• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The Rolling Stock Completed April 18th, 2020

Logistics, The Rolling Stock Update April 22, 2018

Fine looking engine and great details. Will sit fine in the dio. :notworthy (y)
Cheers
John

B) :notworthy :coolio

Well you 'nailed' that finish Bob!
:good: :drool
The multi - layered weathering is perfect - nothing like a little experimentation to drive inspiration. I think this is your best weathering I have seen on any of your models/ dioramas up to data.
You have gone up another level i think with this build and that always means the spark is burning bright!
Love it Bob, just fantastic!

Ian.

Logistics, The Rolling Stock Update April 5, 2018

0000~15.JPG

Bob

Wasn't this in it's plastic underpants the last time I saw it around Thanksgiving?

It's looking great Bob! Of course sitting right at the edge of things it is "RIGHT THERE" to be looked at closely.

I_LIKE_IT.jpg

I am sure I will be by again sometime in the near future. Looking forward to seeing the progress in person.

thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

B) :notworthy :coolio

Well you 'nailed' that finish Bob!
:good: :drool
The multi - layered weathering is perfect - nothing like a little experimentation to drive inspiration. I think this is your best weathering I have seen on any of your models/ dioramas up to data.
You have gone up another level i think with this build and that always means the spark is burning bright!
Love it Bob, just fantastic!

Ian.

Thanks Ian!

It is amazing what you can do by accident, isn't it? :) A good thing I remembered how I did it as I still had the added parts and the Tender to finish as well!

Bob

Logistics, The Rolling Stock Update April 5, 2018

Wasn't this in it's plastic underpants the last time I saw it around Thanksgiving?

It's looking great Bob! Of course sitting right at the edge of things it is "RIGHT THERE" to be looked at closely.

I_LIKE_IT.jpg

I am sure I will be by again sometime in the near future. Looking forward to seeing the progress in person.

thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Thanks Paul,

No, actually, if you go back to page one of this thread, you will see where i actually painted it way back in November 2009, nearly 9 years ago. Do ya think the paint was hardened enough to weather? :)

Thanks,

Bob

Well, Finally finished! In fact, this only leaves one more in the "Rolling Stock" to wrap up. The K5E rail gun! I'm dreading that German Yellow already! No Pain, no Gain, I guess! I did get some ideas on how I will approach it from this locomotive, believe it or not!

I'll start with the cab. I finished it and photographed it before I sealed it completely in the sides and roof of the locomotive. You'll be able to see even less than I thought when It's on the diorama.

I dirtied it up some and left some coal on the floor.

777.JPG

Another angle.

7.JPG

Then some worm's eye shots of the locomotive.

0~16.JPG

00000~13.JPG

0000~16.JPG

999.JPG

Then the tender. I used some 1/25th scale coal that I glued over the fake coal cast in the top.

9999.JPG

Then I took it into the Museum and photographed it where it will be in the diorama. The train canopy shown here, will be collapsed from an Allied bomb further back and be strewn on and around the RR gun.

9.JPG

Imagine all those 435 figures in and around everything. It's going to be busy as hell, just like I planned it years ago!

000000~5.JPG

8.JPG

I thought this shot looked realistic, considering it's surroundings are not finished yet. I'm going to hang some Nazi posters on the wall beside the train, then smoke them up good and do the wear and tear thing! BTW, the steel columns on the side of the train are not set in place as yet and are leaning slightly. I will plumb them when they are installed permanently!

88.JPG

Another four Shermans to fill out that column!

9.JPG

99999.JPG

And a final shot of it from the rear!

000~17.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

That's it, I knew I had seen it with the rail gun, but it kind of blended in. Have one of those guns as well as a short film clip showing it being moved by a small square engine. Have the engine as well so it is in the stash for later on.

Watching-with-Popcorn.jpg

Wow, Bob! That is really impressive. When I saw the pictures of the completed interior, I was very impressed. Then as I scrolled down and saw the entire locomotive, I was even more-so. As I continued to scroll down it just kept getting better and better.

Cheers,
James

What normally would be a single outstanding build, this is on the sideline of your dio...thatbeing said, do you have a center piece focal point?

It's so special when you see magic unfolding right before your eyes. Spectacular Bob, it really is :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Laurence

Thanks much Laurence!

I appreciate it but, it's kinds hard to take credit for it. I was experimenting on how to weather it and it just happened on it's own. I had nothing to do with it! :) It just kinda fell out of the sky! :) Gotta love it when that happens!

Bob

Wow, Bob! That is really impressive. When I saw the pictures of the completed interior, I was very impressed. Then as I scrolled down and saw the entire locomotive, I was even more-so. As I continued to scroll down it just kept getting better and better.

Cheers,
James[/quote

Thanks James,

That M113 you're working on ain't shabby either! I love to see you guys in the Master's Forum pull off a grand Slam when first up to bat!

Makes me proud!

Bob

What normally would be a single outstanding build, this is on the sideline of your dio...thatbeing said, do you have a center piece focal point?

When I first conceived this diorama, I was 62. I decided it would be my last Hurrah as i knew it would take years to finish. (It has taken even longer than I thought). So, I wanted every component, every vehicle, to be the very best I could possibly make it, given the fact, that with the unusual number of buildings, vehicles and figures, I simply couldn't spend 6 months or a year on one figure or vehicle. It was sort of a personal challenge. I wanted to see if i could do it. (BTW, I still don't have the answer to that question).

Anyway, I started with a large German city near the end of the war, with George Patton trying to untangle a massive traffic jam with the aid of some M.P.s. So he would be at ground zero. Then, the Sherman column and the XYZ truck Express converging from two streets into a single one would be the reason for the focal point.

From there, I lay out the cityscape, keeping that focal point in mind, and the streets and buildings pop in my head, I suppose from spending so much time In Europe. After that basic layout, I begin thinking up ideas for various vignettes going on all over the diorama. I learned long ago that a huge diorama is boring without them. On this one, I stole an idea I got from Lewis Pruneau, at least in concept. Years ago, he built a Vietnam bus. It had nearly a hundred figures in and on it. It had always stuck in my mind as it had great drama that could have only occurred due to the number of figures, so, I decided to make the mass of refugees fleeing from the war to see if I could get the same "effect". (That, too, remains to be seen). Previously, I had used water in the front of the big ones, so that's where the locomotive and rail gun came into play. I didn't want another waterfront diorama.

Well, here I go again. Ask me what time it is and I tell you how to make a watch! :) Anyway, son, that's the main focal point. There will be a lot of scenes going on, but Patton is the central focus. With all the figures and vehicles, it was obvious to me that the only name for this diorama would be "Logistics".

Bob

Back