• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MacRobertson Air Race Line up

As far as I know this is a whole american aircraft from the Granville Brothers (thus Gee Bee) in MA. There were quite a few Italian designs in the 30's with the cockpit blending on the rudder but I thinks this is an all American aircraft.

Caproni Ca-125
1710754674206.png

Breda Ba.33

1710754738393.png

Caproni "STIPA"
1710754831327.png

Looks great BTW Bob!

Cheers

Alex

Was the Gee Bee originally Italian? Dr. Alex, your thoughts?
How much weathering would a shiny brand new airplane need? :bm:
As always, it's your model. Do what makes you most happy!
I see where ya going with that, looked a bit like the Italian camo but keep this in mind, this is an alternative to preshading.
That's what I told Eric, weathering will be at a minimal because these were brand new aircraft, in the case of the Gee Bee, likely shipped over and assembled on site.

Over all I say effect looks good and with the marbling undercoat add just hint of visual interest.

I would rate this as .... Mission Success.

With a pinwash and a wee bit of weathering this will look great!
:good:

Now I got it. I am a bit slow, not enough brain power left on the hard drive... I don't think that the camo looks Italian at all, in the 30's Italians were either using the Ivory White (bianco avorio) or a very light blue on all their planes. The mottled and squiggly camos started only in the late 30's with the increase of military aircraft in the Regia Aeronautica and the spanish civil war, hence I think this Bee Gee scheme is not Italian based.

Cheers

Alex

You guys remember the first Comet I did, The race winner G-ACSS was repainted from is original red Grosvenors House scheme to this grey and blue scheme and it did a tour of Australia.

1710805885073.png

Did a scrubbing of some volatile clear liquids and got her back to resin.
1710805723007.png

So yeah, we're going to have the full race lineup from the de Havilland company represented. Had to pop off the canopy and give it a sanding and Alclad Aqua Clear gloss treatment.

Last edited:
1710849267814.png

I know this is getting old, just found some more photos.

1710849841586.png

Last edited:
I said the next photo would have color.
1711238469214.png

Sky grey is a color. I started spraying some yellow on "The Green One" and quickly found out that Humbrol yellow does not lay down well on black, I'm trying to add some hues of yellow and red for the "The Green One". I know these aircraft were brand new so I want to keep wear to a minimal but I do want to see some variation in the base colors.

Having some issue with the primer on Grosvenor's House, I bumped it and had a finger print then when I sanded that out and primed again I had a slight step or line where I sanded. Letting the primer cure and try to sand it out once again. You'd think I could get pass this part already.

While I had a great vision of race day, I've slipped down the rabbit hole trying something new. What's this going to look like when finished? Who knows, hell I can always strip them down and start over right?

This one will be the black one, using sky grey more.
1711412145206.png

Lots of doodling.
1711412165662.png

And even more.
1711412181042.png

These may not be the right subjects for this technique, or even the right scale. Like I said elsewhere I can really see this on one of the mottled OD subjects, I think we've all seen that color photo of the P61 in OD
1711412399163.png

And oh...the green one?

1711412431550.png

Looks like some graffiti box car doesn't it. Will see what several layers of British Racing Green does to this.

Last edited:
I think keep the layers thin, almost transparent and build up just to the point where you start to notice you can’t see the marbling, so you don’t lose all of that beautiful work. JM2C

i wondered why the Comet was called Grosvenor house ?
Turns out the Comet was owned by the manager of the Grosvenor house hotel in London ( Arthur Edwards) but he was an employee not a member of the Grosvenor family. Three Comets were built especially for the race at £5000 each, two more were built after the race. Grosvenor ended up in RAF livery so there's your next project Bob :)

I think keep the layers thin, almost transparent and build up just to the point where you start to notice you can’t see the marbling, so you don’t lose all of that beautiful work. JM2C
Exactly, a thin mist will blend the black. Like I said I can see this working better on a much larger scale.

I snuck out to the shed for lunch and put down a mist of black gloss Tamiya
1711477703189.png

1711477717954.png

I like it, hard to see, you're seeing more of a variation in the sheen here. Top this off with a gloss coat I think it's going to be ok. Got to clean up that spot under the canopy though. looks ugly there.

i wondered why the Comet was called Grosvenor house ?
And Black Magic was flown by it's owner so he didn't have a or need a sponsor. Lease where I can find.

G-ACSR "The Green One" does not appear to have a sponsor either. The owner Bernard Rubin (One of the Bentley race team members) intended to fly her but he was ill and Owen Cathcart Jones (First RN pilot to land on an aircraft carrier at night) flew her. The Wiki page for Rubin states his Comet was "Bentley Green", I'm sure that's very close to if not the same as BRG.

On another note I'm reading, all 3 were polished out to a very high gloss finish for aerodynamics.

Sanding down the orange peel.
So the idea that woke me out of sleep was to cut a slot instead of drilling a hole in the leading edge of the control surfaces.

1711588082878.png

that's a .2 mm nickel rod and I can build up a dab of CA for the nobby thing. Of course it's not going to stick out that far.

Back