• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Me-109 Night Fighter

So many 109's being built around here just now. Good work going in to this one. I knew there were 109E nightfighters but didn't know anything about any modifications made. It'll be a sad day when I don't learn something new in this hobby !!

Ian

Finally some progress made! (y) Had to take a break on this for a bit. I added the front and rear windscreens and was using Bare Metal Foil for masking, but was not happy with the result, the last straw being popping the rear windscreen off. Ordered a set of Eduard masks, went to apply those and discovered that I had ordered the wrong ones :vmad Waited for the modeling budget to catch up, and ordered the correct set. Went to apply those, and the front windscreen came loose :vmad Thought I would fix that and hit it with some regular cement, yeah, got part of the canopy as well :vmad :vmad :vmad :vmad Polished that out, re-attached the canopy and got it masked. Masking the rear windscreen, yep...popped off agin :vmad :vmad :vmad Re-attached and masked :fencing It was a fight, but I got it in the end. All was not lost though with the wrong canopy mask....as I plan to have the canopy open, in a stroke of genius (for me anyway) :D I used the canopy masks from the wrong set to mask the inside of the canopy so when it is laying open, the frames will be painted on the inside as well (y) .

Pre-shaded with Tamyia semi-gloss black.

I used Vallajo for the overall color, but it was not my day to spray Vallejo, and was not happy with the result, so after a little back and forth with Tamyia gloss and semi-gloss black, and a darkened mix of German Grey, I got to a point where I was happy enough to leave it alone :good: After a coat of gloss, the decals started going on (y)

The Owl Decals are very nice, but react quickly to decal solutions as I learned on the first cross I applied. I have since just been using water to position them, letting them settle a bit and then applying the Micro Scale setting solutions, and they are working out very well. So, hopefully this will move along rather quickly now as there are not a lot of decals on this one!
Ernie

Well guys, I ran out of parts, so I guess that means this is finished :dance Not everything I had hoped for, but turned out okay I guess.

The lighting in the pictures is not great, it is hard to pick up the various tones in the black, or the pigments on the wheels and wing roots. But hey, it's done! I ended up breaking one of the wing guns when I was drilling it out, so had to turn a new one from a piece of Evergreen rod chucked in my Dremel tool. The radio aerial is made with EZ Line, and worked great.
Ernie

Very nicely done, Ernie. Not the easiest scheme to 'pull-off' but I think you've done a great job, sir.

:good:

Ian

I think it turned out great (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
That black looks perfect and I like the chipping at the wing root. Well done.
James

Thank you guys for the kind words :drinks . I am just glad to finally get this one finished, as usual what should have been a fairly simple build dragged on and on it seemed. But anyway, I can now look forward to the next build, as soon as I figure out what it is :idonno
Ernie

Well done . Special build :good:

I'm still Leary of black paint jobs. Maybe I'll be brave enough this year .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back