• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MiG 17 - Syrian AF. ** F I N I S H E D **

ij001

So this is my very first Campaign here on MA, and I've chosen something sort of straightforward:

Yes the kit is the J-5 but the J-5 is/was a license built MiG-15, and I'm using decals for a Soviet flown machine, albeit in NKPAF markings... So there's a lot of Russian Love in there !!. So as you can see it's a HobbyBoss 1:48 MiG-15/J-5 with a Pavla resin seat (beautiful), and H-Model decals. Not going to be adding anything else except glue, filler (possibly) and paint.

Hope this is all OK ??

More soon.

Ian

(Identity Crisis) MiG 17

So nobody including me caught my 'deliberate mistake' ??? - No ???

It's a M i G 1 7 not a MiG 15 :facepalm , Sometimes my own stupidity even surprises me !!. So I bought the decals for no reason, not to worry, one day I'll buy another Tamiya MiG 15 and use them. In the meantime, I'm hoping my M i G 1 7 will end-up looking something like this.

Managed to get some work done last night in amongst the chaos. Will post a pic or two later.

Ian

(Identity Crisis) MiG 17

So nobody including me caught my 'deliberate mistake' ??? - No ???

Sorry, I didn't catch this thread until now. Aside from the decals, the seat would be different as well.

I believe I have spare decals and can snip a scheme or two and send in an envelope. You only fancy the Mid-East one?

Regards,

(Identity Crisis) MiG 17

I thought it was part of the identity crisis....

Na I didn't notice either. Surely not a Mig expert. Saying that...:nopics

(Identity Crisis) MiG 17

...:nopics

Such a bully :v

I already had a Pavla resin seat from a previous Hobbyboss MiG 17 that didn't survive the house-move. Luckily I knew exactly which box the wreckage was in so I grabbed it, touched-up the paintwork and dropped it into place.

Last night I got the fuselage buttoned-up. Lots of PSR needed but I'll post more pics (You hear that Young Lunar Dog ??), after the weekend. Thanks for looking and/or commenting. More soon.

AFN

Ian

(Identity Crisis) MiG 17

Some progress:

Just in case you didn't quite catch it....

....it does need a wee bit of filler here and there :hmmm

AFN

Ian

(Identity Crisis) MiG 17

Much progress over the last two or three days:

Undercoated the whole thing in Tamiya Buff acrylic, then pre-shaded in black, Panzer Grey and white. I always hate this part as it always looks so messy !!

I hate mess :gogo

Ian

ps
stay tuned more in a minute - got to put the kids to bed

(Identity Crisis) MiG 17

ps
Stay tuned, more in a minute - got to put the kids to bed

Back again:

Starting at front/left - Tamiya Desert Yellow, lightened with a little Sky Grey, and Red Brown straight from the jar. Close-up shows the pre-shading 'bleeding thru' just as intended.

Rear/right - meant to keep the camouflage pattern very simple, but that 'hook' just aft of the wing-root looks really 'Russian' if you know what I mean... It's a 'keeper' IMHO ;). Again the pre-shading has worked 'as advertised'.

Undersides look a lot rougher. Pre-shading stands-out even more, again as intended. Won't be doing too much more on the keel other than some oil leaks and cordite stains. This is Tamiya 'Light Blue', in my opinion a shoe-in for RLM79, and nowhere near RLM65 as it was intended !!

I'll pick-out some panels and access hatches at random all over the airframe, but especially on the topsides and lighten them with some post-shading then finish with a weak oil panel wash. Always keen to hear what you guys think of my efforts, so please let me know on this one... I really want to go for the whole 'sun bleached paintwork' effect and any pointers/suggestions are more than welcome.

AFN

Ian

(Identity Crisis) MiG 17

Fine job Ian! I've never been able to do a post shade, like how you handled this with the different colors and all. (y)

MiG 17 - Syrian AF 'Yom Kippur War 1973'

Decals on...

...As ever, thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. Next, panel wash - stay tuned :dude

Ian

Beautiful Ian (y) (y) (y)
I got some Mig 15s so I could do some neat schemes, but it looks like the Mig 17 was more common. How much difference was there between them? One couldnt convert a 15 to a 17 could they.
James

How much difference was there between them? One couldnt convert a 15 to a 17 could they.

James

Entirely different aircraft, James. AFAIK, there is NO COMMONALITY between them except basic layout. If you want to build a 1:48 'Fresco' yesterday I found, quite by chance, an Airfix re-box of the old SMER kit. Not bad at all and it has the extra pieces in to do the Egyptian ground-attack version with the extra bomb racks and rocket trees.

If you want it, you can have it for gratis....

Ian

Thanks Ian, but no. After a backtrack into 1/48 I realize it is too small. Kind of figured there was no chance, but doesnt hurt to ask. I guess I'll have to pop for the Trumpeter kit at some time.
James

Back