• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M577 belonging to 2-112 AR in 2003

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
Hello All,

It seems like I am a late entry, but I was trying to get my "Breakfast in the Boonies" diorama completed and then went through the process of retiring from the Army, so I wasn't able to start on this until recently.

On Veteran's Day, I decided that I wanted to build the M577 we had for the S-3 shop when I was a member of 2d Battalion 112th Armor. Although it is an Armored Command Post, the vehicle had originally been a M113 that later received the M577 modification to it. It even had the older engine exhaust pipe instead of the more current type.

So here it is at the beginning of the build. I am building it pretty much out of the box. The only things I have done to the original kit is drill out the engine exhaust, the heater exhaust, the holes in the box surrounding the generator, and the front antenna mounts.

I have since started painting the vehicle in the summer MERDC pattern after priming it with flat black. I will post those photos later.

100_4283.JPG

100_4284.JPG

100_4285.JPG

100_4288.JPG

100_4290.JPG

100_4291.JPG

Cheers,
James

Here is some progress being made. I did this a few days ago but just got around to taking photos of it. Here are the first three colors of the MERDC pattern that adorned our S3 M577. At shows, in magazines, and on the internet I have seen models that people have made and painted in the MERDC pattern with an airbrush. They have looked really nice. Our M577 looked like the pattern was painted by hand so that is the look I am going with my model of it. In fact, most of the vehicles I have come across in real life that have been painted MERDC variations have all looked like they were painted by hand with the exception of one M60 variant.

Hopefully in the next couple of days I will paint the black portions of the camo pattern, the pioneer tools, and the poles for the tent. Then I will put on the markings and weather the model.

100_4305.JPG

100_4306.JPG

100_4307.JPG

100_4308.JPG

100_4309.JPG

Cheers,
James

Here are a few photos of my progress so far. I completed the Summer MERDC pattern, painted the base coats on the pioneer tools and the tent poles, painted the silver undercoat for the periscopes (I need to now paint round them to block them in for the second color and to get rid of the spots where the silver color got outside the lines), and the first spraying of dullcote. Next I will do the bumper markings, finish painting the pioneer tools and paint the straps, apply another coat of dullcote, start weathering, apply another coat of dullcote, and then add the horse head raring up that I had to paint on all of the battalion's vehicles.

100_4329.JPG

100_4330.JPG

100_4331.JPG

100_4332.JPG

100_4333.JPG

100_4334.JPG

100_4335.JPG

Cheers,
James

Thanks, Guys.

Here are a few photos of the unit markings and the horse heads that I had to paint on all of the battalion's vehicles. The Horse heads came from an old Verlinden Dry Transfer sheet. The unit markings are from Woodland Scenics dry transfers.

100_4355.JPG

100_4356.JPG

100_4358.JPG

100_4359.JPG

Cheers,
James

Back