DSC6107.JPG

_DSC6108.JPG

i gave it my best shot

life-is-pain-gif-1.gif

Back