• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MacRobertson Air Race Line up

I know this is kinda getting repetitive.

1710030991405.png

I'm happy with the tops of the Comets, got some rescribing on the bottom. The seam on the Gee Bee just won't go away, I may just go ahead and rescribe it and put some rivets on it. Who's gonna call me out?

Yes that's a penlight! :rotf

Damn it
I put the seam back on the spine of the nose. In all the sand fill and repeat I took smoothed off the surface, not sure why the surface has texture but I put it back with some Mr. Surfacer 1000. I put the gas filler port offset, dare someone to say it's wrong!
1710098527497.png

Filler caps on the Comets, I've rescribed as much as I dare on all of them, i'm going to give it another good coat of Alclad Black primer and sand smooth the comets. I've been holding off the tail planes of the comets because I want to try and figure out how to do the counter balances on the control surfaces. These things are soo thin it's hard to drill in wire. May not do it at all. Will see, might have some color squirting this afternoon on the Gee Bee.
Now what is Lucky Strike Green?

Wasn't Paddy's Bentley blower "Lucky Strike" green?
@paddy I think it was British Racing Green. I have that in Humbrol.

This is Tamiya X5 over that black primer.
1710113120009.png

And you can see I got the rudders on the Comets. Tail skid is on the Gee Bee, I pinned it with some brass rod to make it a bit more stout. I'm going to let that cure up before flippin' her over and coating the underside. Glad I did it over the black base because a light color would have been hard to get coverage on.

No it's not easy, all you folks who take color matching for granted. Would I add a bit of yellow to highlight? I can't go with this monotone finish.

So hard to see colours on a screen. I could post a picture of the Bentley but it wouldn't tell you much, its not just screens, 2 people might see a different colour on the same screen. I dont think BRG has an official format, as it changes over the years. I have even seen modern Jags in the 24 hour lemans with metallic BRG.

I tried to adjust the colors on that photo so it shows better, that shop towel is a pale blue. I will change the tone a bit.

What's been troubling me lately is thinking of how to strip the old one to make it the Red one.

These are looking good to me. Adding yellow should help with the highlight color. Now its just me but that green does look a little too dark.
:plane

I saw Mr. T (Terry Barrow) at the KC show this weekend. Our IPMS Club joke is "Is that really the appropriate green?" Terry usually uses my own joke against me, even though none of my entrants had a speck of green paint on them.
I'm no expert, but I like your Gee Bee's green. :good:

Discussing the racers on our road trip yesterday I said I felt like the colors were boring. @errains said the Gee Bee looks like a toy. I get it, there's not much there.
He started talking about this Black Basing technique.

As he described it I remembered I tried to do a Sabre years ago using kinda sorta the same technique but without the black base. It didn't turn out well. I've read a couple of articles and these videos and figure what the hey.

To answer my own question I kept asking Eric. why use red as a color for a green effect. Well Red is a complementary color of green. I don't know what that means but that's what the color chart said.

1710726203256.png

Here's the Gee Bee with some read marbling, the green came later. The red was a flat so remembering the mistake I made on the Sabre, it was various finishes, I did a clear gloss then did the mist of green.
the tones are very subtle now.
1710726523409.png

I don't want it to be too stark because these aircraft are brand new. It's hard to see in these photos. Eric suggested some grey for shading around the edges. I wasn't brave enough to do that.

This color is so dark it's hard to see it in photos. Instead of using these colors I might need to use lighter tints?

Was the Gee Bee originally Italian? Dr. Alex, your thoughts?
How much weathering would a shiny brand new airplane need? :bm:
As always, it's your model. Do what makes you most happy!

Back