• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The Rolling Stock Completed April 18th, 2020

I think we need to start creating better adjectives to describe your work Bob- the ones we have seem quite insufficient. If there was a word to combine sublime, inspiring, awesome, and outstanding all together, that's what I would use here.

I think we need to start creating better adjectives to describe your worn Bob- the ones we have seem quite insufficient. If there was a word to combine sublime, inspiring, awesome, and outstanding all together, that's what I would use here.

LETTERMANESQUE

I think we need to start creating better adjectives to describe your worn Bob- the ones we have seem quite insufficient. If there was a word to combine sublime, inspiring, awesome, and outstanding all together, that's what I would use here.

LETTERMANESQUE

That fits for me as well. I have no other words as this is too overwhelming in quality for me to formulate something. Every time I try, I just can't form words...

I've began to weather the K5 E Railway gun. I base coated it five years ago, so the finish is about as hard as it is gonna get! Iron Mike, (Mike Trent), had built a Panzer 3 in dunkelgelb and I liked the finish a lot! So, I asked him what colors he used to weather it. He gave them to me and so I'm using them plus a few more. I still weather with old school methods because,...... well, I'm old school! :)

I started with the two trucks, front and rear, on which the massive gun is carried from place to place pulled by a locomotive or one of the small diesels the Germans used for lighter jobs. I began with my old raw umber artists oil and rectified turpentine wash. It is a process, especially on a yellow base coat, in which you have to close your eyes, grit your teeth and just do it. It never ceases to put the fear of God in you. It goes on and looks just terrible. But, have faith and pull up all the patience you can manage and here we go.

Then I place on a coated sheet of cardboard, (If not coated, the liquid will soak into the cardboard and dry very quickly), . a strip of the paint about an inch long and then, using a wide filbert brush, (a number 8 or 10, I mix it on the cardboard pallet thoroughly until it is the consistency of whole milk. Then, using that brush, paint it on an area about 2 inches square, more or less, at a time. That's the scary part. It will look like you just painted it an ugly brown color that is not even translucent.

8.JPG

Here it is a bit closer.

88JPG.JPG

Then, using a clean T-shirt, I begin blotting, (Not rubbing), the raw umber mixture until it only remains in the recesses. The raised parts will be a bit darker yellow, but, after a few hours, it will lighten as well as flatten out, leaving a much more pleasing contrast between the raised and recessed areas.

Here I have done three of the wheels and housings. As I said, looks scary, doesn't it? :)

0.JPG

Here I have washed and finished the entire rear half of the truck. I get all I can using my finger underneath the cloth, changing places frequently, as I blot, then after It is mostly blotted so there is a thin coat of the raw umber mixture left, I use a Q-tip under the cloth to get at the more recessed areas. Using it alone will leave unwanted lint.

But, after the T-shirt is finished with it, it doesn't look so bad, and, it will look even better left overnight to fry.

888.JPG

Another view.

99.JPG

Then, I finished the entire truck.

0000.JPG

The other side.

88888888.JPG

Compared to the unwashed truck. You can see the washed one is several shades darker. That's the object!

99999.JPG

Another view.

8888888.JPG

Tomorrow, I'll begin some dry brushing, and post as I move along. Then pastels, chipping and rusting. This vehicle sat in the weather under the bombed out Train shed for months so it would have extensive rusting.

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

Last edited:
Well Dad you fell right into the new website and already posting. Fitting that you should have the first post on the new site. :cool:

Looking swell!

Thanks MP!

I am curious about a couple of things. When I post photos from my computer onto the website by clicking on the Attach files button, lower left, does it put them in the gallery automatically? Or does my computer host the images seen on modeleralliance.org? Before creating the blog, I had put them in the gallery. Was that necessary anymore?

Dad

Thanks MP!

I am curious about a couple of things. When I post photos from my computer onto the website by clicking on the Attach files button, lower left, does it put them in the gallery automatically?
No,you're attaching them into the forum. Nothing wrong with that, should be easier for you.
Or does my computer host the images seen on modeleralliance.org? Before creating the blog, I had put them in the gallery. Was that necessary anymore?

Dad

The files are copied to our server from your computer. Not hosted from your computer.
No it's not necessary to upload to the gallery, our gallery is now call "Media", I haven't worked with it yet and would not use it at this time till we can figure out if it works with the forum. Looks like it has it's on commenting system separate from the forum.

Those look great Bob! I looked in last night right after you posted. As the photos were tiny I managed to go lurk around until I found where they were and downloaded the full size ones. I noticed that there were a number of photos in that directory including the last that I posted with my MMM2020 build. It will take some getting used to I am sure.

Those look great Bob! I looked in last night right after you posted. As the photos were tiny I managed to go lurk around until I found where they were and downloaded the full size ones. I noticed that there were a number of photos in that directory including the last that I posted with my MMM2020 build. It will take some getting used to I am sure.

Thanks Paul,

It always takes me some time to get comfortable with something new, especially with computers. If I can't figure something out, I just ask the nearest five year old!

Bob

Back