• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MacRobertson Air Race Line up

I'm not going to clog up things with more pictures. I had to strip the wings back to the wing roots, it was a good demark point, in sanding and cleaning up I had to strip some and that left steps in the layers that would be too pronounced once I got a finish on it.

The slot instead of a drilled hole is going to work. I just got to get the CA to bead up, need some accelerant. I thought Acetone worked as an accelerant but nope. Any other house hold items work? If not I'll hit the hobby lobby tomorrow.

Totally unrelated to your builds, which look great Bob 👍 I have a friend who gave me several of his kits. One is a vintage RC 1/4 scale "Buster" midget racer. It raced from 1931 to 1954. The real one hangs at the the Smithsonian. I've been threatening to build it.
Screenshot_20240328_205013_Chrome.jpg

I do like building these racers. I keep coming up with ideas to make them better. I found some drawings of the comet and saw there is a fuel tank behind the cockpit. There's a photo of one of the comets with that port open. The kit did not have a filler port there, I've added one to each.

Git'er done Tim, that'll be a fine build.

Thanks Paul, guess I had it backwards.

Totally unrelated to your builds, which look great Bob 👍 I have a friend who gave me several of his kits. One is a vintage RC 1/4 scale "Buster" midget racer. It raced from 1931 to 1954. The real one hangs at the the Smithsonian. I've been threatening to build it. View attachment 167901
I wonder if the Cassutt CJS has it's roots there. My Dad built one in our Garage and flew it off in 1971 as N2CP.

I've really been over thinking this. I tried to make the counter balances all sorts of ways. Finally hit me, just pin it and paint it with Mr Desolved Putty.
1711759540554.png

1711759553153.png

If it's over stated at the point in time I paint I'll just knock off the putty and paint it again.

Depending on the paint you are using, you can take some thinner and do a wet mist over the paint and it will smooth out the orange peel and other paint flaws, except for crud and dust.
I have done that with my Alclad gloss black by spraying it with a wet mist of Mr. Retarder. It has given me a glass smooth finish with almost no effort. I also did it with the Testors French Blue on the Bugatti racer last year and got the nice smooth gloss finish there as well.

I am getting the urge to build a Comet now....blast, its all your fault Bob :)
I know, these aircraft are so graceful looking. I wish SBS had more, they told me a while back that the molds were damaged and their will be no more. Wouldn't it be awesome if Airfix came out with a 1:32!

I know, these aircraft are so graceful looking. I wish SBS had more, they told me a while back that the molds were damaged and their will be no more. Wouldn't it be awesome if Airfix came out with a 1:32!
Someone should!

That would be an awesome build in 32 scale

Woof!
Hey Bob, did you know about this company??

Looks like it would be a nice kit, might have to re-mortgage the house though!

I'd better be committed for that price. I've spent that much on a kit before but didn't finish it. Paul has that one now.

I found a build thread of that kit but damn photobucket! (I told y'all photobucket sucks!)

Interesting, they use decals for canopy frame.

Thanks Warren. Maybe after tax season.

Last edited:
I looked up that link Warren. The cheaper one is $283.30 and I won't bother with the $400 one. I didn't know that they were used by the French as well, though this kit is in the scale I like building, 1:32. Looks like it builds up into a decent model.
1;32 scale DH 88 Comet kit

I didn't know that they were used by the French as well,
The French bought two to test air mail. F-ANPY and F-ANPZ did some airmail between Paris and N Africa. I think they both are lost, read that one was last seen in a barn before WW2 but has not been seen since. the other was destroyed in hanger fire in 1940.

There were only 5 built.

I have decided to go up and see Grosvenor flying in the Summer, its only about 50 miles to The Shuttleworth collection from me so if we get some good weather i can take some decent pictures. They have an air show once a month but often they are called sunset shows and run from about 5pm to 9pm so not sure about the light for pics.
The other thing is wind, non of their aircraft like wind especially the pre WWI stuff.

I have some pictures of Shuttleworth i could post if anyone is interested but might take up some band width, you could always delete them later ?

The one paul mentioned doesnt look bad with engines etc

Better price

Might need some work :) if this doesnt put you off you area brave man :)

Last edited:
I have some pictures of Shuttleworth i could post if anyone is interested but might take up some band width, you could always delete them later ?
I could delete some 12 year old photos that have zero views over what you post Paddy. Post away!

Back to coloring
1711842900068.png

And I broke out the Red.
1711842926271.png

Gloss coat will make it shiny, that's how I handled Black Magic last time. I'll have her painted tomorrow. Wanted to give the Humbrol BRG or Bentley Green time to cure

Back