• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MacRobertson Air Race Line up

No new builds till the Stuka is done. It has come quite a ways since I restarted it, but I am taking a little break and doing something completely different the last week or so.

Need some help with some none military colors.
The Green DH88 was British Racing Green and the Gee Bee was Lucky Strike Green, Lucky Strike was the sponsor. funny they didn't have their logo all over it but maybe that was a race rule.
Any suggestions on who makes good colors for these?
@paddy being our resident all things British expert. You got anything?

I will have a look Bob but from my experience British racing green was a variety of greens. depending on the era. I found this out when i built my Airfix Bently which was of course BRG but quite a dark version, a classic BRG to me was that used by the Mini Coopers in the 1960's
A good example of what isnt BRG is the modern versions used by Aston Martin on their race cars. I'm quite sure your DH88 wasn't metallic :)
I would guess your DH would be Bently era so i would go with something like Tamiyas TS9 which is what i used and looked pretty good to me.

_3782461_orig.jpg

Its actually quite dark so it give black reflections which make it seem even darker

1705594831707.png

1705594773133.png

Couple of images, I remember reading years ago Lucky Strike stopped using the green ink for the war. I guess pigments were rationed also.

Guess it's a bit like OD, it's subjective. I'm going to get BRG and see what I need to do to make Lucky Strike green different.

Well i suppose Tamiya X5 would work but you would need a semi gloss top coat, i doubt that gloss would work well with 1/48 TBH Things just were not that shiny in those days

Well got totally frustrated with the CCKW thing, glue didn't like to stick to it without a lot of coxing.

So I figure move on to where I really want to be.

1705798963826.png

Here's the GeeBee, cleaned up the pour stubs and a quick dry fit.
1705799072546.png

Crazy ain't it? I'm going to spend more time painting than assembly. Some putty will be needed on the bottom, my ham fist sawed off too much and I might need some around the wing root but not sure yet. Kinda thinking about dropping the elevator but I don't want to go all crazy with :sawall

Might get going on the DH tomorrow.

Cleaned up the major parts of the Comet
1705968500657.png

Once again superb fit after a little clean up of the parts.

1705968716570.png
I had a little mishap with the engine nacelle rear flaring so I taped off the top to get a good flat surface. Poured some Dr Mike (now defunct apparently) Lightening filler and some CA. Will let that cure over night and get it shaped up asap.

Back